2017 Christmas Party

Upcoming aviation events and reports.

Moderators: gahorn, Bruce Fenstermacher

2017 Christmas Party

Postby hilltop170 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:39 pm

The 2017 TIC170A Christmas party will be held again this year in Fredericksburg, Texas on December 1-2, 2017. It's time to start making plans to attend! This is the 6th Christmas party Ina and I have sponsored and the first 5 were a real success. Everyone in the Association is invited to come and take part in this year's celebration and enjoy the weekend in Fredericksburg! In previous years we have had members attend from Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Georgia, Ohio, Minnesota, and British Columbia! And I hear we can add Florida to the list this year when TIC170A Director Matt Roberts attends. Everyone is welcome!

If you are flying in for the party, free hangar space will be provided on a first come-first served basis for as many as can be put into my hangar. Tiedowns are also free of charge down by the Hangar Hotel or on the north end ramp. If you need to refuel, be sure and use the self service pump on the north end ramp, it's a lot cheaper than by the FBO. The Fredericksburg FBO, 830-997-3313, has rental cars that can be reserved in advance and there are taxis to the hotel. Enterprise also will drop cars at the airport but I'm sure there will be plenty of empty seats available in member's cars for those who fly in.

Friday Night Lighted Christmas Parade-
The fun starts Friday evening where we will meet in front of the Fredericksburg Brewery on Main St. at 6:00pm and watch the Fredericksburg Lighted Christmas parade which starts at 6:30pm and runs for about an hour. Every float entrant displays Christmas lights and the parade continues to grow every year. Be sure to dress for the weather as the parade happens no matter what. It's a great event to kick off the Christmas season.
http://www.lightthenightchristmasparade.com/index.html

Friday night dinner-
After the parade we will walk across the street where we have reservations for 30 people at 7:30pm for dinner downstairs at the Rathskeller. Rathskeller is one of Ina's and my favorite restaurants in Fredericksburg. The menu is varied with American and German dishes and is reasonably priced.

Daytime Saturday-
Saturday is open for whatever activity suits you. There are many interesting things to do in Fredericksburg from shopping, just walking up and down Main Street, wine tours, to the world-class Museum of the Pacific War.
http://www.fredericksburg-texas.com

Saturday night Christmas party-
The Christmas Party starts at 6:00pm on Saturday evening Dec 2. The dinner will again be Pot Luck with Ina and I furnishing Bar-B-Q brisket, sausage, pork tamales, pinto beans, and potato salad, as well as coffee, mixers, and assorted adult beverages. Please bring a dish of some sort whether it is an hors d'oeuvre, salad, vegetable, or dessert. We are usually light on cooked vegetable dishes but bring whatever you like and we'll make it work. If you prefer to bring your own drinks, feel free, plus we'll have an ice chest to keep things cool. Last minute items can be picked up at the local HEB grocery store which has a great selection of prepared foods.

After dinner, we'll again have a Chinese Christmas gift exchange. These have been a lot of fun in the past. Everyone who wants to participate brings a gift of around $20 value. Men bring a man's gift and women bring a woman's gift and they will be separated under the tree. Everyone will draw a number that determines when you get to go to the tree and select a gift. When it is your turn, you may either take someone else's gift or go to the tree and select a gift. If you take someone else's gift, they can take someone else's gift, or go back to the tree and pick another gift. A gift can only change hands twice and is "dead" when the third person picks it. After everyone has a gift, the very first person has the last chance to take anyone's gift whether "dead" or not or keep the one they have. It sounds more complicated than it is but everyone will make sure you don't make a mistake. There will most likely be some very lively discussions and there will definitely be lots of laughs.

After the gift exchange, Ina will pass out Christmas Carol Song Books and we’ll all sing our favorite Carols. This has been one of my favorite parts of the party.

There are no planned activities on Sunday. I will be out at my hangar at Gillespie County Airport, 508 Airport Rd., Sunday morning to see off the folks who flew in if anyone else wants to come out and see them off.

Lodging-
Everyone is welcome to stay wherever they want but most stay at the Best Western Plus hotel at 314 East Highway St., in Fredericksburg. The phone number for reservations is 830-992-2929. We are past the block rate at this time but you could ask for the rate anyway. There are many hotels and B&Bs in Fredericksburg so everyone should still be able to find a room. Kerrville is just 20 miles away if Fredericksburg doesn't work and might be cheaper. There is also an RV park right across the street from the Best Western plus several other nice RV parks around town for those bringing their own lodging.

https://www.bestwestern.com/content/bes ... Code=44516

Ken Peck and Naomi Goodlett did the research and have again chosen this hotel, hoping it will be comfortable. It is located about 3/4 of a mile from downtown main street. The hotels they contacted within walking distance of the heart of town did not have enough rooms remaining available for our group.

Things are shaping up for another excellent weekend in Fredericksburg! Ina and I hope to fill the house again this year so make some plans and come join in the fun in Fredericksburg Dec 1-2. Come a few days early or stay over and get your Christmas shopping done early, there are many unique shops and stores.

As Ken Peck says, “As most who have attended before will attest, our annual Cessna 170 Christmas party is one of the most enjoyable events to take place anywhere in the free world, so we invite you to come and have a great time with us in Fredericksburg".

Ina and I agree,
Richard and Ina

187F6FEE-74A3-43D6-9FB6-5EB989AAAE7C.jpeg
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
hilltop170

Return to Events/Fly-ins