Seat Rail Stops / Clips

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Chris Christensen

Seat Rail Stops / Clips

Post by Chris Christensen »

Need a couple more of what I thought were /are stock Cessna Seat Rail Stops.

Looked in parts catalog, and it dimly shows what looks like a possible small clevis pin and smaller cotter pin.
The dim sketch may show the parts that hold in the part I am looking for.
It DOES NOT show the item that fits over the top of the seat rail just before the slot used to remove the seat.

There are NO part number balloons even for the two dimly sketched parts.

Any clues would help.
I do have the Aerostops, but mech. says I need the others to be "airworthy."
53-170-B+
It is better to be late in this world, than early in the next !
170C

Re: Seat Rail Stops / Clips

Post by 170C »

Until you get the stops needed you can put a cotter pin through the hole in the seat track and it will prevent the seat from going back beyond the "stop" location. The cotter pin probably isn't an approved stop, but it will do the job. A clevis pin will also do the same job. If your IA has any shop skills, he can make you a couple of the "over the rail" stops for a bunch less than Cessna will gouge you for.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... atstop.php

I think that's what you are talking about.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Half-inch aluminum channel (available from most hardware stors like Lowes, Ace, etc.) can be cut into 3/8" length's and drilled to accept a short clevis pin. Much sturdier and better looking. (I use a tiny stainless "key-ring" cotter-replacement from the local marine store rather than a cotter in that clevis. It's reuseable.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
mod cessna

Post by mod cessna »

These seat stops are the way to go. Heavy duty, red so i cant loose them, no tools req. http://www.aerotwin.com/products/cessna_seat_stop.html
Those spindley little stops are ok and cheaper if your into that kind of thing...

edit:
Here is the Cessna PN that you are looking for 0713074-1 $25.26 list price.
mod cessna

Post by mod cessna »

The 0713074-1 PN is the strap and pin cessna stop the 170B PM figure 18 item 44& 45 shows four 0511301-67 "bushing-seat stop" & two AN380-4-3 C-pins. Did they just put a bushing on each side of the rail and stick a c-pin through it?? Come on gahorn you must have the original seat stops?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

PN 0511301-67 SPACER (List Price: $ 15.70) Stock Available $ 12.56 (EA)
800-998-7832
Tell 'em you're a TIC170A member for the discount.

(This is one of those "mostly" things. Don't tell ARDave.) :wink:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Chris Christensen

Post by Chris Christensen »

Thanks very much to ALL of ya

This is still the best source to start with AFTER the official docs.

Appreciate it all

Chris C.
53-170-B+
It is better to be late in this world, than early in the next !
dstates

Post by dstates »

I know I’m resurrecting an old thread, just remember that I’m a newbie and I did search for this first. ;)

For the seat rail stops (of which my 170A has none), it looks like the parts catalog for the A only show them at the back of the rail. I recently looked at another members 170B and he had a stop at the front and rear of the rail. If I’m ordering some, do I need two or four?

Also, what are your thoughts 11 years later? Do I go with the McFarlane seat stop kit #1, #3, the Aero Twin part linked above, or the original bushing from the parts catalog?

Thanks,
Doug

For reference here is a link to the McFarlane parts.
https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/produ ... 20KIT%201/

And here is a picture of the 170B seat rail stops I saw...
52E8E93A-FEA7-4192-B94B-37D5FBD24966.jpeg
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Please at all costs fit seat rail stops . I refuse to fly in or fly a aircraft without seat rail stops and secondary stops. I even carry around a couple of spare seat rail stops in my grab bag.
Why you might ask ? Well unfortunately I was a witness to a situation where a sky diving Cessna 206 didn’t have stops fitted and 5 people died . I had to refuel my aircraft one day and had to wait for the 206 to finish at the bowser . I wandered over and just had a look inside where all the seats had been removed and noticed that a roller door had been fitted to the right hand side instead of the clam shell doors. I made a non threading remark about the roller door installation and wow the young pup pilot took exception . I then noticed that there were NO seat rail stops . I pointed out the safety issue here and told him it was very dangerous and it’s not that expensive to fit them . I received a ear full on that. So arrogant.
Two days later at the same airport that aircraft crashed killing 5 people .it had stalled on take off and ensuring fire . It was found not to have seat rail stops. It was a tandem jump and 2 people were having a jump as a gift . Plus 2 of the them had never been in a small aircraft . That pilot died . At the inquiry it was noted that the pilot and the owner of the sky diving company were dangerous idiots .they had of history of doing stupid actions.

Ps. The number of aircraft I see with only one stop on a rail for a seat is staggering. Have at least 3 on the rear section of the rails , 2 equal distance of travel and another one position so if the seat locking mechanism fails that seat does not travel back that the pilot doesn’t travel that far back and loses control. I always trim the nose down on take off slightly so if the control wheel control is lost ,the aircraft will nose slightly down.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I would buy the McFarlane product. Well actually I'd probably make them but you get the idea. I'd put them front and back. Having a seat disengage from the rail, specially the ONE that has the stop pin, is extremely dangerous. Without the stops it can and I've seen it happen.

Having said that, someone will point out that if the seat upholstery has been overstuffed and or the seat changed in shape such as later seats, it is usually impossible for the seat to come off the rail in the front. Still the stop should be there to be correct.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Agree completely with Bruce on this. Especially on making them yourself.

Go to Home Despot and buy aluminum 5/8” channel. Cut a short piece off it and drill thru it and stick a clevis from Aircraft Spruce thru it and use a Marine “Circle-cotter” (also avail at HD or many boat/marine suppliers) or ordinary cotter or safety-pin thru the clevis. Total cost about $5 for sufficient material to make scores of these things.
dstates

Post by dstates »

OK, so I'm hearing that the McFarlane version of the u-clip is adequate. I'm also hearing that I should get them for front and rear ends of the rail.

I do also have a set of secondary seat stops (Saf-T-Stop).

My last question, McFarlane kit #1 or #3? The difference is a couple bushings that look to straddle each side of the rail.

Doug
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Some of this is NEWS to me.

I am hearing Seat Stops in Front and Back.

I need to step up.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

OMG making these seat rails stops yourself ? If there is a accident the FAA and who knows what else will be looking at this area very closely due to the number of accidents that have occurred with stalls on take off. If it’s not a know brand or design the insurance companies will have a field day. These clips are not expensive . You want these clips to work when the sh.t hits the fan. It’s very simply, if the seat moves around uncontrollable what can the pilot do . While you think yours is stronger and cheaper it’s a safety device . Plus the legality of it also is in the question. Plus these stops must be inspected each 100hrly especially on tail draggers many pilots do this when they want to leave the aircraft the seat unlock is released and the chair sails back until the seat stop is encountered with a bang .