Tailwheel Leaf Spring Bracket Assembly

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

flyguy

Re: Tailwheel Leaf Spring Bracket Assembly

Post by flyguy »

MY BAD :D GAY HORN SNUK IT IN WHILE I WUX STRUGGLE WIT MY LANGEWUAGE

IMA MOSLY ALWAY A DAY LATE N A DOLLER SHORT
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I think Minton is refering to the shim that is depicted in the IPC but has no item number. That's a small shim at the bottom of the aft portion of the fishmouth style tail wheel bracket. I'm not in the camp that any crack is cause for rejection but rather what crack, where and in what component. Each situation needs carefull consideration as to the cause and solution and its up to the owner operator to think whether they possess the skills to make that determination. More than likely in the majority of circumstances, its advisable to get experienced help.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

c170b53 wrote:I think Minton is refering to the shim that is depicted in the IPC but has no item number. That's a small shim at the bottom of the aft portion of the fishmouth style tail wheel bracket. ....
This is part of the tailwheel bracket assembly and not sold as a seperate part. I believe this is due to it not being
considered a serviceable part... but instead being an integral part of the bracket. It's presumed purpose is to prevent
the hardened steel leafspring from excessively wearing the softer aluminum bracket.
Tailbracket WEAR shim.JPG
Tailbracket WEAR shim.JPG (9.94 KiB) Viewed 3082 times
Item 10, PN 0510000-30, shim, is intended to take up space for position-control of the Item 8, PN 0510000-3, channel when
the correct 170 springs are installed. (I should have said "this is my opinion", because that shim does not appear in the L-19 tailwheel bracket/leafspring parts catalog. The L-19 mainspring is thicker than the 170 spring because the L-19 has a heavier tailwheel "footprint". ...the weight upon the tailwheel is more than the 170, so the 170 spring must be thinner/lighter to provide proper shock/spring-action. In other words, if a heavier (notice I did not say "better", because I do not recommend that substitution) L-19 leafspring is used then the shim Item 10, is not used.)

You can make your own shim out of aluminum stock, .020 thickness. The purpose is to center the channel attach bolts (Item 19, AN3-4A bolts) in their holes so the channel and bracket holes are aligned. (Which is also the reason to torque the U-bolt and main bolt (item 2) before tightening items 19. If that process is not followed, the liklihood of cracking the tailpiece of the channel is also greatly increased.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
minton

Post by minton »

The shim is made of 2024-t3 in the thickness required. It can be made by your shop owner and flush riveted in place