Defecting to another type? Well probably not

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Metal Master

Defecting to another type? Well probably not

Post by Metal Master »

Defecting to another type.
Well I would if someone else would buy it. I got to fly my customers 180 HP Cub Crafters Carbon Cub Solo Yesterday afternoon. It had 29 inch Alaska Bush Wheel tires and he wanted me to change them out to 8:50 X 6 inch tires so that he would not wear out the $2,000 a piece Bush wheel tires on our sand paper coated airport at Auburn Washington S50. I had been given his blessing to fly the airplane as much as I wanted. So yesterday afternoon was my chance before changing out the tires.
I have never found any airplane I have flown easier to fly. Even easier than the champ. After doing a thorough walk around for the second time and checking out all of the accouterments of the airplane and checking the brake wear and physical position of the stabilizer. THERE IS NO TRIM INDICATOR IN THE CABIN. There is only a takeoff trim position decal on the fuselage adjacent to the stab leading edge. Having watched the videos and read the operator’s manual. All the operators manual say’s about setting the trim is “as required for all operations”.
Lining up on the runway one notch of flaps with slight forward pressure on the stick advancing the throttle in less than a count of 1,000 one, 1,000 2 the airplane was off the runway with the tail up and climbing at VX at 45 to 50 MPH. I was at 500 Ft. at less the 1/3rd the length of the 3500 ft. runway.
Heading off to the east I performed a series of steep turns, slow flight, approach and departure stalls at 3,000 ft. AGL. The airplane in approach stalls fly’s down to around 30 MPH with a mild break and stall warning at the break. Recovery is pushing the stick forward and it flies out of the stall. The airplane in departure does not really stall beyond a ridiculous deck angle it climbs nicely at 45 MPH. The actual landing was flying the approach with three notches of flaps at the beginning of final and slowing to 45 on short final with the runway made. A three point landing occurs with the 29” Alaska bush wheel tires absorbing the landing touch down - like landing on a mattress and virtually a walking speed roll out.
What a gas!
Marlon & His carbon Cub 29" Alaska Tundra tires
Marlon & His carbon Cub 29" Alaska Tundra tires
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!