rudder bellcrank

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Dward

rudder bellcrank

Post by Dward »

Hello George and whom it may concern,

I have been trying to PM you for a week without success so I thought I would try the forum.

I have two burning questions about the replacement of the rudder bellcrank assy on my 170.

I purchased a new rudder bellcrank for my “52” 170B ser#20478 and now have concerns as to whether or not I have the correct part. The 170 parts manual says, on page 28 figure 15-13, that the bellcrank is part# 0433113. I called Hill aircraft, a Cessna parts distributor, and was told that this was a good part #. I searched this part# at Univair and came up with the following: U0433113 Cessna rudder bellcrank. I ordered it and upon receipt made the following observations.

#1 My bellcrank has rudder stops riveted on . The new one has no provision for these nor are they shown in the parts manual.

#2 My bellcrank has 1/8 rivet holes and there are 14 of them. The new one has 3/32 holes and only 8 of them. (drill and ream?)

#3 The original bellcrank control cable connect holes are .489 and were bushed down to the AN3 connector bolts. The 2 outermost holes in the new bellcrank, where the control cables connect, are .189 ( slight clearance on the AN3 bolt).

#4 The new part has the following nomenclature on it:
P/N U0433113 (113715)
Cessna rudder bellcrank
FAA/PMA:120,140,140A

#5 Both parts are made of two pieces of .050 sheet aluminum and spot welded together.

Question #1 Do I have the right part for my aircraft?

Secondly I need the rudder hinge bearing/bushing. My A/C had a brass bushing, 3/8” OD and something not much less ID, in the 0910109 25-25 hinge bracket and an AN4 bolt. Thinking, because of my setup that the bearing/bushing was an either/or type thing I ordered the bushing. P/N U0431119 (110629) cessna fin bushing FAA/PMA:120,140,140A arrived and it is a small steel bushing OD.2465 and ID.187.

Question #2 Do I need to find an A-325-1 Oilite bearing to go with this bushing or is my brass bushing just worn that much?

George, any light you would be willing to shed on this matter would be greatly appreciated. And thank you, in advance, for your time to help me and for what you do for the association.

Sincerely, Dave Ward TIC170A#7648
Dave W

88 cyclo polisher
c170b53

Re: rudder bellcrank

Post by c170b53 »

See post rudder hinge for a look at a 170 rudder bellcrank. Yours should look the same
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Let me address first the bellcrank:

The Cessna 170B rudder bellcrank, PN 0433113 illustration:
0433113 bellcrank.JPG

Versus the Cessna L-19 rudder bellcrank PN 0660340 :
0660340 L19.JPG
Notice the item 24, "Bumper, rudder bellcrank stop" PN 0660341 which protects the L-19 bellcrank from the stop-bolt. ( Be especially aware of that "bumper" which protects the bellcrank from being damaged by being slammed against the stop-bolt head.)

Now that you are aware of those differences....Which do you have as "original"? And which do you want to choose as a replacement? Either should fit the airplane just fine. The Univair part is "FAA-PMA" meaning it's an aftermarket-produced part which has been FAA approved as a direct replacement for the genuine Cessna part. Cessna designates parts by numbering them after Cessna drawing numbers...hence drawing number 0433113 represents the Cessna part, and Univair designates their FAA-PMA parts by issuing their own part numbering system with the "U" in front of what otherwise would designate the Cessna number.

My own bellcrank was slightly damaged by being slammed against the stop-bolt and I had it repaired by installation of that "bumper" PN 0660341 onto the original bellcrank, in the hopes that it would protect it from further damage. I am satisfied that it will.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Now, for the second part of your question...the lower rudder hinge:
rudder hinge.JPG

Item 26 is an "Oilite" (brand/type) bearing, A-325-1 and Item 27 is a bushing, PN 0431119 , and you need both of them to adapt the rudder bellcrank to the rudder hinge.

By the way... "Oilite" is a brand-name of a mfr'r who makes bronze plain bearings. Plain bronze bearings are porous and are usually soaked in oil for 24 hours prior to installation. They retain the oil for long periods and only need occasional lubrication, per the maintenance manual. Ordinary SAE 30 wt motor oil is fine. McMaster-Carr can supply these under the SAE 841 specification:
http://www.mcmaster.com/ Go to their "bearings" pages, and look under bronze sleeve bearings, and you'll find the exact measurements you require, and the prices (typically about $5 each.)

Hope this helps.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Dward

Post by Dward »

George and all, thanks for the information. Two months ago when this all started I did a search for rudder bellcrank and couldn't find anything, then I post and find that Steve had the same issue 4 days earlier :oops: .

Thanks for putting my fears to rest that I have the right bellcrank. Now the weird part, my rudder stops aren't like the L-19 parts that you illustrated. They are solid aluminum and held by two rivets each forward of the steering spring tabs. In fact the mounting lugs on the tabs appear to have been filed away slightly to make room for the stops to mount. If I can figure out how to store pics online I will post some of this part. As of now I am leaning toward leaving these off. What do you think?

As for the bearing and bushing thanks again for the info. I have the bushing from Univair and I will order the bearing and soak it before intall. Funny thing, I Googled the bearing # before my original post but came up dry.

