Winterization Plates

Where TIC170A members may list items for sale or trade or make wants known.

Moderators: gahorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Forum rules
Guests and forum participants are welcome to view posts in this area but one must be TIC170A member to post an ad here - -Why Join the TIC170A - - How to Join the TIC170A

Winterization Plates

Postby Bruce Fenstermacher » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:10 am

I have for sale copies I can make of the Winterization plates for the 170 and early 172 cowls. These can be seen in the IPC under accessories.

IMG_3111.JPG

A set of cowl grill cover assemblies, similar to part number 0552106 and common hardware for Cessna 170B serial 25373 and on and early 172 with factory cowling. (Aluminum strips for the hold downs must be cut to proper length and drilled.) $130 plus shipping.

A nose cowl vent assembly, similar to part 0552104 $45 plus shipping

If you have a '48, 170A or 170B serial 25372 ('52) with factory cowl the nose cowl vent is the same as shown above and below.

The grill plates for '48, 170A or 170B serial 25372 ('52) with factory cowl the nose cowl are part 0552101. You can see an example below. I will sell copies of these plates and common hardware you might use for mounting. Cessna used J hooks. I have not found any common hardware like the J hook. You will have to make your own J hooks or use my idea using aluminum sheet and common hardware. A set of these plates, the common hardware I would use and instructions how I have made a what I consider a suitable mounting method. $100 plus shipping.

IMG_3151.jpg

Note: All parts other than the common aircraft hardware supplied are copies I've made by reverse engineering original parts and hand forming aluminum sheet to original dimensions. They are offered as the basis of owner produced parts. You as the owner operator will have to inspect the parts and make final adjustments, manufacture the mounting method and conclude they are airworthy parts before installing and flying with them.

All assemblies are made after an order is placed. I can usually build them and ship in less than a week.

Contact me by email to order. The order must include a statement what you want me to manufacture for you and how. For example: hand form 3003-H14 .032 aluminum sheet to the shape and size of original parts (specify-part) including riveting assemblies together, all work following standard practice and methods. Show me a picture (from IPC or other);
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email:
N7A '49 170A -More original than most making folks GREEN with envy
N42532 '45 J-3 Clipped Wing Cub
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Winterization Plates

Postby FredL » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:14 am

That looks like some very good work there Bruce
FredL

Postby rupertjl » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:06 pm

I had Bruce produce a set for me, they worked out great!

Thanks Bruce!
Attachments
winterization platesresize.jpg
1950 170A: N9191A s/n 19366
rupertjl

Postby cessna170bdriver » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:54 pm

A secret Santa made and sent me a set of plates last year after seeing a photo of my airplane with duct tape over the inner half of the cowl inlets. He suggested using shrink tubing over the attach straps, which I did. It gives the straps a better grip, as well as cushions them, preventing chafing the paint.

IMG_4714.JPG
Miles
cessna170bdriver

Postby Bruce Fenstermacher » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:48 am

rupertjl wrote:I had Bruce produce a set for me, they worked out great!

Thanks Bruce!

Jud, you have yours installed wrong. Swap them side by side and mount them on the inside. At least that is the way Cessna shows them mounted in figure 58 in the 170A IPC.

But otherwise thanks for the nice words.

Email:
Bruce Fenstermacher

Postby n2582d » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:12 am

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 10.09.52 PM.png
Service News Letter 72 (Click to Enlarge)
Gary
n2582d

Postby gahorn » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:35 am

Good catch Bruce and Gary. The cyl head is more needful of direct cooling air than the barrel of the cylinder.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
gahorn

Postby Bruce Fenstermacher » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:34 am

I never thought to include instructions as to how / where the plates should be mounted as most, if not all folks ordering them reference the IPC illustration. And I've never seen a picture or illustration contrary to the PIC. I had no idea the early owners manuals had them pictured installed wrong. I'll be a note to future plates sold.

Email:
Bruce Fenstermacher

Postby dstates » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:06 pm

So this info about the winterization plate location got me thinking. On my 170A, the winterization plates will block the cabin heat inlet when place in the inboard locations (correct per IPC), and if installed backwards would block the carb heat inlet. If the cabin heat inlet is blocked I assume air flow will be reduced. Is this something I want to do?

5C2EE245-DCF6-48D7-88E0-024CE4079695.jpeg
dstates

Postby Bruce Fenstermacher » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:06 am

Assuming you will will flying in cold weather, you will want to sacrifice cabin warmth for heat in the engine that boils vapor from the engine reducing internal corrosion (rust).

You would think the baffle in front of the intake for the heat on the left side would drastically effect the heat created. In fact I could never really tell if it made any difference at all. The heat is generally that bad in the '52 and prior airframes.

I did take the time to make a custom plate that did not block the air intake. If anything it created more of a ram air effect which I thought would produce better heat. After going through all the trouble, I think my imagination detected more heat. After all I hadn't done all that work for nothing. Or did I.

Here is what I can tell you. Today when I fly in cold weather, I use the exact same stock Cessna plates duplicates I make for everyone else.

Email:
Bruce Fenstermacher

Postby gahorn » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:18 pm

It might be helpful to keep in mind that the cowl inlet design, along with the engine baffling design, is intended to raise air pressures above the cylinders which forces air downward thru the cooling fins to the low-pressure area below. There is evidence in some other brands that redesigned their cowls to use smaller inlets that internal drag is actually reduced and aircraft speed/efficiency improved to the point that the smaller inlets actually improved cooling (with that side benefit of overall speed increase.)
In this case, the winterization kit may be reducing inlet-size but maintaining the high-pressure area and keeping direct-cooling aimed at the cylinder-heads (aluminum) where it is most critical. The high-pressure air will seek any/all routes to the low-pressure area and so some of it will still find it’s way to the cabin-heat intake.... but the reduced velocity thru the system will allow it to absorb more heat from the cylinders....with improved cylinder-cooling AND improved heat-exchange to the carb and cabin.
It’s an interesting discussion.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
gahorn

Postby rupertjl » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:46 pm

well at least i got the oil cover right! Bad on me, I just ASSumed that I didn't want to block the carb heat and cabin heat ducts. I'll make the switch, I haven't flown with them as of yet anyway.

-Jud
1950 170A: N9191A s/n 19366
rupertjl

Return to The TradeMart