How to install a Baggage Door?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

edbooth

Re: How to install a Baggage Door?

Post by edbooth »

c170b53 wrote:I guess most of the weight added would be the two hinges and lock but I would have thought the weight increase less than 2 lbs.
Also, the stiffening assembly on the inside of the door skin (which is part of the door), the door jamb assembly, and reinforcement material on the bulkhead that had two holes cut in it for the hinges. :?
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

With regard to the W&B issues mentioned earlier.... My own airplane was weighed when it was reconstructed in '97...but the calculations simply aren't convincing that the C/G is capable of being fully within the utility category and I plan to reweigh it some day. However... when considering that these airplanes are 70 years old...with confusing W/B formulas ...which are often in error anyway... there are more than a few reasons I will never spin them. I know there are those who do and who will likely be critical of my decision, ...perhaps for a different reason than they believe I am thinking.
However, It's not that I don't know how to spin airplanes. Or than I'm afraid of spins. (In actual fact I believe all private pilot applicants should be required to demonstrate them.... but as an examiner I'd never be very comfortable if someone who showed up with a 170 for the test....so a log book entry endorsed by a CFI in some properly cert'd airplane should suffice.) I am comfortable with, and enjoy moderate aerobatics. But I do them in better airplanes, better designed, and better documented for the purpose.
Just sayin.... hoping to change some of our Members minds about going up in these old things and believing it's perfectly safe. None of us who are 70 years old need to do somersaults or break-dancing anymore. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

rnealon1 wrote:Hi All,

Trying to backtrack my weight and balance. On the Del-Air baggage door it says weight 2 pounds. The weight and balance in the logbook subtracts 2 pounds...is it an increase or decrease?

Thanks,

Bob
On page 4 of Del-Air's baggage door installation instructions it says, "9.) This door assy. will add two lbs. to the aircraft empty weight at sta. 99.0."
Gary
gary w. potter

Post by gary w. potter »

I bought the DelAire stc for 282.00 and the door, frame, latch, and lock from a gentleman in Tennisee for 700.00. The install will begin during the annual starting the end of March.Will come back after that and let everyone know how it goes. I also replaced my left mag with an Electroair electronic ignition and I'm so far really satisfied with how it operates. I've got to send the electronic tach back to EI for mod to accept the electronic impulse. Seems like more power, higher cruise speed and less fuel burn.
Gary W. Potter, "maddog"
Abilene, Tx N9229A, 49, 170A
pilotlaw

Post by pilotlaw »

Can I ask how you found the baggage door and frame you sourced from Tennessee? I'm having no luck finding a suitable example....

Bruce Hain
'54 170B