Lyc IO360 upgrade

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

Re: Lyc IO360 upgrade

Post by ghostflyer »

One of my friends has a Cessna 182 and we have often done trips together, he in his Cessna 182 and myself in my 180hp. Cessna 170A. We leave at the same time but most times I am there before him . I have a fixed pitch prop and sit at 2550 rpm most times . Most times I beat him there by a few minuets and then have a go at him on such slow RED aircraft .
His 182 is built in 1975 and has the continental engine in it. However Greg (182 owner) is of the old school and will not use GPS. " They might switch it off when I am flying " . He will not go above 4000ft unless terrain requires him to climb higher . " The ground goes a lot slower when you are higher and its boring ." Quote Greg.
I look at the winds and direction and fly at or higher than 7800 ft and use GPS. I have found this to be the most economical cruise altitude . I often have a ground speed of excess of 135 kts plus. My fuel consumption is around 36 litres a hour or even less when with a strong tail wind . I throttle it back for fuel savings .
He has a go at me and states " what's under that cowl must be illegal for you to beat me " however I have found that GPS has saved me so much fuel/ time and having 180hp Lycoming clone ( Superior engine ) has really transformed this aircraft .
cworman

Post by cworman »

Well needless to say, but I am getting anxious to say the least! I have pics of the new "Heartbeat" hanging on the front of 2218B, but all the pics are to big to post & am not computer geek enough to change them. (so much for computers making life simple)
It is all pretty impressive though, but you will just have to take my word for it. Ole IO looks good hanging out there, which reminds me, I have a very nice O-300, firewall forward for sale or trade. 860Hrs on complete O/H - same time on prop s/new- starter drive new, very clean & dry. You will be ready to change oil by the time you need to add a quart.

As far as running with the Big Dogs (180's/182's) time will tell for me, but I believe I will be satisfied. I'm encouraged by everyone's own personal testimonies though.
cworman N2218B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I used to operate a Hawker out of Austin Mueller, while a friend operated a Lear out of the same hangar. We both often flew non-stop from there to DCA (Wash Nat'l). The Lear was 18 knots faster by specification, yet we typically had 10-15 minute shorter flight times.
We finally decided that choice of cruising altitude (we would choose FL370 to 410 eastbound and 310 to 350 westbound while the Lear operated about 3-5 thousand feet higher).. and actual flight-plan route... was the reason for the Hawker operating shorter flight times.

The point was also decided that over that distance (only about 1100 miles) the speed difference was not sufficient to allow the Lear any significant advantage and what advantage it did possess was lost on the navigational choices. (We had a crude RNAV system and often received "present heading until VOR-direct" while he did not and remained on airways.)

PS: The Hawker was only blue.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cworman

Post by cworman »

gahorn wrote:I used to operate a Hawker out of Austin Mueller, while a friend operated a Lear out of the same hangar. We both often flew non-stop from there to DCA (Wash Nat'l). The Lear was 18 knots faster by specification, yet we typically had 10-15 minute shorter flight times.
We finally decided that choice of cruising altitude (we would choose FL370 to 410 eastbound and 310 to 350 westbound while the Lear operated about 3-5 thousand feet higher).. and actual flight-plan route... was the reason for the Hawker operating shorter flight times.

The point was also decided that over that distance (only about 1100 miles) the speed difference was not sufficient to allow the Lear any significant advantage and what advantage it did possess was lost on the navigational choices. (We had a crude RNAV system and often received "present heading until VOR-direct" while he did not and remained on airways.)

PS: The Hawker was only blue.
Nothing beats the good ole school of "Hard Knocks" & a good memory bank!!

Thanks for sharing some real good insight.
cworman N2218B
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

cworman wrote:?.......... I have pics of the new "Heartbeat" hanging on the front of 2218B, but all the pics are to big to post & am not computer geek enough to change them. (so much for computers making life simple)............

I have the same problem with pictures. What I have found that works for me is to email the pictures to myself, then save them from the email back to my computer. The email downsizes the pictures small enough to post here.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
cworman

Post by cworman »

hilltop170 wrote:
cworman wrote:?.......... I have pics of the new pics are to big to post & am not computer geek enough to change them. (so much for computers making life simple)............
"Heartbeat" hanging on the front of 2218B, but all the

I have the same problem with pictures. What I have found that works for me is to email the pictures to myself, then save them from the email back to my computer. The email downsizes the pictures small enough to post here.

Thanks for the info. I tried it & got photos down to 640 pix, but still won't take them. I thought that it would take up to 2000 pix! Anyway, thanks again.
cworman N2218B
4583C

Post by 4583C »

cworman wrote: Thanks for the info. I tried it & got photos down to 640 pix, but still won't take them. I thought that it would take up to 2000 pix! Anyway, thanks again.
I am geek challenged as well. :oops: There is a length and height requirement as well which can sometimes be cured by cropping the pic.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

You geek challenged people need to carefully read my instructions found here: http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... =12&t=8777

From the instructions:
First there is a file size limit. Currently that is set to 1.5MB per file but I have successfully uploaded files as large as 2.1MB but not 2.3MB. If your file won't load make it smaller by reducing it's physical size. In the case of a picture, 2000 x 2000 pixels or less will usually be a good size.
The limit is a file that is 1.5mb or smaller. As I stated you might get away with a file up to about 2.1mb. There is no pixel limitation. My experience is that a photo file under 2000x2000 pixels will be small enough to work. If it doesn't, make it smaller.

It wasn't to many years ago professional photographers spent thousands on cameras to take pictures at half the resolution that an IPhone, IPad or any Android device in the hands of amateurs can take today.

Why don't we allow larger file sizes? Because in theory this forum is forever. A photo stored 10 years ago is still being stored. And we pay for that storage space each and every month. If we double the file size allowed we will be paying twice what we need to pay forever to store the picture.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
cworman

Post by cworman »

1954 Cessna 170B  N2218B
1954 Cessna 170B N2218B
Well we are getting closer to sharing pics! Everyone, meet my girl!!
cworman N2218B
cworman

Post by cworman »

100_4524.JPG
100_4530.JPG
Here are a couple of shots, I may have figured this out, maybe.
cworman N2218B
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

By the looks of the above pictures, that exhaust systen is going to require a larger than standard cowling. Is it some kind of an STCd installation ?
BL
cworman

Post by cworman »

blueldr wrote:By the looks of the above pictures, that exhaust systen is going to require a larger than standard cowling. Is it some kind of an STCd installation ?
The original cowling works, this picture kind of has a distorted look to it. It is the Stoots Upgrade. I have some other pics that I will put out at different angles that will put it in perspective.
cworman N2218B
cworman

Post by cworman »

Wanted to spread the word that Stoots STC now covers the Hartzel Trail Blazer carbon fiber props! Some may not be aware of that yet.

2218B is coming along well, running cables, wires, & all the smaller time eaters! It is a very clean installation, with very few hiccups so far.
cworman N2218B
cworman

Post by cworman »

I will be selling FWF with O300 w/840hr on overhaul @ prop 840 hr since new. {SOLD} There is fire wall style battery box in excellent condition w/battery. Engine runs excellent with very minimal oil consumption. Overhaul was performed by Arlin's Aircraft Service in Montana. If you check you will find plenty of references on them. Top shelf. More to follow.
cworman N2218B
cworman

Post by cworman »

IMG_1228.jpg
My original panel overlay was broken. Just got the new one installed & I think it looks good. I really like the layout the shop has done! :D
cworman N2218B