This is why I own my 170!

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

I flew with the family into Half Moon Bay to meet up with my sister and her husband. It was a beautiful February day in California with 70 degree temps, smooth air, and no marine layer to get in our way. My wife was smiling because I actually had my radio, transponder, interphone, and everything else working perfectly. As we got into the Bay area we flew right over the top of the Golden Gate at the same time a flight of two Stearmans were transiting from the other direction. As we went down the coast we flew right over my brother in law and sister as they were catching some waves just north of Half Moon Bay. I greased on the landing (my wife said there was still room for improvement) taxied to park and shortly after I watched Aryana cross the fence in his beautiful 170.

We unpacked, and went directly to the bar right out the back gate of the airport! After plenty of PBR’s at the Silver Star we hit the beach and got some take out at Sams Chowder House. We stayed at kind of a run down ocean side motel but it served the purpose and actually had availability on Valentines Day and conveniently was right across the road from the airport.

After a romantic evening (yeah right) sleeping in a small motel room with two kids under 4 we were more than ready in the morning to pack up and head on to Monterey. The flight down the coast was beautiful! Getting into Monterey and dodging all the jets arriving and departing to pick up the golfers and celebs playing at Pebble Beach was a challenge. We parked at the Monterey Jet Center which was hilarious. We were pretty much the only non shiny jet and felt a little bit out of place. They squeezed us in somewhere between about 50 jets, and got a kick out of how we rolled into parking with the engine shut down. My wife rolled her eyes as all the line guys kept coming over to have a look at our old antique when they could have been looking at the million dollar jets. I can’t say enough about the staff at the Jet Center who were more than accommodating to us. The gave us a curtesy car to go the the acquarium, fed my kids, gave them toys, and treated my airplane with respect. I felt bad when my fuel bill came in for only 15 gallons for which I actually apologized. They all said I was being crazy, and stressed that they are friendly to the little guys just like they are for the big jets. They have my business again if I ever go back.

Smooth flight home and I didn’t even mind the 15 knot headwind as the boys slept in the back and my 65 year old engine purred up front! What a weekend!

This is why I own my 170! I was hoping to start a thread so more of you can share the experiences that make you feel so lucky for owning such an amazing little airplane.
Attachments
Stearmans
Stearmans
KHAF
KHAF
Down the coast
Down the coast
Monterey Jet Center
Monterey Jet Center
One of these things is not like the other
One of these things is not like the other
C170U2

Re: This is why I own my 170!

Post by C170U2 »

This is why!
Attachments
Flight home
Flight home
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Sweeet!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Mike, sounds like you had a great weekend. I am based at MRY, wish I knew you were in town so I could get a peek at your bird. My wife and I got the same treatment as you when we went to a wedding in LA and landed at Van Nuys airport and went to one of the 7 (?) jet centers there. It was like a racing pit, they were all over the airplane very excited to see an old bird roll in and brought the rental car we reserved right up to the airplane, loaded our bags into the car and told us we were good to go they would take care of the rest. As we drove away my wife asked "What is THAT going to cost us?". Like you just a tank of gas.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
170C

Post by 170C »

That's a good story! As you said, that is a good reason to own a 170. I can see two future pilots in the making in the back seat :D
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

It's 15 degrees and I am out of annual.
You guys are making me feel bad.
rickyricky2

Post by rickyricky2 »

It was -3 this morning at Plymouth MA. Snow banks 8 feet high and my 170 is in a heated hanger for its annual. I may have to move to CA.

Dick Bryant
2704C
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

Sorry....probably kind of cruel to post these pretty pictures when so many of you east coasters are up to your head in snow.

That beings said, lets see some sweet ski flying pictures or other adventures enjoyed by you folks in harsher climates that make you happy to own your 170.
sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

DSCN0953_cropped_and_smaller.jpg
Ragwing S/N 18073
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

C170U2 wrote: I can’t say enough about the staff at the Jet Center who were more than accommodating to us. The gave us a curtesy car to go the the acquarium, fed my kids, gave them toys, and treated my airplane with respect. I felt bad when my fuel bill came in for only 15 gallons for which I actually apologized. They all said I was being crazy, and stressed that they are friendly to the little guys just like they are for the big jets. They have my business again if I ever go back.

