BAS shoulder harness recommendations

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

crwrpmr

BAS shoulder harness recommendations

Post by crwrpmr »

I will be purchasing the BAS inertia reel shoulder harness for my 170B. They offer the standard buckle where the shoulder straps are permanently attached to the lapbelt and the utility buckle where the shoulder straps are placed on the buckle when securing.
Currently I have the utility buckle but think the standard buckle will be easier to manage when strapping in and unstrapping.
The aircraft is wheel equipped and I fly with the shoulder straps on.
The contact at BAS tells me he sells more of the utility buckle.
Would anyone have any thoughts?
bagarre

Re: BAS shoulder harness recommendations

Post by bagarre »

The utility buckle might make emergency egress easier.
Past that, I think it's just preference.
sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

I have the one that has the shoulder harness permanently attached to the lap belt fittings.
I really like it for ease of getting myself strapped in. I just reach back overhead, find the shoulder harness strap, follow it down the end fitting, then latch.
I do not find any issue with egress. But I am sure that you could imagine scenarios where it is possible that it could interfere, particularly with rear seat occupants. (Of course, my rear seat has not been installed for years.)

However, the down side occurs during loading stuff into the back of the airplane, and during annual inspection or maintenance time, when the darn things always seems to be in the way.

Overall, I am quite happy with them the way they are, and would probably buy the same arrangement next time.
Ragwing S/N 18073
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

sfarringer wrote: However, the down side occurs during loading stuff into the back of the airplane, and during annual inspection or maintenance time, when the darn things always seems to be in the way.
This is true. I stick mine up over the sun visors. Be careful or the metal ends will scratch everything. There are tradeoffs both ways.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Loading stuff into the back of the airplane is greatly simplified with a baggage door installation. :twisted:
(But the safety aspects of shldr hrness is certainly a better expenditure of limited funds.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

At annual time I fully extend my harnesses and roll them up inside a Ziploc baggy and let the inertial real hold the package against the head liner.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I had BAS harnesses with the utility buckles in another airplane. I liked them and will get them when I put BAS in my 170. The first few times I used them they were annoying, but got good with them quickly, and I really liked the convenience of having them out of the way for loading and unloading. But I doubt you'd regret your choice either way.
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

I have installed at least a dozen BAS shoulder harnesses. A few of them with the permanently attached shoulder straps. I have then continued to maintain these aircraft over the years both flying and periodic and annual maintenance. I have found the permanently attached straps to be more annoying than the detachable units. I like the ability to jump in the airplane and make a quick reposition on the airport and just put the lap belt on. On occasion I like to be able to detach the shoulder harness while in cruise flight. Although they have never been restrictive or make getting to the flap handle an issue. Part of the STC allows little optional Velcro pads to be attached to the forward carry though to pull the straps out and attach them for stowage. I have never installed these and find reaching over my shoulder with both arms and hands to be no big problem. They do dangle in the way when loading the back of the airplane or hang in the rear passengers way but they are easy to secure out of the way. I rarely fly with back seat passengers but when I do they usually hand me the shoulder harness with out prompting. Not That I need them to.
Jim
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Metal Master wrote:... I like the ability to jump in the airplane and make a quick reposition on the airport and just put the lap belt on. ... Jim
I bought the BAS inertial reels after I read an accident report where a young lady died after nosing over her Luscombe and having the altimeter set knob punch a hole in her forehead. My airplane doesn't roll under power without the front passengers having seat belts and shoulder harnesses on and adjusted.

I don't even remember whether there was a choice in the 1990's when I installed mine, but they are non-detachable units. I wouldn't have it any other way. After adjusting the seat I reach down and find the floor end of both straps (by the braille method...), then slide my hands up the straps until they come to the buckles.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
crwrpmr

Post by crwrpmr »

Gentlemen, thank you for your responses.
Some considerations were made that helped me make my choice. It's nice to call upon the experience of the members to make a researched decision.
Rob
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

i'm looking at my nut-plates in the carry through channel and of course they haven't been threaded for the life of the plane i'm sure. from what i gather, the thread is 10-32, correct? now, what is on the other side? a legal aircraft nut to capture the bolt, nylock? i need to chase the threads but don't want to bugger anything up.
are the rear shoulder nut-plates the same from your experience?
Mschwarzkopf

Post by Mschwarzkopf »

I have the utility harness with Velcro attachment points in the headliner. They invariably detach from the headliner every time! The amount of Velcro provided is not enough surface area for the weight of the harness blades. Mine just end up dangling behind the front seats when not in use.
Mike Schwarzkopf
'51 C170A - N1471D
rickyricky2

Post by rickyricky2 »

Hi All
I just had my BAS shoulder harness installed at annual. I worked with my mechanic and they are great. Mine have the straps attached to the buckle and have to get use to them. I can now reach the flap handle with the shoulder harness on. I use to leave my old ones loose all the time because I could not reach the flap handle with them tight (no retract reel).

Dick Bryant
54 170B
N2704C
flat country pilot

Post by flat country pilot »

I have the BAS utility harness and I would purchase it again. I never installed the Velcro.
Leave the shoulder straps attached to the lap belt and the lap belt connected across the front seat. When loading into the back seat slide the front seat forward and the shoulder harness stays with the front seat.

I leave the lap belt and shoulder harness connected across the seat while I climb in. Then reach behind my back with both hands, unlatch lap belt and bring it forward and reconnect it accross my lap. This is also simpler for passengers compared to loose seat belts randomly hanging everywhere.

Bill
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

just to update my previous post... indeed they are 10-32 as per the IPC. i took some fluid and used a Stainless screw to work the threads clean. probably took 25min per nutplate but i have them both threaded now. i'm working on the front spar nutplates now. i'll do the rear seat ones another time.