Lyc IO360 upgrade

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cworman

Re: Lyc IO360 upgrade

Post by cworman »

The pics may not be quite clear enough. The Garmin reads 162mph GS & the JPI reads 62 percent power.
cworman N2218B
170C

Post by 170C »

I am always curious about the actual improvement in performance with the installation of a Lyc O360 with and without cs prop. Obviously more hp should result in some shorter take off and climb. How much, on a specific airframe, is difficult to judge since it would rely on to, climb & cruise speeds all being carefully determined with the O-300 engine vs the same airframe with identical factors and the O-360. Some additional improvement in to & climb would be expected I would think and probably a bit more with a cs prop. Additional cruise speed would be marginal I would think.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
cworman

Post by cworman »

Mr. Pokey,

As I mentioned earlier, I am going to have to play with the "Ol Girl" some more, in fact I did today, but what I am finding so far is remarkable! I had a friend fly me up in a 210 Centurion yesterday & we were talking about how it was going to be kind of difficult for him to tag along at the speeds we were figuring on traveling. He was shocked as I was. I have owned two 180's & have never made that trip as fast as I did with this 170, under the same conditions. And I have flown that route quite a lot. And I burned 17 gals & I ran her pretty rich. That is something I never got away with on my 180's. I want to be clear, I loved my 180's, but so far they have nothing on this little plane.

There is another one flying in Ar. somewhere that I want to compare notes with when I catch up with him some day. But in the mean time I will continue to get used to her.

Appreciate the feed back & conversations.
cworman N2218B
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Well I am also as excited as you reading your experiences. Its one of the best mods i have done and still having fun . I have done a heap of flying and tracked all my flights into some form of data. Originally i asked many people what could i expect and had all sort of stories from your cruise speed will not change , fuel burn will be so horrific ,you will not have any range and so on. I have been to 13,000ft and tried to do a cruise trip but extreme turbulence was a handicap. But. At 8,000ft i cruise between 125 to 130 kts depending on load and sucking 36 litres a hour . I changed my lower cowl a little [ all within the STC] but what has helped is GPS and electronic engine indication. I had to run a fixed pitch but still very pleased with performance . My STC is a Harry Delicker origin .
You will keep getting pleasing results as you lean about the performance factors. Cessna should have done this in the first place. [180 hp engine in a 170]
cworman

Post by cworman »

ghostflyer wrote:Well I am also as excited as you reading your experiences. Its one of the best mods i have done and still having fun . I have done a heap of flying and tracked all my flights into some form of data. Originally i asked many people what could i expect and had all sort of stories from your cruise speed will not change , fuel burn will be so horrific ,you will not have any range and so on. I have been to 13,000ft and tried to do a cruise trip but extreme turbulence was a handicap. But. At 8,000ft i cruise between 125 to 130 kts depending on load and sucking 36 litres a hour . I changed my lower cowl a little [ all within the STC] but what has helped is GPS and electronic engine indication. I had to run a fixed pitch but still very pleased with performance . My STC is a Harry Delicker origin .
You will keep getting pleasing results as you lean about the performance factors. Cessna should have done this in the first place. [180 hp engine in a 170]
Ghostflyer,
I am trying not to say to much as of yet, because I am still wrapping my head around this. It is that shocking for me! I expected a fairly significant improvement, but nothing like I am seeing so far. Thanks for your input, now I know I am not dreaming. I will be posting more results.

Out of curiosity, have you checked on the new approvals for the Hartzel composites on the Lyc IO360. Hartzel was just up testing 3 new props with Stoots last month. More to come. And yes, Cessna should have done it! Thanks again!
cworman N2218B
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

I have the DelAir O-360 on a 1955 C170B with sportsman kit. Plane is 1400 pounds empty. Prop is a MT composite 3-blade constant speed. I just returned from a 6500+ mile trip from Wisconsin to Alaska and back. I could count on 127 to 135 MPH TAS at cruise altitudes of 5500MSL to 8500 MSL burning 7.8 to 8.2 GPH. We were two persons full fuel and a LOT of baggage. When light and using the MT Ultra 80" 2-blade composite speed prop, it is easy to maintain 140 MPH TAS at cruise while burning 7.5 GPH at 7500' MSL.