Good to hear, but not necessarily surprising. Savvy FBO's know that lotsa bizjet pilots fly airplanes like 170's on their days off, or hang out with guys like you that do. They bigshot in back just wants to go LA. It's often up to the guy in front which airport they actually land at. He's the person you really need to market to. Plus, you never ever qualify your customer. I know people who have walked into a booth at EAA and plunked down for a new bizjet. You wanna know what they look like? Find a mirror.

But beyond that, I've found that most people at airports are, surprise...surprise, airplane people! The like big ones, little ones, old ones, new ones, etc... they just like airplanes. Oh sure some airline people are there cuz it's a job, and I'm sure some of the FBO people are too, but face it, there must be something beyond the long/odd hours and below average pay that draws people to the job.

DEM
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

flyboy122 wrote:
C170U2 wrote: I can’t say enough about the staff at the Jet Center who were more than accommodating to us. The gave us a curtesy car to go the the acquarium, fed my kids, gave them toys, and treated my airplane with respect. I felt bad when my fuel bill came in for only 15 gallons for which I actually apologized. They all said I was being crazy, and stressed that they are friendly to the little guys just like they are for the big jets. They have my business again if I ever go back.

Good to hear, but not necessarily surprising. Savvy FBO's know that lotsa bizjet pilots fly airplanes like 170's on their days off, or hang out with guys like you that do. They bigshot in back just wants to go LA. It's often up to the guy in front which airport they actually land at. He's the person you really need to market to. Plus, you never ever qualify your customer. I know people who have walked into a booth at EAA and plunked down for a new bizjet. You wanna know what they look like? Find a mirror.

But beyond that, I've found that most people at airports are, surprise...surprise, airplane people! The like big ones, little ones, old ones, new ones, etc... they just like airplanes. Oh sure some airline people are there cuz it's a job, and I'm sure some of the FBO people are too, but face it, there must be something beyond the long/odd hours and below average pay that draws people to the job.

DEM

Yeah, as a military guy taking jets around the country, you get used to the nice FBO's who try to draw in the military pilots with free food and attractive help. Millionaire has done a great job at this. The Air Force has tried to crack down on some of this but we still know where to go :wink: .

It was just nice to get the same good treatment for a sub 100 dollar fuel bill!

Great shot of the 170 on skis!!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

C170U2 wrote:This is why!
Eventually they get bigger, and then you have this reason why!
GoingtochapparalResize2.jpg
And this!
AtchapparalResize2.jpg
sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

Aryana wrote: ....I really like seeing VGs on the fabric wing too :twisted:
Good eyes!
Ragwing S/N 18073
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

rickyricky2 wrote:It was -3 this morning at Plymouth MA. Snow banks 8 feet high and my 170 is in a heated hanger for its annual. I may have to move to CA.

Dick Bryant
2704C
I'll have a house for sale in a few months... :wink:

It got into the 70's every day of my 4-day weekend, even up here at 4000ft. We opened windows on the sunny side of the house to cool down the inside. It just ain't natural for February. :?
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Pdogace

Post by Pdogace »

Hello! This is my first time to make a post to this forum, however I have been lurking in the background since I bought 1949C last April. My wife and I are both pilots and we recently went to the Chilly Chili fly-in at Triple Tree Aerodrome in SC. We took our two boys, a three week old newbie on his first cross country and a 2 year old seasoned traveler. We are based just northwest of Atlanta. Anyway, it turned out to be a severe clear and warm day. If you ever get a chance to go to Triple Tree I highly recommend it!!! It is an AWESOME grass strip and incredible venue. I would guess that over 300 airplanes showed up for chili. I have attached several pictures that are from multiple adventures. We plan on attending the 170 convention in July so we hope to meet you all then!! Have a great week and remember to be safe out there!!
Attachments
IMG_9627.jpg
IMG_6698.jpg
IMG_6611.jpg
IMG_5281.jpg
IMG_5274.jpg
Preston
1954 C170B "Sweet Caroline"