lady legs

Where TIC170A members may list items for sale or trade or make wants known.

Moderators: gahorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Forum rules
Guests and forum participants are welcome to view posts in this area but one must be TIC170A member to post an ad here - -Why Join the TIC170A - - How to Join the TIC170A

lady legs

Postby jetguy » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:32 pm

Removed the original gear legs from my ‘55 a couple of years ago because someone had previously drilled holes in them and installed these cute little chrome steps (presumably to check the tanks, although it really didn’t work). Pretty sure it ain’t legal and I was always uncomfortable running around with them like that but who knows....somebody else might disagree. I might have even talked to Cessna but don’t remember. No idea what they’d even be worth, but they’re just sitting in the hangar collecting dust....
Greg Anderson
'55 170B N4316B
jetguy

Re: lady legs

Postby ghostflyer » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:47 am

While I am no expert on lady legs undercarriage but I wouldn’t fly with any that has been drilled for steps. No paper work for parts or work ,no fly. To me that work done on your undercarriage legs makes them worthless. But saying that there is a model of undercarriage legs that have been drilled by the factory for attachment of the brake line . I have been told stories of that area of the undercarriage leg breaking [cracking].
ghostflyer

Postby echodelta » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:12 am

I'll tell this story just for reference on this subject.
An older 172 at my field had a gear leg snap at tiedown on a gusty day.
The owner was very lucky because:
#1- the day before he had done numerous touch and goes, and
#2- the opposite side tiedown chain was sufficiently tight to hold the weight of the plane
off the broken leg and wheel pant.
I learned afterwards that the probable cause was a small tack weld on the leg to hold the step,
which had compromised the leg integrity....
Attachments
IMG_1544rss.jpg
IMG_1424rs.jpg
IMG_1423rs.jpg
IMG_1422rs.jpg
echodelta

Postby gahorn » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:16 pm

That 172 gear leg failure is most likely not due to the perceived “tack-weld”... (although welding on any gear leg is not “kosher” at all)

The step was welded to the bracket which clamps onto the gear leg of the early 172s by Cessna... not an aftermarket action. The problem is that corrosion can set up beneath the clamped step/bracket and go ignored for so long that a stress riser is created at the clamp. It’s a problem area of the early 172s. (I have one and it was difficult during pre-purchase/annual at first to determine whether or not that weld was on the gearleg itself or on only the clamp. Close inspection of this area is critical.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
gahorn

Return to The TradeMart