Again thank you for the help :D 2326D will be back in the air soon.
Dave W

88 cyclo polisher
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Dward wrote:....rudder stops.... As of now I am leaning toward leaving these off. What do you think?....
As I already mentioned....I paid someone to install some on mine. What do you think I think? :wink:

The A-325-1 bearing has now superceded to PN S1003-11A BEARING
(List Price: $ 12.20) Stock Available $ 10.98 (EA)

Available from Hill Aircraft: -800-998-7832
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

During 98C's annual inspection, my AI found the right side of the rudder bellcrank damaged due to contact with the stop. When he pointed it out, I noticed that the right stop appears to be some sort of "home brew" setup with an AN bolt head providing the contact surface. The left stop appears to be a flat-topped conical head bolt. I plan on ordering a new bellcrank, but I'd also like to replace the stop on the right side, but can't find rudder stops in the IPC. Is there any chance this would be the same as the elevator bellcrank stops PN 0510146-2 (items 11 & 12, figure 25, Tail Cone Assembly, pp. 48, 49 in the IPC)?

I'd also consider installing the L-19 "bumpers" George references earlier in this post, but can't find them at cessnaparts.com or Univair. Any ideas where these can be found?

I apologize for the fuzzy pictures, but were the best I could do with the hardware I had on hand. :| It's not readily evident, but the flanges on the right side of the bellcrank are worn all the way the web where the bellcrank contacts the bolt head. The left side shows no wear at all. As far as I know, this is the configuration I've been flying with since I've owned the airplane (1500+ hours, 27+ years).

MIles
Attachments
RudderBellcrank_Both.jpg
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Miles, the bumper PN 0660341 is an L-19 part and available from Air Repair, Inc, Cleveland MS. 662-846-0228
If your bellcrank has only lost it's flange and the web not extensively damaged you may be able to install the bumper and not have to replace the entire bellcrank. It can be done "in situ".
The only stops I've seen are actually AN bolts. Your left one is the only difference I've seen.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

gahorn wrote: The only stops I've seen are actually AN bolts. Your left one is the only difference I've seen.
I was going to say I thought they all were AN bolts.

I've also seen repairs to the flange area by taking a piece of flat aluminum cut in a strip about a 1/2 wide the wrapped around the damaged flange from the top back around to the bottom like a C. Then a solid rivet or two through the top C flange, the rudder horn and finally the bottom C flange.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
cessna170bdriver

gahorn wrote:Miles, the bumper PN 0660341 is an L-19 part and available from Air Repair, Inc, Cleveland MS. 662-846-0228
If your bellcrank has only lost it's flange and the web not extensively damaged you may be able to install the bumper and not have to replace the entire bellcrank. It can be done "in situ".
The only stops I've seen are actually AN bolts. Your left one is the only difference I've seen.
Here's a couple of photos of my old rudder bellcrank as removed in March of this year. I ordered the bumpers from Air Repair, but the holes don't line up with those on the bellcrank, and my AI thought it wouldn't be good idea to add holes to the new part. He was of the opinion that the bumpers wouldn't be necessary in normal use as long as some sort of rudder lock is used when the airplane is stored outside. The bottom picture is the new bellcrank as installed.

George, if you think the old bellcrank might be repairable in some way, I'll bring it to the convention for the auction.
Old Horn Bottom Taken 20100531_25pct.jpg
Old Horn Top Taken 20100531_25pct.jpg
New Horn Taken 20100531_25pct.jpg
Miles

— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cessna170bdriver wrote:...George, if you think the old bellcrank might be repairable in some way, I'll bring it to the convention for the auction....
You never know who might find it useful... but there are so many rivet-holes that would be so unlikely to line-up in any other installation other-than-the-original... I'd be surprised if anyone wanted it. (Never say never.... :wink:
cessna170bdriver

gahorn wrote:You never know who might find it useful... but there are so many rivet-holes that would be so unlikely to line-up in any other installation other-than-the-original... I'd be surprised if anyone wanted it. (Never say never.... :wink:
The new bellcrank was pre-drilled and lined up with the rudder just fine.
Miles

— Thomas Browne
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Someone had a heavy right foot, I'm looking at the photo's and I would have thought the stops would have been more symmetrical. Then again using my plane as a Chinese blueprint is useless, its had too many encounters to be straight.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

A common cause of damaged rudder bellcranks is.... failure to use a rudder GUST LOCK when parking the airplane. Winds and gusts from other aircraft slams the rudder against the stops.

However,...just to be certain a noobie doesn't make the old-error.... NEVER use a Gust-Lock at the rudder upper-counter-balance/overhang area. A strong gust will seriously damage your rudder.

Also, avoid a method that has been promoted in the SRAM and other places here at the Assn.... namely, do not use a "block" or "wedge" at the rudder bellcrank area, because excessive forces occur there which can also cause expensive damage.

Instead, use a method which holds the rudder at it's trailing ege. I'll post a pic of my personal method, but there are other good designs also.
MVC-014S.JPG
MVC-015S.JPG
MVC-016S.JPG
cessna170bdriver

c170b53 wrote:Someone had a heavy right foot, I'm looking at the photo's and I would have thought the stops would have been more symmetrical. ...
gahorn wrote:A common cause of damaged rudder bellcranks is.... failure to use a rudder GUST LOCK when parking the airplane. Winds and gusts from other aircraft slams the rudder against the stops.

However,...just to be certain a noobie doesn't make the old-error.... NEVER use a Gust-Lock at the rudder upper-counter-balance/overhang area. A strong gust will seriously damage your rudder. ...
I may very well have a heavy right foot, but alas, I think George hit the nail on the head on this one. Since I've been in CA, I've had two 1-year stints of outside storage, without a rudder gust lock. :oops: It was parked into the prevailing wind (west-northwest), but we often get just the opposite (Santa Ana winds). I think one of the reasons the right side got beat up more than the left is that the left stop on my airplane has a large flat head, similar in appearance to the elevator bellcrank stops shown in the IPC (see photos earlier in this thread). The right side has a smaller area hex head stop.

I shouldn't have to go through this again, as I now own a hangar, and a very generous former member gave me his original in-cockpit yoke and pedal lock. 8)
Miles

— Thomas Browne