rudder bellcrank

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cmsusllc

Re: rudder bellcrank

Post by cmsusllc »

A number of years ago I was flying a stock 170A out of 100 Mile House in British Columbia, a one way strip, down hill with a good tail wind. I was just ready to lift off when the tail wheel slammed back to the ground and I was headed off the left side of the runway. I rolled in enough aileron that the right wing tip should have been ground down but I got it under control again with all wheels on the pavement but not enough room to stop before the fence. I was able to nurse it off enough to clear the fence the level off and fly down the valley to build up more speed then fly on to my destination. After parking the plane
( and cleaning out the seat ) I did a walk around just to check it out. No scratches on the wing tip but the rudder bell crank had substantial damage from hitting the stop. So it can be done under normal (??) usage.
Scott.....53B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
gahorn wrote:Miles, the bumper PN 0660341 is an L-19 part and available from Air Repair, Inc, Cleveland MS. 662-846-0228
If your bellcrank has only lost it's flange and the web not extensively damaged you may be able to install the bumper and not have to replace the entire bellcrank. It can be done "in situ".
The only stops I've seen are actually AN bolts. Your left one is the only difference I've seen.
... my AI thought it wouldn't be good idea to add holes to the new part. He was of the opinion that the bumpers wouldn't be necessary in normal use as long as some sort of rudder lock is used when the airplane is stored outside. ...]
He's correct, of course, with regard to the use of rudder gust locks...always a good idea, IMO.

As for installation of the bumpers...Del added them to my bellcrank without any problem and I'm very pleased.
Item 24, PN 0660341, Bumper
Item 24, PN 0660341, Bumper
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gahorn wrote:...As for installation of the bumpers...Del added them to my bellcrank without any problem and I'm very pleased...
Got photos? I still have the parts, so maybe that could be an item to accomplish this year (add it to the list :wink: ).
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
gahorn wrote:...As for installation of the bumpers...Del added them to my bellcrank without any problem and I'm very pleased...
Got photos? I still have the parts, so maybe that could be an item to accomplish this year (add it to the list :wink: ).
The only complaint I have about Del's work is....he forgot to spray it with ScotchGuard to keep the dirt and oil off!
rudder bellcrank bumper1.jpg
rudder bellcrank bumper.jpg
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Dallas170

Post by Dallas170 »

gahorn wrote:
cessna170bdriver wrote:
The only complaint I have about Del's work is....he forgot to spray it with ScotchGuard to keep the dirt and oil off!
rudder bellcrank bumper1.jpg
rudder bellcrank bumper.jpg

Reviving an old thread....

Was it necessary to modify either part? I got the L-19 bumpers, but my A&P says the holes do not line up with the holes in the bellcrank in any orientation.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Dallas170 wrote:[...

Was it necessary to modify either part? I got the L-19 bumpers, but my A&P says the holes do not line up with the holes in the bellcrank in any orientation.
The reason to add the "bumper" was because the head of the bolt which limited rudder travel was damaging the bellcrank. This is also the reason the L19 has that device. It's an easy thing to add, and it's not required that the existing holes line-up... simply drill new ones to mount the "bumper" and ignore the existing ones, if you wish to do this.
The beauty of rivets is they do not need an exactly "sized" or reamed hole...they fill the void to make a secure attachment.
Dallas170

Post by Dallas170 »

gahorn wrote:
Dallas170 wrote:[...

The reason to add the "bumper" was because the head of the bolt which limited rudder travel was damaging the bellcrank. This is also the reason the L19 has that device. It's an easy thing to add, and it's not required that the existing holes line-up... simply drill new ones to mount the "bumper" and ignore the existing ones, if you wish to do this.
The beauty of rivets is they do not need an exactly "sized" or reamed hole...they fill the void to make a secure attachment.
That is the same issue I was having and found this thread. Is always nice to discover you're not the first to have a certain problem and someone has already solved it! From your pictures, I thought the holes would line up, so I thought I might have gotten a different part.
170C

Post by 170C »

Rereading George's earlier (2011) post about Del forgetting to Scotch Guard the Scott steering area, surely there wouldn't be any oil ever get back there from a Continental 8O :lol:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

170C wrote:Rereading George's earlier (2011) post about Del forgetting to Scotch Guard the Scott steering area, surely there wouldn't be any oil ever get back there from a Continental 8O :lol:
I think Continental dedicated themselves to continuing the aeronautical tradition of designing their engines to mimic radials! :? :lol:
mit

Post by mit »

This tread helped me out thanks! Price for oillite bushing is now 31.80. 8O
Tim
LRPartridge

Post by LRPartridge »

26 July 2021

Thank you gents for the rudder bellcrank discussion. Very useful. It is one of my many "little projects" with the 1948 flying machine.
All the best, Leslie
Leslie Partridge
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

GAHorn wrote:... Item 26 is an "Oilite" (brand/type) bearing, A-325-1 and Item 27 is a bushing, PN 0431119 , and you need both of them to adapt the rudder bellcrank to the rudder hinge.

By the way... "Oilite" is a brand-name of a mfr'r who makes bronze plain bearings. Plain bronze bearings are porous and are usually soaked in oil for 24 hours prior to installation. They retain the oil for long periods and only need occasional lubrication, per the maintenance manual. Ordinary SAE 30 wt motor oil is fine. McMaster-Carr can supply these under the SAE 841 specification:
http://www.mcmaster.com/ Go to their "bearings" pages, and look under bronze sleeve bearings, and you'll find the exact measurements you require, and the prices (typically about $5 each.)

Hope this helps.
McMaster-Carr p/n 1688K5 Ultra-Low-Friction Oil-Embedded Sleeve Bearing.
Gary