How to install a Baggage Door?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

minton

Re: How to install a Baggage Door?

Post by minton »

George,

I'm impressed! I think you said WHAT??? :lol:
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I don't know if any STC addresses this but:

Would there be any concern in having a Camera port AND a baggage door?
54170b

Post by 54170b »

If the camera port has an appropriate doubler than in the terms of structure, no. You could have two baggage doors and a camera port and skylights and it wouldn't matter if they had real doublers. But don't install two baggage doors. there is no reason to have child doors in the baggage compartment of a 170.
Blue4

Post by Blue4 »

One year ago I began the installation of a baggage door while at the same time installing a float kit. Since the rear floor had to come out, it seemed reasonable enough. My estimate for the total labor for both projects combined is about 80 hours (2 people at 40 hours each). No, I'm not kidding. The results were impressive -- the artist who did the work while I held the bucking bar is to be admired.

We agreed that the Del Air STC was likely strong enough for most conditions. To clarify the point of contention from earlier in the thread, the Del Air STC has the hinge brackets mounted to a single bulkhead. Since we were adding the float kit at station 90 at the same time, the drawings call to fabricate doublers by modifying a station 90 bulkhead by flipping it, cutting, and trimming said bulkhead. This allowed for a double-thick bulkhead in which to mount the hinge brackets for the baggage door. Thus we complied with the float installation drawings and the Del Air STC.

As has been mentioned earlier in the thread, 180s, 185s, and later 170-series airplanes had this double bulkhead at station 90.

Its probably not worth the effort to add such structure if ALL you are doing is adding a baggage door. Clearly there are enough success stories out there that show such a structural beef-up is not necessary just for the door. However, if the airplane is to have the added stress of floats, such an addition is perfect.

I could not be happier with the results. The door fits better than many I've seen from the factory. (Wichita OR Independence!) The airplane fit on floats the first time with minimal fuss. In short, I can recommend a true sheet metal craftsman to those who may wish to ask.

I would post a photo but I can't read the how-to forum while I'm already posting!
-Scott
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Blue4 wrote:I would post a photo but I can't read the how-to forum while I'm already posting!
I'll bet you can Scott. Open up two browser windows, Put the instructions in one window, and post/follow them in the other.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Blue4

Post by Blue4 »

Ok Bruce, you caught me!
1) I was just too lazy to deal with it last night,
2) I didn't want to chance losing what I had already written
3) I can't do windows (because I have a mac!) Haha

In any case, here are two examples of baggage door installations using the methods outlined above. Now I also know how to add pictures. :D
bagdoor1.jpg
bagdoor3.jpg
54170b

Post by 54170b »

to open a new window in a mac, right click on safari and select New Window, or press Command+T for a new tab
Bruce Fenstermacher

54170b wrote:to open a new window in a mac, right click on safari and select New Window, or press Command+T for a new tab
Kyle, we appreciate the tip but I think Scott was making a Mac joke with the reference to not being able to open Windows. BTW those of us who have been using Macs since before you were born don't right click anything because our mouse only had one button. :wink:

Scott, might be the light for the photo but those sure are interesting primer colors. Is that second one really blue?

bagarre

Post by bagarre »

What's the trick to matching paint on all the bare rivets?
All I can think of is a modeling paint brush and patience.
Blue4

Post by Blue4 »

It was a mac joke. My mac IS a joke; if you want to do work with it you shut it down and go to a windows machine. ;)

The primer in the second photo is self-etching rattle can primer; its actually gray when its not in the shadow of fluorescent lights. I haven't figured out how to etch and prime with anything else (much less alodine).

-Scott
Bruce Fenstermacher

The primer in the second photo is self-etching rattle can primer; its actually gray when its not in the shadow of fluorescent lights. I haven't figured out how to etch and prime with anything else (much less alodine). -Scott
Ahh the rattle can self etching gray primer. I'm very familiar. 8) Some time ago I discovered Dupont Variprime two part self etching primer which I like and is easy but of course has a pot life and requires a spray gun of some type which needs cleaning. Hard to beat the rattle can.

Now I'm going to step onto my soap box and defend my computer OS of choice so if you don't care don't read any further.
      • Blue4 wrote:It was a mac joke. My mac IS a joke; if you want to do work with it you shut it down and go to a windows machine. ;)
        • Well Scott when I want to do serious computer work I'm at my Mac. In fact for the last 20 years of the first 25 years of my professional life I earned a pretty good living with a Mac. And now for just over a year my Mac also runs Windows at the same time under Sun Virtual Machine software. I seldom go to the dark side except to be compatible with an old version of QuarkXpress for the Windows our association secretary uses to produce our newsletters. Show me a Windows PC that can also run the Mac, Unix, Linex and Windows XP, Vista, and W7 OS at the same time and I'll concede someone has finally built a computer that can equal a Mac for productivity. :wink:
Stepping down. :D

Blue4

Post by Blue4 »

Sorry Bruce, I didn't mean REAL work. I meant government work.

Next year I might get that promotion to MNDOT shovel-leaner. :D
minton

Post by minton »

ptporebski wrote:Hello and Happy New Years Fellow C-170/172 drivers,

For quite some time I have been interested in perhaps installing (or more likely having installed) a baggage door in my 1959 C-172. About one year ago I saw one listed for sale in our trademart, but I hesitated and someone else bought it.

Does anyone here know where I could go about getting the necessary hardware? :?: And as important, what paperwork will be required? I appreciate any information the brain trust can come up with.

Regards,
Pete P.
Tampa Bay
1959 C-172
Pete,

C-172's have either option ( With or without) available from the factory. If your serial number does'nt apply you will need to obtain an STC and sign it off appropiately. This being the case you will need to track down the parts (Ref: C-172/175 IPC pg. 74 fig. 27A), install the kit and log book sign off by a A&P/AI. No futher action required. :D

I have used Faeth Aircraft Parts in the past with good results. Have your part numbers and reference pages available. 1-916-368-1832.

John
54170b

Post by 54170b »

to match the paint, go on your mac, and I think I heard of an app where you take a picture, and it extracts the color. then go buy a paint pen and color the rivets. The paint pens work great! But its easier to find the right one with a mac.
Blue4

Post by Blue4 »

If that works, I'll stop cussing my mac! Any idea what the name of the app is?
-Scott