2018 Christmas Party

Upcoming aviation events and reports.

Moderators: gahorn, Bruce Fenstermacher

2018 Christmas Party

Postby hilltop170 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:07 pm

It's a little early to start making detail plans but Ina and I wanted to give everyone advanced notice we are once again going to host the TIC170A Christmas Party at our home in Fredericksburg, Texas.

It will be the first weekend in December, so as usual, we can all attend the Fredericksburg Lighted Christmas Parade on Friday night, then again enjoy dinner together afterward at the Rathskellar Restaurant, and the Christmas Party at our home on Saturday night. This might be a good year to plan an extra day or two in Fredericksburg and spend some extra time in the Museum of the Pacific War during your free time, since December 7 is also Pearl Harbor Day. There are bound to be some special events planned around it.

As usual, everyone is invited! That includes all current and past TIC170A members, guests of members, and non-members. No matter where you live we would like to see you there.

Fredericksburg is an easy 1 hour drive on good freeways from the San Antonio Airport or a slightly less direct 1-1/2 hour drive from the Austin Airport depending on traffic, if planning to fly the airlines. If you fly yourself, there should be plenty of hangar space in my hangar at the Gillespie Co. Airport, T82, at Fredericksburg.

It might be more crowded in Fredericksburg this year than usual with Pearl Harbor Day being on Friday so accommodations may be harder to find and may be more expensive than usual. Ken Peck is NOT planning on getting a block of rooms this year. Details below. For those looking for a more economical option than staying in Fredericksburg is to make the 20 minute drive south to Kerrville. Kerrville has several nice motels on the Fredericksburg side of town that will be more reasonable and Highway 16 has been improved over the last few years and is a nice road to drive even at night.

Ina and I enjoy hosting the party and everyone seems to have a great time so start thinking about making plans to attend!
Last edited by hilltop170 on Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
hilltop170

Re: 2018 Christmas Party

Postby 170C » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:00 pm

Thanks Richard! We all appreciate you and Ina hosting these Christmas parties. Becky and I have been wanting to get back for one of them and maybe this will be the year.

Frank
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
170C

Postby c170ken » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:44 pm

Thank you Richard.

Below is the latest info concerning lodging for the Christmas party weekend.

It is mid August with temps right near record breaking highs most days in the Austin area. It seems a little out of sync to be thinking about Christmas with the August weather being what it is, but because of the lodging situation in Fredericksburg, TX on the weekend of the Friday night parade (Dec. 7th, 2018) we wanted to give notice as early as possible.

A decision has been made not to block any rooms at a motel this year. This has been discussed and it seems more of our past attendees prefer to make their own arrangements for rooms, and some come in their RVs. The number of blocked rooms used the past couple of years also supports this decision.

We sincerely hope this does not create a major inconvenience for anyone. There is a fairly large selection of lodging available in Fredericksburg and Kerrville, however this weekend motels fill up early.

Booking rooms as early as possible is beneficial and would be suggested.

We hope everyone will attend and please make lodging arrangements that are best for you as soon as possible. It is a great weekend.

Best Regards,

Ken Peck 512-468-7790 or c170ken@earthlink.net
c170ken

Postby Karl Towle » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:34 am

A big heart-felt thanks to Richard & Ina for hosting this event again! They've set the bar really high, and this is sure to be another great time together.

I'd like to pitch this as an excellent opportunity for some of our members who may be lurking on the fringes of this great organization to come make some new friends. I speak from experience; I joined TIC170A in Sept of 2006, but failed to actively participate in any of our group's activities. Finally, after a personal invite from Richard, to the 2014 Christmas Party at his home in Fredericksburg, my wife Nancy and I attended, and found a whole house full of instant friends. What I'm trying to say is, if you've been waiting for a nudge to take your membership - in this fantastically friendly organization, based on our love for one of the finest aircraft ever conceived - to a whole new level, then this is your opportunity to dive in and enjoy the ride.

With regard to lodging, a group of us will be staying at: Best Western Sunday House Inn. Kerrville, Texas (830) 896-1313. The rate quoted today was $79.95 plus tax, and $8 off that with a AAA membership. It's only a 25 mile drive from the hotel to Fredericksburg. The hotel still has quite a few more rooms available.
Karl Towle

Postby KG » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:12 pm

Info on the Hangar Hotel at the Fredericksburg Airport:

I contacted them about their cancellation policy and was told I could cancel without charge up to 48 hours prior to check in. One night charge if within 48 hours. But if flying in and can't make it due to weather, we can cancel the same day. I don't know if their idea of "cancel due to weather" and mine are the same though.

Not inexpensive, it is a little under $200 a night, including the taxes. Not sure we will stay there as there are much less expensive options closer to town.

We are hoping to make it, and if we can, Carrie will be bringing a guitar. :D
Last edited by KG on Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
53 170B
KG

Postby 170C » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:46 pm

We got a room at Texas Hill Country Hotel by Holiday Creek. Think it’s a mile or less from down town Fredericksburg. Three nights for just under $300. Fri & Saturday nights were $89 + Tx. Cancellation by Dec 5.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
170C

Postby hilltop170 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:09 am

This will be the last notice for the 2018 Christmas Party. It is a copy of the notice in the Flypaper so most of you have already seen it.

The 2018 TIC170A Christmas party will be held again this year in Fredericksburg, Texas on December 7-8, 2017. Everyone in the Association is invited to come and take part in this year's celebration and enjoy the weekend in Fredericksburg! In previous years we have had members attend from Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Georgia, Ohio, Florida, Minnesota, England, and British Columbia! Everyone is welcome!

