Aircraft Spruce...grrrr

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

Aircraft Spruce...grrrr

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I'm not in the habit of vendor bashing but I'll make an exception in this case. On November 28, 2016 I ordered a headliner for my 170 from Aircraft Spruce. I was told at that time that it would be a two-week wait. As of December 13 it had not shipped, and I gave them another call, whereupon they told me it would be another two weeks due to the "Christmas rush". A call back on December 28, and they told me six more weeks. I (reluctantly) told them I'd wait. That was seven weeks ago. I checked their web site today, and is says No Stock (Expected Wed Mar 15 2017).

As it turns out, their seamstress quit some time ago, a fact I learned from a member here on the forums, not from Spruce. I called their customer service and asked them to explain why I had been strung along for 11 weeks when they knew they couldn't deliver the headliner in a timely manner. Their response was that they just didn't think it would take this long to hire a new seamstress and get her "up to speed", and denied stringing me along. I don't konw what else to call it.

I asked them how much longer it would be, and they admitted that they probably could not meet even the currently advertised date of March 15. I told them I'd be happy for them to order one from Airtex for me at Spruce's advertised price, and they said there is no way they would order from a competitor. I know that to be false, as a friend of mine in California ordered a headliner for his C-175 (the same one that would fit my 170) from Spruce several years ago, and it came with an Airtex tag sewn in it. Telling them I'd had an airplane waiting on the ground for 11 weeks a thousand miles from home waiting on their headliner failed to sway them.

Bottom line, I told Spruce to forget the headliner (and any future business from me), and ordered one from Airtex at more than double the price. Shame on Spruce for stringing me along; shame on me for allowing them to do it. :evil:
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
edbooth

Re: Aircraft Spruce...grrrr

Post by edbooth »

I think that complaint should go to the top dog at Spruce. That does not sound like the way they normally do business. Maybe they are getting too big for their britches. :?
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
butchpilot170

Post by butchpilot170 »

I am very upset with Aircraft Spruce also. Can't get a shipping cost when ordering items and when I do it's always higher then they tell me on the phone. I won't get in to specifics but I don't think they are the "good " company they used to be ! I'll be dealing with other companies just so I don't get p#%^@* off each and every order ! the ButchPilot !
VernH

Post by VernH »

I hope these are just isolated incidents. I have had the opposite experience so far. I ordered a new beacon yesterday and received an ETA of tomorrow. We will see. Sorry you guys have had trouble.
Fly safe!

Vern
1950 C-170A N5453C sn 19487
Based in Pensacola, FL. 82J
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I agree with Arash.

I guess if they don't have an item in stock, try to find it somewhere else since they don't mind lying about future shipping dates. Bad way to run a business.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

Man. I'm sorry to hear that. I have always had a great experience with AS. I recently bought some avionics from them that were backordered from one of their vendors and they kept me updated via email through the whole process.

FWIW I bought my headliner straight from Airtex. There was maybe a couple weeks lead-time.
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Something smells Crappy-in-Corona over this. The only headliners I've seen from Spruce were AirTex remarketed by them. I will send letters to both and see what transpires, with a report to the Membership. (I see they do have them in vinyl.... yechhh!) :cry:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Sorry to hear this. I've had good experience with AS online and on the few occasions I've needed to talk to a live person. Also, they match competitors' prices and they offer USPS shipping, both of which save me money.
DWood

Post by DWood »

So everyone is on the same page Spruce does make headliners in their East store and their seamstress left. This delayed headliner orders.
Dan
Hawkeyenfo

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

Hey, mine's vinyl! :lol:
Fly Navy !!!!

1941 Boeing PT-13D Stearman
1952 Cessna 170B
1960 Piper Aztec (PA23-250)
9976AJds

Post by 9976AJds »

Men, please contact Mr. Josh Solis at the Corona store he is the Product Support Manager. He will address/fix any problem you may have, Spruce is hopefully doing their best everyday for us. (PST) 951-372-9555 Ext 331.

Regarding Airtex, I used them for my Bellanca Decathlon, great quality, but expensive. Maybe the Club could get a Member discount. Perhaps the Staff could work that angle for the future. Best JD - See you at Sun and Fun