Seat Rail Stops / Clips

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Seat Rail Stops / Clips

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

McFarlane set #1 is what your want.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ghostflyer wrote:OMG making these seat rails stops yourself ? If there is a accident the FAA and who knows what else will be looking at this area very closely due to the number of accidents that have occurred with stalls on take off. If it’s not a know brand or design the insurance companies will have a field day. These clips are not expensive . You want these clips to work when the sh.t hits the fan. It’s very simply, if the seat moves around uncontrollable what can the pilot do . While you think yours is stronger and cheaper it’s a safety device . Plus the legality of it also is in the question. Plus these stops must be inspected each 100hrly especially on tail draggers many pilots do this when they want to leave the aircraft the seat unlock is released and the chair sails back until the seat stop is encountered with a bang .
My My... is the sky falling down under?

1. IF an accident happens the authities would have to determine the accident was caused by the item for it to be an issue. Accidents are not caused by seat stops. Some accidents may be prevented by them...but they do not cause them. As for Insurance companies having a “field-day”: I don’t believe Insurance companies have ever voided policy support over any “failed” seat stop ...or any other failed aircraft part. Insurance coverage applies regardless of cause as long as it’s not terrorism, war, deliberate vandalism by the owner, or Acts of God. Ask your agent if you don’t believe.

2. Known brand? Is there any identification whatsoever on the little aluminum strap that identifies it as to mfr’r or pedigree? No.

3. Legality? It is TOTALLY LEGAL (for a U.S. registered aircraft) for a private aircraft owner to make parts for his own aircraft. If you are sufficiently talented with a file you can make your own crankshafts. See the FARs and numerous articles (including these forums) on this very subject. http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... uced+parts

4. 100 hr inspections... No pilot post flight activity regarding seat stops qualifies for 100 Hr Inspection. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bgiesbrecht

Post by bgiesbrecht »

mod cessna wrote:These seat stops are the way to go. Heavy duty, red so i cant loose them, no tools req. http://www.aerotwin.com/products/cessna_seat_stop.html
Those spindley little stops are ok and cheaper if your into that kind of thing...

edit:
Here is the Cessna PN that you are looking for 0713074-1 $25.26 list price.
These are the ones I bought.
Former owner of:
1953 170B
N1977C
s/n 26122
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

bgiesbrecht wrote:
mod cessna wrote:These seat stops are the way to go. Heavy duty, red so i cant loose them, no tools req. http://www.aerotwin.com/products/cessna_seat_stop.html
Those spindley little stops are ok and cheaper if your into that kind of thing...

edit:
Here is the Cessna PN that you are looking for 0713074-1 $25.26 list price.
These are the ones I bought.
Same here, good solution.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Red ones, so hoping that your aircraft flys faster.