Do you use Champion plugs?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

nippaero

Do you use Champion plugs?

Post by nippaero »

I bought a new Champion ignition harness for my 170 and was reading the history of Champion spark plugs. I found it quite interesting.

Once upon a time in Paris, France back in the 1890s, there was a speed cyclist who developed a passion for engines in motorcycles and cars. His primary interest was in developing the “sparking plugs” and his plugs were considered the best in the world. His name was Albert C. Champion. He put his name on each plug. In 1904, to be closer to the new automobile businesses in the USA, he moved to Flint, Michigan and founded the Champion Ignition Company. His partners, several brothers from Toledo named Stranahan, took over the company and froze Albert out (familiar story). But because of the established reputation, they held onto the Champion name. Today, in all the Champion historical literature, the name Albert Champion is never mentioned.

Albert Champion, with the backing of the Buick Motor Company, started a new company to manufacture quality spark plugs. He called it the AC Spark Plug Company. The “AC”, of course, happened to be Albert Champion’s initials. In 1916, United Motors was formed and eventually acquired Buick and AC Spark Plug. Albert became a millionaire.

In 1927, Lindbergh used AC spark plugs for his flight across the Atlantic. Albert, who had recently remarried, was with his new bride in Paris at a Lindbergh celebratory dinner. His wife, a former cabaret girl, had been carrying on an affair with a prize fighter. At the dinner, Albert impulsively kissed his wife. This so enraged the fighter, that he attacked Albert. Albert died within three days of the attack (the papers said heart failure). Years later, as Mrs. Champion lay in the hospital on her death bed, the fighter insisted on seeing her. The hospital security guards refused him entry. A fight ensued. The “fighter” was beaten to death. So the story goes. -DM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Champion_(cyclist)
Attachments
ac-spark-plugs-vintage-ads-1476934839935.jpg
18262.jpg
18262.jpg (21.86 KiB) Viewed 10516 times
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
GAHorn

Re: Do you use Champion plugs?

Post by GAHorn »

Rumor has it that Champion has given up that argument and has rid themselves of carbon-pile resistors, switching to a similar system as Tempest.

I use Tempest/Unison because they do not rust so readily.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
rydfly

Post by rydfly »

Tempest for me (massive electrode), mostly because they're typically a little bit cheaper per plug than Champions are. At least, that's how it's been every time I've needed a full set of 12.
1953 C170B - N170RP S/N 25865
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

New Champion REM40E plugs are indeed being built similar to Tempest.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Have been using Tempest plugs both in my own aircraft and fitting them to clients aircraft . Never had a problem , good wearing charactists. They do not corrode on the outer shell like the others do . Plus they are cheaper also .