Aluminum Spot Welding

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bagarre

Re: Aluminum Spot Welding

Post by bagarre »

n2582d wrote:Thanks David and Ryan. I ask an unambiguous, black and white question ... and the answer is ambiguous — black and white. :lol: I scoured this website for a picture of one and came up empty-handed. It seems every C-170 YouTube video had the ashtray covered with a portable GPS so I didn’t have any luck there either. :roll:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zHIFv321Scw1KLwz1

Those are a few photos of the black knobs.
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

I checked out the link Ryan provided as the knobs on my ashtray lids crumbled away long ago. Unfortunately, the replacement knobs (#4091275A-39) are not available at this time, although the page says you can leave your name if you want to be notified if they become available. Here's a direct link to the page for the knob: https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/86 ... e_Tan.html

The replacement knobs are "rose tan" colored, which appears from the photos to be the natural material color, kinda light brown.

Good find though. I hope they become available again.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
showe

Post by showe »

First time doing this so hopefully there is a picture following this...
IMG_2957.jpg
This is from a '48, the rim is chromed and the lid itself is painted the gray of the interior. The knob is a natural color plastic as described in a previous post.
Shawn
1948 N4039V SN 18358
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Shawn if this is your first post, welcome to the association's forums and could Bruce's efforts to provide forum faq's , paid off ? I'm sure we would all like to see more pics of the interior of your machine. Thanks again
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
showe

Post by showe »

Thanks Jim, yes Bruce has been a big help to us in more ways than one. Will be starting a thread of the restoration at some point. Ended up here trying to find a spot welding source since a couple of our control surfaces are damaged.
Shawn
1948 N4039V SN 18358
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

In one of the posts it is mentioned that AN gyros were used . Well that answered a question that was always bugging me .when I bought my wreck [170a ] it has this DG in it that was a monster . It didn’t work so I thought I would get it overhauled . The instrument shop guy started laughing when I asked about over haul . He showed me a military sticker still on the instrument . I thought some one had purchased it at a miltary surplus store .it was replaced with a very much smaller DG . The original DG was so large [4.5 ins across ??] and heavy , a standing joke in the hangar that I had to do a weight and balance check when I put the new one in . The old one was very heavy .
But the passage of time [technology] is fast approaching and now that one [smaller and much lighter ] will have to go . I am researching the pro,s and con,s of fitting a Garmin G5. It’s much lighter and no vacuum is required. A new top instrument panel will have to be constructed . I am trying to be one step ahead of the changing ATC environment in our country . While ADB-s is mandatory in a couple of years it’s now being whispered that aircraft flying in controlled air space will have to have 2 VHF radios independent of each other and a auto pilot fitted that will level a aircraft in flight when a panic button is pushed .
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Hope you’re keeping cool down there Ghostflyer. Heard Sydney had record high temps.

Mine weighs 3 lbs. 15 oz.!
FB57E31B-54E3-4245-90F9-1F150E6E9D16.jpeg
I’d like to keep it in the panel but if I add a CDI there’s no room. I think we need to start a thread in the Mx. Library on original instruments before everyone chucks them in exchange for Garmin G5’s.
Gary
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I do not know all of the in,s and out, of the G5 .yet. yes we having hot summer also . I am off work due to a work injury. So the last 3 weeks it’s been in the pool at home [hydro therapy !!!! ] . It’s a tough life , no flying but sun burn. What!! This was surprised to be about aluminium welding .
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Someone posted the knobs are not available...but apparently they actually are, in ivory, $14:
https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/shop/sear ... wordSearch
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

gahorn wrote:Someone posted the knobs are not available...but apparently they actually are, in ivory, $14:

My original ash tray knobs that crumbled apart after only 60 years of mostly sitting outside in the sun were ivory color. The new ivory knobs from “chevsofthe40s” were an exact color match and fit perfectly.
“chevsofthe40s” ivory colored replacement ash tray knob
“chevsofthe40s” ivory colored replacement ash tray knob
New ivory ash tray knobs from www.chevysofthe40s.com
New ivory ash tray knobs from www.chevysofthe40s.com
Last edited by hilltop170 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

That's great George. I was the one that posted that they were no longer available. Only the brown one came up when I searched using the interior then ashtray on the shop-by-category menu. The remnants of mine are also ivory, so the ones you found are perfect for my plane. That's another cosmetic fix I'll be able to cross off my list.

Edit: Well, I see what has happened. Right after posting this, I went back to the Chevy of the 40's site and did the same category search I did before, and there was the ivory knob on the same page as the brown one. So either it wasn't there the last time and they updated the site since there, or it was there and I'm just losing it. I'm sticking with the first explanation for now. :)
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

hilltop170 wrote:
gahorn wrote:Someone posted the knobs are not available...but apparently they actually are, in ivory, $14:

My original ash tray knobs that crumbled apart after only 60 years of mostly sitting outside in the sun were ivory color. The new ivory knobs from “chevsofthe40s” were an exact color match and fit perfectly. I had to supply my own #4 screw to attach them.
A3BBCAB0-F7DF-47E4-B06D-A822F1937A42.jpeg
I may have never actually said it... but I really like the interior colors you've used in your airplane, Richard. It's a beautiful bird.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Thanks George-
I plagiarized the paint colors off of a friend's C-195 that I thought was very nice. He gave me the paint codes and I had them duplicated. I think the red is very "rich". I was lucky to be able to see what the colors looked like together on an airplane, not just a color chip sheet. Darrel Mos of AMOS Aircraft Painting in Mesa did the work with Del Lehman managing the project and it turned out very nice.

The interior fabric was the last-of-the-last available Scottish wool herring-bone from Douglas Interiors in Seattle. They quit importing it and Rose A/C Interiors in Mena had just enough for one more interior. I lucked-out and Rose did a beautiful job.

I also had my C-180 painted at Mena years ago and I wanted it dark blue but was having a hard time visualizing how it would look. I narrowed colors down to a few shades and I asked Charlie Goodner, the paint shop owner to pick the color he thought best. When I came back to pick it up I asked Charlie how it looked. He said, "It sure is blue". Then I asked him what he called the color how he decided on the shade. He said it's "dumpster blue" 8O , I was coming to work and one morning and passed the dumpster manufacturing facility and looked over and thought that is the perfect shade so that's what he chose. That was in 1991 and it still looks good except for the normal Alaska wear and tear. They still paint dumpsters there the same color too.

Thanks again, I appreciate the compliment but Darrel and Del deserve the credit, not me.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Where are you guys going to get authentic 1950s ashes and butts to put in your authentic ashtrays?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

DaveF wrote:Where are you guys going to get authentic 1950s ashes and butts to put in your authentic ashtrays?
If you can find some roll-your-own with no printing on the paper it'll look original... :mrgreen:

(It's very common in Arrkinsaw... but I only tried Prince Albert because I liked the can.)

Quit doin' that stuff in May, 1985.