This is why I own my 170!

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: This is why I own my 170!

Post by GAHorn »

gahorn wrote:[...
I would think one would have to be enamored of a glass-cockpit installation in a Classic airplane tho'.
hilltop170 wrote:... I don't think new equipment detracts from the classic appeal. ...]
I wonder what old-timer might be sneering at me over my strobes, solid-state Txdr and Aera 510. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Having shot a practice approach into Grand Prairie with Richard in his 195, I can say definitely that airplane is the best of both worlds. If I had a later model 170, I would be all over dual G5’s, but the aesthetic of the round instruments in the 7-hole panel of a piano key-style panel has appealed to me as long as I can remember. I’m even debating putting the Jack and Heinz DG that was installed back in 1952 back in the airplane, but I suspect that it will likely end up being a Century HSI. That DG is a pretty cool looking book end on the bookshelf in my office. :D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

:lol:
My "original" panel...
My "original" panel...
...with a few changes...
...with a few changes...
Night-view
Night-view
InstLtsRed.jpg (45.82 KiB) Viewed 142458 times
The Aera 510 is not depicted, but it mounts atop the panel where the "handhold" resides.

Just poking fun at myself for my previous posting and my "originality nut" status... :lol:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

With the Wx forecast to be above freezing I thought it appropriate to fly yesterday. It would’ve been my Dad’s 90 birthday had he been alive. He’s the one who got me hooked on flying. He had owned a C170 and it was a reason Becky and I bought one as well.

So I’m out putttering around yesterday checking on the ice fishermen and just thinking of my Dad. I entered the pattern at a small Southern MN airport and heard another pilot in the pattern state that he was going to do a low pass. I sidestepped to let him go by and glanced to my left to see a polished P-51 go whizzing by, climb sharply and do a wing over on his departure to the west into the setting sun.

What’s the chance of that occurring at a small nowhere airport and while I’m flying? I’d like to think it was more than just coincidence. Whatever it was - I certainly smiled as the pilot continued on to some unknown place off into the sunset.

The analogy certainly wasn’t lost on me thinking of my Dad.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Kyle Wolfe wrote:With the Wx forecast to be above freezing I thought it appropriate to fly yesterday. It would’ve been my Dad’s 90 birthday had he been alive. He’s the one who got me hooked on flying. He had owned a C170 and it was a reason Becky and I bought one as well.

So I’m out putttering around yesterday checking on the ice fishermen and just thinking of my Dad. I entered the pattern at a small Southern MN airport and heard another pilot in the pattern state that he was going to do a low pass. I sidestepped to let him go by and glanced to my left to see a polished P-51 go whizzing by, climb sharply and do a wing over on his departure to the west into the setting sun.

What’s the chance of that occurring at a small nowhere airport and while I’m flying? I’d like to think it was more than just coincidence. Whatever it was - I certainly smiled as the pilot continued on to some unknown place off into the sunset.

The analogy certainly wasn’t lost on me thinking of my Dad.
Kyle, if it had been me entering the pattern at that airport, the other airplane would have been a Stearman... :wink:
Cropped Miles with Dad and Stearman.jpg
Cropped Miles with Dad and Stearman.jpg (42.76 KiB) Viewed 142152 times
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

That's a GREAT PIC, Miles!

Thanks for letting us put a face with the stories about your Dad!

When/where was that taken?
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Thank you George. It was taken at Dad's house on Love's Landing (97FL) near Weirsdale, Florida. If I remember correctly, it was Thanksgiving week in 2000.

Here he is 6-7 years later with someone else you know. :D
DadHarley.jpg
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Good pictures (and memories too!) Miles! Thanks for sharing.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
dsc45shooter

Post by dsc45shooter »

I enjoyed all the replies to this post. Makes me want a 170 even more! I start my tailwheel endorsement training this Saturday. Will be looking for an addition to the family soon thereafter! Probably a 170B if I can find a decent one. Seems the way to go compared to the early 170 and A model.
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

One of those beautiful Spring-is-almost-here Sundays in the Atlanta area. I've been watching the weather forecast for the past five days with fingers crossed. After too much rain, grey, clouds, and cold - today held promise of clear skies and light winds. Sunday arrived, and it most certainly was.

A good runner friend joined me (neither my wife nor my son was able to go) for the two-hour flight from Falcon Field in Peachtree City (KFFC) south to Panama City Beach (KECP). Not a bump to be felt and the views were amazing. He earned his PPL fifteen years ago, but stopped flying shortly thereafter as kids and finances and family stressors took priority. First time back in a small plane and the smile on his face was beauty to behold. A short Uber ride from the FBO to the beach and we were munching on bacon cheeseburgers, listening to a B-grade singer belt our pseudo-karaoke, and watching the parade of people on the beach. Let the salt water air and lovely sun peel away the stress of the following weeks. Three hours later, back at the FBO and into Baby for the two-hour flight back to Atlanta.

This is why we purchased a 170 last year.

Traveling to the beach and back for lunch, in your own plane, most certainly does not suck.
Attachments
IMG_0363 1.jpg
IMG_0366 1.jpg
IMG_0359 1.jpg
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716