John
Attachments
Johns '55 170B
Johns '55 170B
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

JohnNielsen wrote:I have the DelAir O-360 on a 1955 C170B with sportsman kit. Plane is 1400 pounds empty. Prop is a MT composite 3-blade constant speed. I just returned from a 6500+ mile trip from Wisconsin to Alaska and back. I could count on 127 to 135 MPH TAS at cruise altitudes of 5500MSL to 8500 MSL burning 7.8 to 8.2 GPH.
These are about the numbers I see with my Avcon/Hartzell aluminum CS combo. I'm probably about 5mph slower, but in the ballpark. (To be clear, a new MT is on my Christmas list, not only for the weight and performance, but to get rid of that stupid hub AD!) Gets out good, lands short, lots of room, comfy, efficient, and looks good. For an all around plane it's pretty hard to beat.

DEM
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

When do owners check their control surfaces for proper deflection. I have seen aircraft go years with out being checked. On a 100hrly cable tensions are sometimes checked ,maybe. The number of aircraft that come though our hangar workshop that do not have the right cable tensions of controls and being rigged incorrect is unbelievable . This includes my aircraft also. Originally i rigged all the control surfaces correctly when I was putting it together after purchase as a project, as per the book and then it flew a wing heavy. ALL the EXPERTS said adjust the offset wing bushes to bring the light wing down. Ok this was done ,aircraft flew "ok". Then the wings had to come off due to a off field landing [engine seizure , cont O-300]. So the reassembly started "again" and the wings concentric bushes were set at mid range this time , Both wings . The rerigging started at the control column and worked backwards. It was all going to together as expected and then surprise . The right hand aileron was totally out big time . The push rod from the wing bell rank to the aileron was about 3/4 in too long.
I later learnt that the aircraft had been tampered with by a person who had a grudge against me because i out bid him on the purchase of the assorted parts . He had purchased another lot of bits and pieces of a 170A and was wishing to purchase the lot I bought to make up a 170A. Now the end of the story is I found the aircraft went a lot better with all rigging correct and all the junk removed from under the seats.
cworman

Post by cworman »

Managed to get a few minutes of play time with the new mods. Weather has moved in, so it is the time of year here that we can have short windows of opportunity.

Take off in 3" wet snow, 2 notches flaps, w/ 8:50's, 350' ! Was easy to tape those fresh tracks! I stopped at local airport & made a couple quick short field take offs, with the 83" blade, & 3 notches flaps, you stay pretty busy keeping enough rudder to stay straight down the line. Time will tell but first thoughts, I would probably go a little shorter blade if I were to do it over, but lifts off immediately, then climbs like a Home Sick Angel ! Wind & clouds started rolling in & so we headed to the barn. Not a lot of info, but some for those who are interested.

And I agree with you, Ghost, rigging is everything !! Till the next go around!!
cworman N2218B
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Hi,
I just found this after looking for pictures and info on dads old plane. Its nice to see she's still flying....and even more surprising that the paint is still holding up after all this time! I remember watching dad paint prep it after it was stripped......I believe it was 1985! Your new panel looks very nice....but I do notice what looks like the same old audio panel...lol! This airplane holds many fond memories for me as it was the first plane I ever flew in and of course all the times dad took me flying.

Nice job!
cworman

Post by cworman »

Sky hawk,

Been out of the loop for quite awhile. I bought this little gal from a friend that purchased her from a fellow in Ca. I am assuming your father. He told me the story but I can't remember the name. He flew to Ca. And stayed several days with him flying and learning from him. I believe he had several of these at the time. I believe Len, (my friend) said he met him in Reno at the air races, but don't quote me on that. Len had flown many different airplanes at the time & had picked the 170 as the bird of choice. He talks of all he learned from the man & was very impressed. He also said he felt he was being tested to see if he, Len, was the type that the fellow would allow to take one of his birds. Len was very impressed! I hope we are talking about the same gentleman.

Clint
cworman N2218B
cworman

Post by cworman »

Hope this comes through, the pic of the panel. Just got the first upgrade to the avionics (that skyhawk mentioned). More to come with Lynnx NGT9000 soon to be installed.[resizeimg]
cworman N2218B
cworman

Post by cworman »

Well I still have not gotten this picture thing worked out! :x
cworman N2218B