Flap Tracks

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

johnsunday

Flap Tracks

Post by johnsunday »

Getting ready to replace the flap tracks and rollers on Big Blue. Anyone have a recommendation on where to get the parts?
Many thanks,
John

N2786C just do a Google search if you want to see pix
GAHorn

Re: Flap Tracks

Post by GAHorn »

McFarlane for the roller kits. http://www.mcfarlane-aviation.com/Produ ... D=65289626&

Cessna for the tracks: http://www.cessnaparts.com/
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
minton

Post by minton »

Cessna offers a replacement track insert that is only the track area. If you have the correct tools it would save a bunch of labor. P/N 0523231-14
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

minton wrote:Cessna offers a replacement track insert that is only the track area. If you have the correct tools it would save a bunch of labor. P/N 0523231-14
How is it used/installed?

0523231-14 SPACER
(List Price: $ 188.00) Stock Available $ 150.40 (EA
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
minton

Post by minton »

Remove flap, You might have to drop the flap bay skin, drill out rivets that hold the inner (center) track in place, remove old, clamp new to old, drill same holes, install new and cleco or better yet use machine screws to hold in place, rivet in place and walah!! You have saved lots of time and many $$. Oh, be sure and clean the area completely and look over the entire flap track assy., rear spar and small tabs that secure the flap bay skin to the track for cracks before you get started! It would be the pitts if you found the cracks after the fact.
mike roe

Post by mike roe »

George
Where did you find this part. I cant find it at anyone I tried.
mike roe

Post by mike roe »

I found it. Hill ,or I want Cessna parts did not show it. Sort of strange.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I understand what MInton said, but has anyone else done this job and have more info or pics of the process? It seems to be a rarely-done procedure because I can't even find anything useful on YouTube!
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Dave, I take it you've already used the track wear gauge to assess that you need to replace some tracks? I thought I should do mine, bought the gauge and found the tracks on my 53 with 4000 hours to be just fine. I did ending up replacing all the rollers with McFarland parts.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I don't have the gauge, but I checked with a micrometer. The tracks aren't close to .6035 anywhere except the aftmost spot where the roller sits with flaps up. There it's getting close. I have no idea how fast they're wearing, I probably have ten years to go!

Edit -- I meant to say I checked with a calipers, using the internal-measurement points. Also, I meant to say the wear is at the forward-most point on the track slot, where the roller sits with the flaps up.
Last edited by DaveF on Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

As an update to earlier advice in this post McFarlane also manufactures flap tracks for a fraction of the price Cessna sells theirs for.
Gary
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

I changed my rollers and did the washer upgrade with the McFarlane upgrade roller kit two years ago. Pretty straightforward/simple with two people. I watched (and helped a little) an A&P friend change the flap tracks on his C-172 around the same time. He used McFarlane tracks. It was more involved than the roller change because of removing the flaps and the riveting, but again, pretty straightforward. But sorry, I didn't take pictures. I didn't see any surprises though. One of the slots on one of my tracks Is getting close to the limit in the same spot as Dave found the extra wear on his. Just at one spot at the very end of the slot. So I'm watching it. The rest of the slot and the other tracks are nowhere close to the limit.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Gene, did you guys drill the rivets that hold the rib-track-rib sandwich together, then slide the old tracks out and the new ones in? You didn't remove the ribs, did you?
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Dave, we definitely did not remove the ribs. As I recall, it was as minton and you describe it. Drilled the rivets and slid the track out. I'm not at the airport to look at my plane to jog my memory more, but I know that only the flap track was removed. I'll take a look at my plane tomorrow and post any further thoughts if necessary.

Regarding you edit of the wear point, that's where I understood you meant and where I have the most wear -- at the forward-most point in the slot where the roller sits with the flap up. It's surprising to me how much wear that point gets compared to the rest of the slots.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Thanks for the info, Gene. I think I know what to expect now, including R&R of the rollers. That wasn't my favorite. I'm not about to start the job, but when I do I'll take plenty of pictures.