Winterization Plates for sale

Where TIC170A members may list items for sale or trade or make wants known.

Moderators: gahorn, Bruce Fenstermacher

Forum rules
Guests and forum participants are welcome to view posts in this area but one must be TIC170A member to post an ad here - -Why Join the TIC170A - - How to Join the TIC170A

Winterization Plates for sale

Postby Bruce Fenstermacher » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:11 pm

I have for sale copies I can make of the Winterization plates for the 170 and early 172 cowls. These can be seen in the IPC under accessories.

IMG_3111.JPG
Cover Assemblies- Cowl grill winterization, part 0552106 and Plug Assembly - Nose cowl vent, part 0552104 copies shown

A set of cowl grill cover assemblies, similar to part number 0552106 and common hardware for Cessna 170B serial 25373 and on and early 172 with factory cowling. (Aluminum strips for the hold downs must be cut to proper length and drilled.) $130 plus shipping.

A nose cowl vent assembly, similar to part 0552104 $45 plus shipping

If you have a '48, 170A or 170B serial 25372 ('52) with factory cowl the nose cowl vent is the same as shown above and below.

The grill plates for '48, 170A or 170B serial 25372 ('52) with factory cowl the nose cowl are part 0552101. You can see my own copies below. I will sell copies of these plates and common hardware you might use for mounting. Cessna used J hooks. I have not found any common hardware like the J hook. You will have to make your own J hooks or use my idea using aluminum sheet and common hardware. A set of these plates, the common hardware I would use and instructions how I have made a what I consider a suitable mounting method. $100 plus shipping.
IMG_0381.jpg
Cover Assemblies - Cowl grill winterization 0552101 and Plug Assembly - Nose cowl vent part 0552104 copies shown

Note: All parts other than the common aircraft hardware supplied are copies I've made by reverse engineering original parts and hand forming aluminum sheet to original dimensions. They are offered as the basis of owner produced parts. You as the owner operator will have to inspect the parts and make final adjustments, manufacture the mounting method and conclude they are airworthy parts before installing and flying with them.

All assemblies are made after an order is placed. I can usually build them and ship in less than a week.

Contact me by email to order. The order must include a statement what you want me to manufacture for you and how. For example: hand form 3003-H14 .032 aluminum sheet to the shape and size of original parts (specify-part) including riveting assemblies together, all work following standard practice and methods. Show me a picture (from IPC or other);
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email:
N7A '49 170A -More original than most making folks GREEN with envy
N42532 '45 J-3 Clipped Wing Cub
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Winterization Plates for sale

Postby marathonrunner » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:14 pm

I am not your sure how the FAA is looking at "owner produced parts" now. I very very recently had an individual buy "owner produced parts" from a source saying it was legal to install them. Turns out that when I made a call to clarify something they had just that day shut their doors and their website due to the FAA letting them know that what they were doing was not in compliance with the intent of owner produced parts.

I am not saying this is the case here but you might want to look into it. If you send paper templates out and the owner produces their parts then I would say yes, they are indeed owner produced. If you are sending them parts to bolt on then it may be walking a dark grey line.

Just a heads up based on my very very recent experience.
It's not done till it's overdone
marathonrunner

Postby gahorn » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:30 pm

Without knowing the details of what they were doing and how they were doing it, it's difficult to know why they were "shut down".

However, here's the FAA's own Don Dodge's article on the subject. It appears Bruce's offer is in compliance.

The essentials matters to be in compliance are:
A part does not have to be solely produced by the owner to be considered an Owner Produced Part.
• The aircraft owner must participate in the manufacture of the part in at least one of five ways for it to be considered an Owner Produced Part.
1. The owner provides the manufacturer of the part with the design or performance data.
2. The owner provides the manufacturer of the part with the materials.
3. The owner provides the manufacturer with fabrication processes or assembly methods.
4. The owner provides the manufacturer of the part with quality control procedures.
5. The owner personally supervises the manufacture of the new part.

Simple inspection of a completed part does not qualify, but a final quality-control inspection and fitment/assembly of the components does. In the first case Bruce stipulates "Aluminum strips for the hold downs must be cut to proper length and drilled." That qualifies under item 1 above because the owner participates.
If other kits are offered by him then the same instructions would qualify, but to really avoid criticism, It is important that the Owner submit an order to Bruce stipulating that the portion Bruce produces must be reverse-engineered copies of the OEM parts.
If I were to make such an offer then I would keep your original letter to me in my permanent files.
Attachments
Owner Produced Parts by Don Dodge.doc
(52 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
gahorn

Postby DaveF » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:31 pm

There's a BL quote for every occasion. Here's one:

"I just considered those fellows in OKC were very busy and did not want to bother them"
DaveF

Postby Ryan Smith » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:21 am

DaveF wrote:There's a BL quote for every occasion. Here's one:

"I just considered those fellows in OKC were very busy and did not want to bother them"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ryan Smith

Postby Hawkeyenfo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:40 am

8) 8) :lol: :lol: 8) 8)
Fly Navy !!!!

1941 Boeing PT-13D Stearman
1952 Cessna 170B
Hawkeyenfo

Return to The TradeMart