If you are flying in to Gillespie County Airport, T82 for the party, free hangar space will be provided on a first come-first served basis for as many as can fit into my hangar. Tiedowns are also free of charge down by the Hangar Hotel or on the north end ramp. If you need to refuel, be sure and use the self service pump on the north end ramp, it's a lot cheaper than at the FBO. The Fredericksburg FBO, 830-997-3313, has rental cars that can be reserved in advance and there are taxis available. Enterprise will drop cars at the airport with prior arrangements.

Friday Night Lighted Christmas Parade-
The fun starts Friday evening where we will meet in front of the Fredericksburg Brewery on Main St. at 6:00pm and watch the Fredericksburg Lighted Christmas parade which starts at 6:30pm and runs for about an hour. Every float entrant displays Christmas lights and the parade continues to grow every year. Be sure to dress for the weather as the parade happens no matter what. It's a great event to kick off the Christmas season.
http://www.lightthenightchristmasparade.com/index.html

Friday night dinner-
After the parade we will walk across the street where we have dinner reservations for 25 people downstairs at the Rathskeller. Rathskeller is one of Ina's and my favorite restaurants in Fredericksburg. The menu is varied with American and German dishes and is reasonably priced.

Daytime Saturday-
Saturday is open for whatever activity suits you. There are many interesting things to do in Fredericksburg from shopping, just walking up and down Main Street, wine tours, to the world-class Museum of the Pacific War.
http://www.fredericksburg-texas.com

Saturday night Christmas party-
The Christmas Party starts at 6:00pm on Saturday evening Dec 8. The dinner will again be Pot Luck with Ina and I furnishing Bar-B-Q brisket, sausage, pork tamales, pinto beans, and potato salad, as well as coffee, mixers, and assorted adult beverages. If you can, please bring a dish of some sort whether it is an hors d'oeuvre, salad, vegetable, or dessert. We are usually light on cooked vegetable dishes but bring whatever you like and we'll make it work. If you prefer to bring your own drinks, feel free, plus we'll have an ice chest to keep things cool. Last minute items can be picked up at the local HEB grocery store which has a great selection of prepared foods.

After dinner, we'll again have a Chinese Christmas gift exchange. These have been a lot of fun in the past. Everyone who wants to participate brings a gift of around $20 value. Men bring a man's gift and women bring a woman's gift and they will be separated under the tree. Everyone will draw a number that determines when you get to go to the tree and select a gift. When it is your turn, you may either take someone else's gift or go to the tree and select a gift. If you take someone else's gift, they can take someone else's gift, or go back to the tree and pick another gift. A gift can only change hands twice and is "dead" when the third person picks it. After everyone has a gift, the very first person has the last chance to take anyone's gift whether "dead" or not or keep the one they have. It sounds more complicated than it is but everyone will make sure you don't make a mistake. There will most likely be some very lively discussions and there will definitely be lots of laughs.

After the gift exchange, Ina will pass out Christmas Carol Song Books and we’ll all sing our favorite Carols.

There are no planned activities on Sunday.

Lodging-
There will be no blocked rooms or preferred hotel this year. There are many hotels and B&Bs in Fredericksburg, all of which have websites. With Friday being Pearl Harbor Day this year, rooms will probably fill up early. Kerrville is just 20 miles away with several nice hotels which might be cheaper. There are also several nice RV parks around town for those bringing their own lodging.

Things are shaping up for another excellent weekend in Fredericksburg! Ina and I hope to fill the house again this year so make some plans and come join in the fun in Fredericksburg Dec 7-8. Come a few days early or stay over and get your Christmas shopping done early, there are many unique shops and stores in town.

As Ken Peck says, “As most who have attended before will attest, our annual Cessna 170 Christmas party is one of the most enjoyable events to take place anywhere in the free world", so we invite you to come and have a great time with us in Fredericksburg.

Richard and Ina
Richard Pulley
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
It's not for sale!
hilltop170

Postby cessna170bdriver » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:32 am

Karen and I enjoyed it so much last year that we’re coming again this year. Like last year, we’re staying at the Y O Ranch hotel in Kerrville, $96 + tax on booking.com.
Miles
cessna170bdriver

Postby hilltop170 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:21 am

Well, I didn’t think I would be making any more updates on the Christmas Party but I just received this notice:

It is with great sadness that the Fredericksburg Chamber of Commerce announces the CANCELLATION of the Light the Night Christmas Parade this coming Friday, December 7. With the increasing likelihood of electrical storms and high winds on Friday night, the safety of our parade entrants, guests and attendees is our primary concern. We hope you will join us in 2019!

However, just because the parade is cancelled doesn’t mean we have to cancel our plans! I contacted the Rathskellar Restaurant and moved our dinner reservations from after the parade to 6:30pm. So instead of meeting in front of the Fredericksburg Brewery at 6:00pm, let’s meet across the street, downstairs in The Rathskellar at 6:30pm and have our dinner together as we always have. Having the parade cancelled is disappointing but I think we can make up for it with the earlier dinner.

Hope this change of plans is agreeable with everyone and we have the usual great turnout we have always had.

See you Friday night!
Richard Pulley
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
It's not for sale!
hilltop170

Postby cessna170bdriver » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:24 pm

See you tomorrow!
Miles
cessna170bdriver

Postby cessna170bdriver » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:50 am

Thank you Richard and Ina for another wonderful party! We’re home safe, unpacked, bourbon pecans from Goldthwaite are intact, and JWB on a big rock.
78A32BC6-A686-4751-B98C-A073F8496521.jpeg
Miles
cessna170bdriver

Postby Ryan Smith » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:46 pm

Work, winter storms, and recurrent had different plans for me this year. I really was hoping to make it...we’ll try for 2019! I hope everyone had a wonderful time; I look forward to the write up!
Ryan Smith

Return to Events/Fly-ins