Elevator Deflection

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

c170b53

Re: Elevator Deflection

Post by c170b53 »

The answer to the secret of the universe is 29.25 for a "B" hole centres. I'll post a pic of install in question but safe to say they madeit almost fool proof
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

c170b53 wrote:The answer to the secret of the universe is 29.25 for a "B" hole centres. I'll post a pic of install in question but safe to say they madeit almost fool proof
Jim,
I must live in an alternate universe! :wink: My pushrod from a '52 170B measures 29.125" between hole centers. I also have a pushrod that I got from Don Harrell which measures 28 9/16" between the centers of the holes. You're right -- It is virtually impossible to get the installation of the bellcrank reversed. The hole circled in red is for one of the control cables. Notice that if one flipped this 180 degrees on the vertical axis the control cable attachment would interfere with the flange on the bellcrank. It appears that the only thing asymmetrical about this is that the flange is shorter on the forward edge than the rear edge.
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Last edited by n2582d on Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

I still think that he has the correct travel overall but, if the elevators are attached incorrectly at the tail to the bellcrank, if this is possible, then you get the movement he has. I just wish I was somewhere where I could visually verify this. No 170's where I am currently located.
It's not done till it's overdone
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

marathonrunner wrote:I still think that he has the correct travel overall but, if the elevators are attached incorrectly at the tail to the bellcrank, if this is possible, then you get the movement he has. I just wish I was somewhere where I could visually verify this. No 170's where I am currently located.
It seems clear to me that he has p/n 051011-2 (the pushrod for the C-170A) installed where he should have p/n 051011-5 (the pushrod for the C-170B) installed. His pushrod is around .5625" too short. This would account for getting too much down travel and not enough up travel.
Gary
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

n2582d wrote:It seems clear to me that he has p/n 051011-2 (the pushrod for the C-170A) installed where he should have p/n 051011-5 (the pushrod for the C-170B) installed. His pushrod is around .5625" too short. This would account for getting too much down travel and not enough up travel.
Where have we established the length of Tim's pushrod currently installed? We have Jim's, and Gary's not Tim's.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

I may have missed something in an earlier post but my IPC for an A model shows this as a 0510108 part number.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Bill Hart wrote:I may have missed something in an earlier post but my IPC for an A model shows this as a 0510108 part number.
Bill,
I was copying Tim's p/n's in his original post. I think p/n 0510108 you wrote of might be the front pushrod which connects to the control tee. Now in looking at the IPC it appears that Tim and I left out a "1" in the part number. For the C-170 and C-170A the correct part number for the rear push-pull tube is 0510111-2 (See fig. 43-10 for the C-170 and fig. 47-2 for the C-170A). For the C-170B the correct p/n is 0510111-5. (fig. 67-37).
Gary
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Where have we established the length of Tim's pushrod currently installed? We have Jim's, and Gary's not Tim's.
If I was an engineer I would say, "Elementary, my dear Watson." Unfortunately I'm not an engineer. But wouldn't it be easy to figure out the length of Tim's pushrod without looking at it? His travel is 8* less at the top and bottom of the travel than what he should have. The arm of the control horn on the elevator is roughly 6". The arm on the rear elevator bellcrank is around 5.87". How much too short is Tim's pushrod?
Gary
timbodine

Post by timbodine »

Again, thanks for all the good info. Measuring the length of the pushrod while it is installed is not as simple as you would think. I'll try it again tomorrow with some help. I'm convinced that the length of the pushrod must be the problem. I see no way to incorrectly install any of the components in the tail. Everything forward of the elevator bellcrank is functioning correctly in order to allow the bellcrank to strike the "up" and "down" stops. The problem must be the length of the elevator pushrod. The approximate 1/2" too short that Bruce estimates is what I also estimate. From your measurements, it appears a "B" pushrod should be 29.125" to 29.25". I'll let you know what I find.
Tim
Tim
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

If the elevators cannot be misaligned with another hole...I have seen that before on other aircraft, then the rod seems to be the only other culprit. Umm it is pretty easy to remove and if it is wrong has to be removed anyway. Then you can get a very accurate measurment
It's not done till it's overdone
timbodine

Post by timbodine »

Sorry, but I just don't see how the elevators could be misaligned with another hole. What other hole are you referring to? In which part?
Tim
Tim
timbodine

Post by timbodine »

Back to the airport today. Re-measured everything. My elevator pushrod is 29 3/16" between hole centers. Looked at 2 other 170's (A models) on the field and cannot find anything different with my 170B, except the elevator deflection. So, the problem is not the pushrod. We will now do a thorough search of the logs and any 337's to see if there was damage to the tail at some point. Someone suggested there may be an L-19 (Bird dog) part in the mix. I don't have any sources of info on the L-19. I know they are basically a 170, but I don't know how (or if) they were changed in the tail area. This airplane has been flying like this for at least 20+ years.
Thanks again for the help and advice. I'll post here if I find the problem.
Thanks
Tim
Tim
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Tim, I had the same travel problem. The problem is in the trim system not the elevator. Go through the entire trim system rigging first. The jack screw is not being centered on its throw. The jack screw should be equal number of turns out as in. It is hard to explain and I am not near the aircraft to take any pictures. If you release the trim on the elevator you should be able to get full throw. It took me a while to figure it out because there is nothing on the 100 series manual on this but I had a restricted up elevator travel also when I bought the 170. Have a look there after you put your aircraft back to gether. I will check back here in a couple days. I am in Miami and the airplane is in Las Vegas. You can call me if you want to talk or maybe someone on here can also discuss this phenominon. (Seven zero two)499- 498Niner. Doug
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
timbodine

Post by timbodine »

Doug
Thanks. I've forwarded your comment to my A&P. I don't really understand how the trim could affect the elevator throw, but we'll take a close look at it in a few days. I live about 50 miles from the airport and can't get there every day. I'll get in touch if we have any questions. We are pretty frustrated with it right now.
Tim
Tim
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Tim and Doug, I was thinking the problem was an aft bellcrank/ aft bulkhead problem as I was thinking that your deflection measurements were made with the aft bellcrank against the stop. If that's not the case then we're going to need more darts.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS