ADS B

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

lowNslow

Re: ADS B

Post by lowNslow »

gahorn wrote:
ADS-B is supposed to provide ATC coverage for aircraft outside radar coverage.

By DEFINITION... Class C airspace HAS terminal radar.... and anyone operating beneath the Class C floor/within the 30 nm veil.... already must have an altitude encoding transponder. IT IS NOT LIKE THEY WON'T ALREADY KNOW YOU'RE DOWN THERE!!!! .... so WHY does an airplane with no intention of entering Class C must have ADS-B OUT...??????? This rule will deny access to many hundreds of smaller airports whose traffic has almost NO effect on the primary airport.
Besides coverage, ADSB will also provide a more accurate position and a much faster refresh rate. (i.e. allow closer seperation in IFR ops). Granted, doesn't do much for VFR ops. Unfortunately I am based at a class C airport and will have to comply.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
GAHorn

Re: ADS B

Post by GAHorn »

A few years ago, leaving the Benton Harbor, MI convention.... we flew to Niagara Falls via the northern route...which placed us north of the Great Lakes along Canadian Airspace. It was a non-event and allowed us to completely skirt the bad weather south of the lakes. Jim and Lolly Wildharber learned of my routing plans and they were headed to New Hampshire so they did the same thing. It was a beautiful flight.

It won't be as simple now, according to AC90-114, Appendix 1. The paperwork submission requirements and time-frames required will make it virtually impossible if I read this correctly.
Attachments
ADSB-AC 90-114.pdf
AC90-114
(503.17 KiB) Downloaded 710 times
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)