Scott Tail wheel manufacturer

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Scott Tail wheel manufacturer

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Is the Scott Tail wheel original manufacturer still extant in any form?

I know they were Tyco and they ceased mfg tailwheel.

Does any one try to make a market with the SCOTT name?

I don't know about Alaska Bushbaby.

Can not locate any recent trademark Renewal activity on Scott Tailwheel so appartently any one can use the name without fear of reprisal. If you do not renew TPO offers no protection.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
gfeher

Re: Scott Tail wheel manufacturer

Post by gfeher »

Scott Aviation, formerly of Lancaster, NY, was the original manufacturer of Scott tailwheels. They also manufactured oxygen equipment for aircraft. If fact, oxygen equipment was the principal line of the company. They also manufactured brake master cylinders and a few other items for aircraft. In 2001, Tyco bought the company and move operations to Monroe, NC. Tyco also changed the name to Scott Safety. Apparently, Scott Safety/Tyco dropped the tailwheel line, as none of its currect product catalogs include tailwheels, and tailwheels are not included in its products listed on its website. Current products include the well known lines of Scott respirators used by firefighters. Tyco recently merged with Johnson Controls, and last month Johnson Controls announced that it is selling Scott Safety to 3M.

I have a pdf of an interesting 1955 Scott Aviation catalog containing both the oxygen equipment and tailwheel lines (along with their other products at the time) but the forum software wont let me upload it because its more than 1 Meg.

As for current options (aside from serviceable used or NOS Scott parts if you can find them), Airframes Alaska/Alaskan Bushwheels has picked up the ball and is manufacturing and selling PMA'd tailwheels, assemblies and replacement parts interchangeable with the original Scott tailwheels, assemblies and parts. The AA/AB replacement parts I've bought so far have been at least as good as original Scott parts. As a bonus, AA/AB uses the same part numbering scheme as Scott - they just prefix the part number with "ABI."

That's about all I know, Grady. Others may know more.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I took a tour of Alaska Bushwneels in December, 2015. They are indeed in production.
New tailwheels ready to ship
New tailwheels ready to ship
ABI tailwheel parts bin with every part for their tailwheels
ABI tailwheel parts bin with every part for their tailwheels
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Richard, did Alaskan Bushwheels say anything about where they got the tooling to make their tailwheel parts? Just wondering whether they somehow acquired Scott's tooling.

The oxygen line of the former Scott Aviation is now with Avox Systems Inc. of Zodiac Oxygen Systems US operating in Lancaster, NY at Scott Aviation's old address. (The're affiliated with the same European Zodiac company that makes the inflatable boats.) So it doesn't look like the current Scott Safety of Tyco/Johnson Controls makes anything that Scott Aviation once made. Looks like just the name is left.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Gene-
I didn't ask about tooling for castings, etc but they do a lot of CNC finish machining in their shop.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!