Personal Locator Beacons

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

gfeher

Personal Locator Beacons

Post by gfeher »

I've decided to pick up a personal locator beacon (PLB). The past posts on the topic are a bit dated now, so any current recommendations from those of you who have them? I'm interested in one that I can use in at least the US and Canada. Pros and cons based on actual experience would be great. Thanks in advance.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
4583C

Re: Personal Locator Beacons

Post by 4583C »

Gene
I put this in google “plb on advrider.com” and got way more threads on the subject than I had time to study. Good to meet you in Cody.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I carry an ACR ResQLink, PLB-375. I don't fly over water, so I didn't get the floating type.

I've never needed to use it, so I can't tell you whether it works, but I always keep it in my pocket when I'm flying.
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

I have both a Spot and an ACR link. I used the spot so that Phyllis could track me when I went flying. She enjoyed seeing where I was going and I could send I'm safe messages. But it does not use the satellite chain, and it can not be received in some shadowed under tree or mountains ranges. The ACR I got the floating type because I carry it in my vest when I am hiking in the back country. And I carry it on my person or in my vest while flying and I play in or near the rivers.
Since Phyllis passed away I haven't turned the Spot on.
Jim
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Paul, thanks for the useful links. Very helpful. I enjoyed meeting you in Cody as well. I had a good time at the convention.

Dave and Jim, I'm leaning towards the ACR as well. I don't really need messaging and I like the fact that it doesn't require a subscription. But it appears that you need separate units for the US and Canada. Jim, sorry to hear about your wife.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I have an ACR older unit and never had to use it. I register every couple years when I am notified to re-register it from SARSAT.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
Grizzley

Post by Grizzley »

I have an ACR ResQLink+

I also have a SPOT (1st generation) also, used it for one season and did not find it useful for me. Don't use it anymore. The new models seem nice, but the annual fees are high when you break it down to $$ per Hour flown in my case.

The big advantage to the PLB is that it is registered to me, not the plane or other vehicle. I take it RV'ing, hunting, fishing, etc. it is on me. All that with no anual fees.
Some of my friends have the newer version of SPOT and/or SpiderTracks which is very nice to broadcast breadcrumbs, etc. but I find the annual fees out of this world for us flatlanders.
I tell Wendy where I am going and when I expect to be back, that is when she is not with me.
I carry season appropriate survival gear for area(s) I will be flying in. You can get in enough trouble flying North just a couple hours from here.

I like the ACR PLB. Don't foget to register it.
JD
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Thanks for all the comments. I did a little more research on the ACR ResQLink units. Aircraft Spruce reports in its "Questions" tab for the product that although the US version is sold only to US users because of its US programming, it can be used internationally. Also, Spruce is selling the waterproof version of the basic US unit for about the same price as the non-waterproof version. The waterproof version is a slightly larger and heavier than the non-waterproof one. For both units, the battery must be replaced every 5 years by the ACR service center. (They cannot be replaced by the user.)
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
Grizzley

Post by Grizzley »

Gfer is right, sameas with ELT's, there are models for USA and International, including Canada.
Some manufacturers have USA, Canada, and International...
I got my ACR from Spruce (Canada), an International model, Spruce registered it for me. When I contacted the Registry to register my new 406 ELT, they asked if I had another unit registered. I told them about the ACR, they could not find it. I registered it over the phone, being they already had my info from the ELT registration; it then came up in their system as unregistered, they fixed that.
By the way, it works everywhere, not restricted to Canada.
Grizz