insulated bracket supports/firewall

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

paparico

insulated bracket supports/firewall

Post by paparico »

folks...I'd like to replace the insulated brackets that support the wiring on the firewall/engine side...i can't find the cessna part number...anyone have a line on where to order those supports?
GAHorn

Re: insulated bracket supports/firewall

Post by GAHorn »

Are you talking about firewall shields (which use rubber grommets to insulate) like these:??

Or are you talking about insulated Adel clamps?

Also known as MS 21919 clamps

Both are available from many aircraft supply houses, including Aircraft Spruce. 877 477 7823 or aircraftspruce.com

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
mit

Post by mit »

What about the asbestos that goes between the grommet and the stainless steel covers?
Tim
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I think he means these. It's a sprung wrap that is riveted to the firewall and opens in the center by compressing and unhooking it.
Sorry for the poor description and no part number as Im no where near my books.
This is a shot of one on mine. I had the picture by luck.
An Adel clamp would also work here but would require a hole in the firewall.

[img]
Untitled.png
[/img]
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

mit wrote:What about the asbestos that goes between the grommet and the stainless steel covers?
I am always amazed at how many times I'm able to provide information to owners, both amatuer and professionals, by a simple reference to Aircraft Spruce. If all you guys would get a free Aircraft Spruce catalog and sit down and read it cover to cover... about 95% of all my responses would never be required: :wink:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... erfrax.php

Fiberfrax:
A new material made from washed ceramic fibers with binders added to form a lightweight, flexible asbestos-free insulation. Withstands temperatures to 2300 F. Excellent for aircraft firewalls. Available in 24" wide. Sold by the foot.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
mit

Post by mit »

gahorn wrote:
mit wrote:What about the asbestos that goes between the grommet and the stainless steel covers?
I am always amazed at how many times I'm able to provide information to owners, both amatuer and professionals, by a simple reference to Aircraft Spruce. If all you guys would get a free Aircraft Spruce catalog and sit down and read it cover to cover... about 95% of all my responses would never be required: :wink:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... erfrax.php

Fiberfrax:
A new material made from washed ceramic fibers with binders added to form a lightweight, flexible asbestos-free insulation. Withstands temperatures to 2300 F. Excellent for aircraft firewalls. Available in 24" wide. Sold by the foot.

The catalog is sitting right in front of me too! Sorry George..... :oops:
Tim
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

mit wrote:[...The catalog is sitting right in front of me too! Sorry George..... :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I didn't mean it THAT way! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought I was just being helpful in a more generalized way... not complaining.... Anyone who needs help...I gladly help.
Just remember...you get what you paid for ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

I am always amazed at how many times I'm able to provide information to owners, both amatuer and professionals, by a simple reference to the illustrated parts manual. If all you guys would get a free IPC from micro-tools and sit down and read it cover to cover... about 95% of all my responses would never be required. :lol:
Wire cable tie.png
IPC fig. 70.png
These are from pages 116 and 117 of the IPC. Of course these harness ties are no longer available. Cessna says p/n 49165 has been superseded by MS3367-1-9 -- the common nylon cable tie available from Aircraft Spruce as p/n 11-04229.
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

n2582d wrote:I am always amazed at how many times I'm able to provide information to owners, both amatuer and professionals, by a simple reference to the illustrated parts manual. ...].
There is no such thing as an "Illustrated parts manual".... There's only an Illustrated Parts CATALOG. :wink:

A "manual" provides servicing and maintenance information.
A "catalog" provides selection and ordering information.

The IPC for our airplanes is an unapproved document and cannot be relied upon for current maintenance practices. (It is useful as a guide only in that regard, as it contains many assembly-errors and omissions.)

In the case of these United Carr clamps, they are no longer readily available. I suggest you use Adel Clamps in lieu.