OSH-18 70th Anniversay Camping?

Upcoming aviation events and reports.

Moderators: gahorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: OSH-18 70th Anniversay Camping?

Postby sfarringer » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:58 am

Stopped at Dodge County when I heard what was happening at Fisk. Sounded like an accident waiting to happen!
Will try again in the morning.

Update: Made it in to OSH about 8:00 this morning! Pattern was the most disorganized I have seen it in prior years, but nothing like yesterday afternoon. Glad to be here!
Last edited by sfarringer on Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ragwing S/N 18073
sfarringer

Postby brianm » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:18 pm

A friend sent me a link to some unlucky SOB in an RV8: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N93 ... /KATW/KATW

Took off from Appleton at 1:00 PM. Landed back at Appleton 5 HOURS LATER without making it into OSH.
Brian M
N2669V - '48
brianm

Postby c170b53 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:08 am

Last night was incredible, Mother Nature put on a show. I’ve never experienced rolling thunder, thunder that crackled with authority as it worked itself right across the sky. Inside my tent I awaited the wind which surely would have me trying to keep the plane on the ground but got lucky, it never really, fully blew. I got tired, pumped up my air mattress to max inflation, tucked myself into my sleeping bag and awaited to be floated. Some campers got very wet but I lucked out.
I packed up and left this morning, I’m presently in Spearfish SD overnighting not wanting to risk being tagged by the buildups around Billings.
Got to say the group camping was fantastic. I meet a ton of 170 owners I’ve never met before. Thanks so much to Dan Wood and Dave Finamore, thanks men spectacular work. I also saw some of the blue bloods, Miles, Jay, Glenn D, Dale plus on the mend Trudy, Jim Collins, and many more. Meet a a whole bunch of young guns, just ripe to take over from us crusty’s. Maybe 40 , 170’s there at the group camp and a bunch about the show. Thanks EAA, in hind sight my camping experience last year wasn’t that bad. Guess I’m just a whiner.
This is year two in a row for me, I think I’m understanding why it’s called “ The Calling “. Man I love these 170 guys and I love my plane.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
c170b53

Postby brian.olson » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:44 am

It was great meeting everyone at "the gathering"! What an amazing group of talented, warm and welcoming people. Though I had to park at Fond du Lac due to the hornet's nest on Sunday, it was an easy commute back/forth each day (BTW, I can't say enough positive things about the experience camping at FLD ... I'll do it again next year). My brother and his son flew commercial back to their home in Colorado Wednesday afternoon, and after looking at the weather forecast I quickly packed up 62C and beat the storm south. I left around 3pm and with OSH airspace shut down due to the airshow, I had the sky to myself all the way down to Terre Haute, IN where I spent the night. Two quick legs yesterday morning and I was home south of Atlanta just after lunch time.

Big thanks to Dave, Dan and the rest for organizing the experience!

I'm off to the hangar to rip out the seats, as the remainder of our Airtex interior arrived while I was gone ...
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
brian.olson

Postby c170b53 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:24 am

On the way home stopped in Owatonna, Watertown, for fuel, overnighted in Spearfish, fueled in Three Forks, Kellogg, Arlington, customs in Boundry bay, ya baby home in bed tonight.
Met the Wolfe’s Kyle, owner of the bottomless beer chest and Becky, owner of the endless snack cooler, super nice couple at Oshkosh. Thanks for the all the giggles we had one evening at the show.
Need to change the oil, new pads for the brakes and I’m ready for another run.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
c170b53

Postby Kyle Wolfe » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:16 pm

Jim, you stopped in Owatonna and didn’t shout out to let me buy you lunch? Shame sahame!!

Thanks Dave and Dan! Great to meet new friends and catch up with previous ones. Nice show of attendees from the 170 clan. And good to see younger flyers as well.

Sorry we had to leave early for work commitments. So much fun!!
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
Kyle Wolfe

Postby c170b53 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:52 pm

Very nice spot Kyle, great base.
A few have asked since, what I thought about the arrival ?
Reflecting back on it, I think this experience says it all.....
After tying my machine down and setting up the tent, I ran over to a food vendor to get something before they closed. I ordered a Burger and then asked the teller whether they sold beer. Her reply, “ sorry no beer sales but... I can tell you really need one, I’ve got some in a cooler in the trunk of my car, come and get it.”
That made my stay.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
c170b53

Previous

Return to Events/Fly-ins