Aluminum Spot Welding

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

DWood

Aluminum Spot Welding

Post by DWood »

I have completed reskinning the verticle and I am now reskinning the rudder on my 48 project. I would like to stay original.The skins are spot welded in several locations including the position light housing to the bottom skins. Since it was originally spot welded, I should be able to use the same attachment method when I reskin. Does anyone know who does spot welding for aluminum. They should be certified. I would prefer in the Southeast, but can ship if required.
Thx,
Dan
Solomon

Re: Aluminum Spot Welding

Post by Solomon »

Good evening, It got my interest when I saw something about welding. I am a certified welder but not certified for the spot weld in a rudder. I do aluminum welding for my own repairs. I also am in the years of restoring my 170B. At one point I reskined my rudder. The Aand P who did the reskin just used rivits. I do not think that someone would mark down an aircraft from being original because of spot welds . You could look up an FAA repair station nearest to you and bring the pieces together with clecos. When all is in alighnment then they could weld it for a minimum charge. An FAA repair station that does aircraft welding.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Dan,
I'm sure Kent White could spot weld that for you but I've heard he's rather pricey. He's also on the west coast. Maybe he would know someone closer to you. http://www.tinmantech.com/
Last edited by n2582d on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
DWood

Post by DWood »

Thanks for the responses and leads.
Dan
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Harry Dellicker can do aluminum spot welding.
DWood

Post by DWood »

Thank you, I will contact him.
Dan
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Interesting thread.

I'm sure I don't know all the differences between the three models of 170, but I have never noticed (never looked for) spot welds on a control surface for a 170, or any Cessna for that matter. (Maybe I need to go look closer at my own B-model airplane.) I am (was?) under the impression that all structural parts of the airplane formed from sheet aluminum use 2024 alloy (or the 1940/50's equivalent designation) which is generally considered to be un-weldable. I seem to remember my glove box being spot welded, but I don't really consider that structural, and just assumed it was a different alloy. If the rudder was indeed spot-welded from the factory, I'd be interested as to whether they used a different alloy, or used some special process. It could even be that "weldability" of various alloys doesn't apply to spot welding?

Please let this be "What I Learned Today". :wink:

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I'm floating in the same boat you are, Miles. I can' recall ever seeing any structural spot welds on my airplane(s).
To be perfectly honest, I don't ever remember seeing a spot welder in any of the small aircraft repair stations I've visited.
BL
DWood

Post by DWood »

Miles:
The spot welds that I have found on the 48 are really non structural in that if they failed, the airplane would not fall out of the sky.
Following is from Aircraft Spruce on 2024T3: Arc or gas welding is generally not recommended, although this alloy may be spot, seam or flash welded.
Dan
cessna170bdriver

DWood wrote:Miles:
The spot welds that I have found on the 48 are really non structural in that if they failed, the airplane would not fall out of the sky.
Following is from Aircraft Spruce on 2024T3: Arc or gas welding is generally not recommended, although this alloy may be spot, seam or flash welded.
Dan
Thanks Dan! I think I'll stop by the hangar and see how MY tail nav light is attached...

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
DWood

Post by DWood »

Miles:
On my project the rudder skins are original and the tail lamp housing has rivets at the front and rear with spot welds in between maybe 5 of them top and bottom. Check your trailing edges on the ailerons, flaps, elevators and rudder to see they are spot welded. Also there is a L shaped stiffner (atleast on the 48) on the bottom of the lower rudder skin that is spot welded.
Dan
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

On my '54, the cowl door skins are spot welded to the backing stiffeners.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I guess I'm getting closer all the time to the Rat-Plane trophy! (I think Bruce is having a detrimental effect on my original goals.) :lol:
MVC-052S.JPG
Cowl door.jpg
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

DaveF wrote:On my '54, the cowl door skins are spot welded to the backing stiffeners.
Ah ha! I forgot about that one. There are probably others. I guess I DID learn something today.

So there's at least one thing on my airplane that's more original than George's. :lol:

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
DWood

Post by DWood »

If anyone has trouble sleeping at night, here is some good information from American Welding Society on Aluminum Spot Welding for the Auto Industry:
http://www.aws.org/wj/2005/01/034/