How to install a Baggage Door?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ptporebski

How to install a Baggage Door?

Post by ptporebski »

Hello and Happy New Years Fellow C-170/172 drivers,

For quite some time I have been interested in perhaps installing (or more likely having installed) a baggage door in my 1959 C-172. About one year ago I saw one listed for sale in our trademart, but I hesitated and someone else bought it.

Does anyone here know where I could go about getting the necessary hardware? :?: And as important, what paperwork will be required? I appreciate any information the brain trust can come up with.

Regards,
Pete P.
Tampa Bay
1959 C-172
The better is the enemy of the good.
1959 C-172
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: How to install a Baggage Door?

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The required paperwork via STC is available from Harry Dellicker, Del-Air Porterville,2121 Wildcat Way, Porterville, CA 93257-9808. Phone: (559) 784-9440.

The necessary parts which include the entire door frame, door and hardware are secured from a donor airplane from a salvage yard.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
minton

Post by minton »

Station 90 bulkhead is doubled up in the lower half to beef up the door and skin lap joint @ sta. 90. It extends from side to side. Very hard to find the part number. Most STC's don't address that part but if it were me, I would do the research, find the part and install it. Espeacially if I was operating off airport.
So far I've only seen it shown in figure 45A (hinge area) Pg. 142 of C-172-175 1956-1962 parts manual. No part or reference number in that catalog. Maybe other catalogs will show it better. A cruise around the airport confirms the doubler and extra row of rivets @ sta. 90 on many later planes with bag doors. Tri-cycle and tail draggers.

Just a heads up.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

minton wrote:Station 90 bulkhead is doubled up in the lower half to beef up the door and skin lap joint @ sta. 90. It extends from side to side. Very hard to find the part number. Most STC's don't address that part but if it were me, I would do the research, find the part and install it. Espeacially if I was operating off airport.
So far I've only seen it shown in figure 45A (hinge area) Pg. 142 of C-172-175 1956-1962 parts manual. No part or reference number in that catalog. Maybe other catalogs will show it better. A cruise around the airport confirms the doubler and extra row of rivets @ sta. 90 on many later planes with bag doors. Tri-cycle and tail draggers.

Just a heads up.
That "doubler" is included as part of the bulkhead (item 19, PN0512119) when the bag door and entire surround is obtained from the donor aircraft...and actually doesn't do much other than provide friction-detention for the bag door hinge arms to keep the door from flopping when it's open. The Dellicker STC provides all the necessary details.
Doc1.doc
(31 KiB) Downloaded 1645 times
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
minton

Post by minton »

George,
Im not argueing with you, BUT there is an entire mirror image half bulkhead that doubles up station 90, PLUS the small "Sill" part you speak of.

Been down this road many times, trust me on this one!
John
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

So, how would you describe how much of the plane you need to a person with a sawza and a baggage door for sale.
I have someone willing to 'cut out the door' for me but I want to make sure I get what I need.

Is a general statement of "Six inches all around" safe enough?

David
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

David,

In a word, yes. Six inches should be ample.
BL
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Thanks. Also, this door assy is off a '69 172. Is that 'too new' to work with the STC?
Perhaps I should call Harry and ask him directly about the STC but I thought I'd ping the group first.

-David
KG

Post by KG »

On a related note... what is a baggage door worth? I ask because I know of a derelict 172 sitting in some weeds. It's been picked over pretty good and the baggage door is about all that is left to salvage. I was considering contacting the owner and making him an offer for the door.

Can anybody tell me what they are selling for? What would be a fair offer?

Thanks
Keith
53 170B
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Hi Keith-
When I was looking for one in 2008, the salvage yards I checked with were in the $500 range which included them removing the door with the 6" extra around the perimeter and all the related pieces. I can't imagine it's any more today and if you're going to remove it yourself I would deduct accordingly.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
KG

Post by KG »

Thanks Richard.
53 170B
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

Put mine in about 25 years ago. the door and door frame was from a 66 172. Had to modify the door frame somewhat because it came out of a plane with rear windows. Don't think there is any modification from an earlier straight back. If you want to keep the hat rack, It needs to shift up a couple inches or it will hang down in the new door opening. Even though all the doors will fit, (172/180/182), they have different door latches. Mine is a flush fit push type. I think some on the 180's are hidden with the latch release on the inside by the back seat. (Believe Chuck Brady's is like this). It is a great mod. Had the 170 15 years before I put it in...wish I had done it sooner. P.S. I paid $75 for mine.

Good luck, Ed Booth
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Over the years, I have purchased three or four salvaged baggage doors. They all ran about $400 plus shipping.
BL
ptporebski

Post by ptporebski »

Hello Everyone,

I am adding a new reply to this old post of mine. I have found a baggage door off of a 1968 C-172 that a guy is willing to sell me. My plane is a 1959 model C-172. Does the fact that the donor airplane is an Omnivision model make any difference? I have pictures of the door on the donor airframe below:
Exterior View
Exterior View
Interior View
Interior View
Door Open-Interior Side
Door Open-Interior Side
Door Open-Exterior Side
Door Open-Exterior Side

Can the Association brain trust tell me if this door and frame will work on my aircraft? I asked for these pictures to ensure that I am getting all the necessary hardware. Is there any other hardware (excepting rivets of course) that I would need? How does one typically address the fact of the surrounding interior plastic? Our older 170s/172s don't have the cheesy interior plastic of the newer Cessna's (part of their charm). What about the floor?

I have re-read the entire post thread and am uncertain of what was decided except that taking about 6 inches of the exterior with a saw should get one everything they need. As you can see that may not apply here since the airframe aft doesn't include the six inches. Do I need to ensure that the fuselage bulkheads or frames immediately adjacent come with the door?

My main question here is - What parts do I need to ensure the guy includes as part of the deal?

Thank you for your assistance.
The better is the enemy of the good.
1959 C-172
minton

Post by minton »

Take the whole (entire) sta. 90 bulkheadand the door frame that should cover it.
Last edited by minton on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.