Instrument Panel Upgrade

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kyle

Re: Instrument Panel Upgrade

Post by Kyle »

Just a few updated pictures for you. Here is how we are moving along. The plane is up and flying again - panel overlay is almost complete. The PS Engineering 6000B Audio panel is very nice and the Garmin SL30 Nav/Com is REALLY nice, even better driving the HSI. By the way, the venturi is driving the HSI just fine. With the power pulled off, as you come over the numbers your low vacuum causes a flag but by then the approach is completed anyway.

What we started with

[attachment=3]P1060162.JPG[/attachment]

What was under and behind the panel

[attachment=2]P1060582.JPG[/attachment]

In Progress

[attachment=1]P1060590.JPG[/attachment]

The plane is up and flying now - just finishing touches to the panel overlay and I'll post more pictures. Have to figure this out... The pictures are in reverse order ?????

Regards to all...
Attachments
As it sits now in flying condition - only the last overlay remains
As it sits now in flying condition - only the last overlay remains
In progress...
In progress...
What was behind the panel
What was behind the panel
Original configuration
Original configuration
Kyle Takakjian
Truro, MA
52 C-170B, N8087A
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Kyle,

I was curious if you had completed the panel overlay for your airplane? I really like your panel layout, and would love to see how the HSI cutout and trim ring ended up looking. Thanks!

Ryan
zenpilot

Post by zenpilot »

Related question...on a 1954 C-170B: for a replacement Instrument Panel "blank", (IPC Figure 43, index #1, no part number, Panel Installation - Shock mounted (Serial 25373 & on)...

What is the material type and thickness used? Is it standard 6061 or 6063 aluminum?

To replace an old swiss-cheese looking panel assembly with a new cleaner design, is the general process to get the blank, trace the basic outline and cut the appropriate holes? It seems like an easy task for a basic VFR panel, if you have the tools to cut accurately. What am I missing?

Thanks, Karl
CAVU Mark

Post by CAVU Mark »

Some fine examples of 170 panels. Yes, I am jealous. Currently I am in need of a replacement bezel and am not keen on making one myself. Any suggestions? Any for sale????
Mark
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

zenpilot wrote:Related question...on a 1954 C-170B: for a replacement Instrument Panel "blank", (IPC Figure 43, index #1, no part number, Panel Installation - Shock mounted (Serial 25373 & on)...

What is the material type and thickness used? Is it standard 6061 or 6063 aluminum?

To replace an old swiss-cheese looking panel assembly with a new cleaner design, is the general process to get the blank, trace the basic outline and cut the appropriate holes? It seems like an easy task for a basic VFR panel, if you have the tools to cut accurately. What am I missing?

Thanks, Karl
Here's an example of how a discussion thread has a "dropped ball". I'm sorry no one addressed your question, Karl, and I blame myself for not noticing, as I consider it my responsibility to see that every question gets a proper response.
As you suspect, aluminum alloy is the appropriate material, and the thickness is .125 or greater, your choice. Obviously, softer alloys/heat treatments are easier to work with, but common 2024 works very well.
CAVU Mark wrote:Some fine examples of 170 panels. Yes, I am jealous. Currently I am in need of a replacement bezel and am not keen on making one myself. Any suggestions? Any for sale????
I hope you can find the spare bezel you want, but it might be helpful to list it in The TradeMart, (which follows the rules that only TIC170A Members may place advertisements.) Be certain to either illustrate what you want with a pic or cut/paste from the IPC, or a specific Part Number.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

For our custom panel (see post May 08, 2010, this thread), we used 0.125" thick, 6061-T6 aluminum, which was easy to work with, as long as we didn't try to bend it. We made two separate mock-ups using 1/8" Masonite wood before we started to cut aluminum. If you copy the outline of the original Cessna blank, be aware of one thing - the two cut-outs for the yokes, are not symmetrical on the Cessna part. This became one of three reasons we ended up making a second version of our aluminum panel. If you go custom, the form for the vacuformed overlay is easy to make, as long as you cut the wood for the form, BEFORE you populate the panel. A band or sabre saw, disc/belt sander, and a router are the tools that make this job easy. Finally, the key to being able to closely replicate the standard "six pack" instrument lay-out is the selection of the DG. The Aeritalia 31100C was the shortest DG we could find, and allegedly Cessna has used this instrument in some of their aircraft. With some creative plumbing on the back, we were able to put this instrument where it needed to be, and still have about 1/8" clearance with full up elevator.

Hope this helps some. I do have an only slightly modified, original '54 C170B panel and bezel that I will sell. If interested, eMail me directly for pictures.

Karl T
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I have a piece of 0.125 2024-T3 left over from my panel replacement project (see third picture in first post) I'll sell for $60 + shipping.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
mekstrand

Post by mekstrand »

cessna170bdriver wrote:I have a piece of 0.125 2024-T3 left over from my panel replacement project (see third picture in first post) I'll sell for $60 + shipping.
Miles,

Im interested in your Aluminum. I've sent you a PM.

Marshall
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Marshall, I replied via email.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
mekstrand

Post by mekstrand »

Miles,

I didnt receive you email. Sent you a PM.

Marshall
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Evening everyone, happy new year. We installed the new overlay today complete with the HSI trim ring. We used 1/4 x 1/16 wall brass tube. Pinched in a vise to closely duplicate the shape of the original trim rings. Then each individual section was cut to length with a 45 or 90 degree end. On the back of each a slit was cut with a small wheel in the dremel to allow the pieces to slide up and catch the metal of the overlay. Once all the parts were trimmed and fitted I used solder to join the tubing. Sanding and some primer and it was ready for the blue trim paint, then the gloss black - then clear coated.

Here is what it looks like. I tried posting the picture before but it didn't take. Here goes... Nope, it's telling me "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached". Any ideas ?

Regards,

Kyle
Kyle Takakjian
Truro, MA
52 C-170B, N8087A
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Kyle, that message, "board attachment quota has been reached" means the picture your trying to attach is to large. Pictures or attachments must be under 1.5MB.

You need to reduce the width/depth or the resolution or both of the photo in order to reduce it's size.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Kyle wrote:...it's telling me "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached". Any ideas ?

Regards,

Kyle
Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Kyle, that message, "board attachment quota has been reached" means the picture your trying to attach is to large. Pictures or attachments must be under 1.5MB.

You need to reduce the width/depth or the resolution or both of the photo in order to reduce it's size.
Actually, what it means is....the amount of forums-memory devoted to photos has been reached. It isn't the size of your pic, Kyle. I've asked the webmaster (Dale Medendorp) to increase the quota and he has now done so.
You can try to upload your pic again, now.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

OK - here goes...

[attachment=1]P1080317.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]P1080317.JPG[/attachment]

Hey - it worked :D George, Bruce, Gary... Many thanks guys...
Attachments
P1080318.JPG
Another angle
Another angle
Kyle Takakjian
Truro, MA
52 C-170B, N8087A
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Kyle,
That looks great! Nice work on that HSI bezel. Now how about some night pictures to see how those NuLites work? Did you place the Nulites between the instruments and the panel or between the panel and the front cover? What made you choose Nulites over UMA's EL lights or Fiberlites?
Gary