Texas Aug. 19th Fly-In to Tyler

Upcoming aviation events and reports.

Moderators: gahorn, Bruce Fenstermacher

Texas Aug. 19th Fly-In to Tyler

Postby c170ken » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:54 pm

Texas C-170 Assoc. members and guests, as well as members from Oklahoma and Louisiana met at Tyler Ponds Regional Airport on National Aviation Day, August 19th for our monthly fly-in. It was a great CAVU day with a light breeze, so the perfect chance to fly and associate with comrades. We arrived at the airport before lunch time and the café had a table set up just for us. Great food and service. After lunch everyone toured the Historic Aviation Memorial Museum co-located with the café. A very well organized museum giving credit to many time periods and areas of military and civil aviation. Everyone appreciated each others attendance and hope more can join us in the future. The wonderful Cessna 170 friends and guests we were privileged to spend the day with included: Rich & Nancy Faust, Keith Cavin, Brian & Jacob Cryer, Bob Edmondson, Jim & Vicky Yates, Wendell Wyborny, George Horn, Henry Ehrlich & friend Sandy, Gary & Deana Hanson, Naomi Goodlett and Ken Peck.
2017-08-19 Tyler, TX (3) - Copy.JPG
2017-08-19 Tyler, TX (2) - Copy.JPG
2017-08-19 Tyler, TX (9) - Copy.JPG
c170ken

Re: Texas Aug. 19th Fly-In to Tyler

Postby hilltop170 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:06 pm

Looks like you guys had a great time! How many planes flew in? I remember the tuna salad in tomato halves was excellent the last time I was there.

See y'all in October.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
hilltop170

Postby 170C » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:38 pm

We had planned to be in Tyler over that weekend for Becky's mothers 91st birthday and we could have attended, but unfortunately she didn't feel like making the trip. Missed doing so. That is a good museum. I have been in it a couple of times and the restaurant is good. They have a, to die for desert with ice cream & brownies. Some of the planes used to be at the Pate Museum of Transportation near Crescent, Tx between Fort Worth and Granbury. Looks like a good turnout!
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
170C

Postby gahorn » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:53 pm

It has been almost 20 years since I was at TYR... when that room was the main terminal pax lounge. The museum is a real surprise as to what all they have in there. Lots of personal "liberated" war memorabilia as well as uniforms, and static display aircraft.

The old "Terminal Café" is gone....(they'd lost their health permit so many times...there's a real reason they were called the "terminal" café.... :lol: ).... No longer served is the original "pound" burger which filled your plate from edge-to-edge... and could be cut into 1/4ths and still serve the entire family. :?

But the "new" Skyline Café does indeed serve a great burger! I had the "Southwest Chipotle burger" and that thing had a nicely grilled 3/4 lb patty inside good buns with veggies. The best fries I've ever eaten. They were "blistered" on the outside (egg-batter?) and crunchy interior... very nice indeed!
And served with genuine Southern-style Sweet-Tea!

I rode with Wendell Wyborny and had a chance to view his new Stratus ADS-B set-up. He had traffic/wx/etc on an I-Pad for his "In"...and a Stratus Transponder for his "Out". We lost coverage somewhere in East Texas so I suspect the ADS-B surveillance is not yet fully operational, but it was an interesting setup Wendell has. Just guessing, but I'd estimate that his complete set up came to around $4K not including the I-pad.

I'm with Bruce. I'm waiting until Levil gets their product out and see if things don't come down to less than $1500 total.

Great Fly-In. Thanks Ken!

BTW, Member Rich Faust is selling his '52 170-B and brought it for viewing. Pretty thing.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
gahorn

Postby c170ken » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:29 pm

Richard, I don't have the book with me, but we had 16 members and guests. I believe there were seven airplanes. Four 170, Henry Erhlich, Wendell Wyborny, James Yates and Rich Faust. One each 182, Debonier, and 140.
Frank, I wish you could have made it. Everyone would have liked to see you. Hope Becky is feeling better.
c170ken

Return to Events/Fly-ins