Door Seal

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

W.J.Langholz

Re: Door Seal

Post by W.J.Langholz »

gahorn wrote:. This is one of the reasons it's so stupid for some FAA inspectors .
Showboatsix.... don't say ANYTHING! :lol:
what's that....can you please repeat I didn't hear that.............. :lol: :lol: :lol:............life goes on G Horn :wink:
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
tweiss

Post by tweiss »

The timing on this door seal information couldn't be better. I am starting a total interior re-do next month.
In addition to the seals already mentioned on this thread, I'm wondering if there is a seal that goes around the side windows (front and rear) when I replace the glass. And also if there is some sort of "goo" that is recomended with or without seals.

Thank you for your input.

Tom Weiss
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There is an edge seal depicted in some versions of IPC's but I've yet to find any better material than ordinary felt (just like the windshield.) Don't use any type of RTV. Many types of glue (especially RTV's) have ammonia as an ingredient and it will craze and embrittle the edge of the plastic.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
futr_alaskaflyer

Post by futr_alaskaflyer »

Any issues with durability of the foam-type door seals from Brown? I would think an advantage of the Spruce-type silicon is less risk of tearing it...downside is flexibility and compressibility at ambient interior Alaska winter temps 8O
Richard
N3477C
'55 B model (Franklin 6A-165-B3 powered, any others out there?)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

My door seals (the one I suggested, from Brown) is now ten years old with no signs of deterioration.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Iceman07

Post by Iceman07 »

OK, I've tead through both threads, but I need a clear answer:

Is the replacement of door seals considered to be Preventitive Maintenance or not?

IOW - Can I do it or does it need to be done by my A&P?

TIA

Rich
N5740C 1950 'A' Model
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It''s an unpressurized airplane and the seal performs no function of airworthiness. It is a part of the upoholstery and trim. It is Preventive Maintenance.

Be careful not to stress the door hinges by cramming too thick of a seal into place. Not only is the loss of a door inflight a hazard, but those door hinges (especially the uppers) are becoming very scarce and expen$ive.
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

Can someone give the exact dimensions of the Brown door seal discussed in this thread?

That is the outside diameter of the loop on top of the "P" ?

What is the length of the "tail" measured on the inside from the bottom of the P's "loop"?

Thanks.

Bruce
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

What a bunch of wimps! I took all the door seals off. I like fresh air.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

4-Shipp wrote:Can someone give the exact dimensions of the Brown door seal discussed in this thread?

That is the outside diameter of the loop on top of the "P" ?

What is the length of the "tail" measured on the inside from the bottom of the P's "loop"?

Thanks.

Bruce
The "loop" is 3/8". The flat portion is about the same. It's what I have on mine and it's been great.
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

Thanks, George. How did you attach it, as in what orientation?
Bruce Shipp
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

4-Shipp wrote:Thanks, George. How did you attach it, as in what orientation?
Remove the door from the aircraft and lay it (outside surface - down) onto saw-horses. (Use old towels to prevent scratching your glass.) Remove the old seals.

Clean the inside-corner of the entire door-surround with MEK to remove all traces of old adhesive. (do not get MEK anywhere else)

Using an acid-brush (or very small disposable paint-brush) paint the entire inside-corner of the door with 3-M 1300-L adhesive which has been diluted 1/3 with MEK. Paint the door-seal flat-surface (opposite side of the loop) with the dilute 1300-L. Allow adhesive to dry. (about 15 mins)

Begin applying the doorseal to the door inside-corner surfaces. Start at the bottom of the door just a few inches forward of the lower/aft corner, and proceed forward towards the hinges. As you apply the seal, paint the dried adhesive on the door with fresh MEK to re-juvenate it. Butt the end to the place-of-beginning of the seal, which should be about 6-inches ahead of the lower/aft corner. (This parting-place provides a water-tight seal at the forward/upper/aft surfaces, virtually all of the lower surface, yet a place for any water to drain.)

A word about seal-orientation: The flat surface is glued to the inner door-surface...not the thin-flat "flanged" area of the door.... but the formed "hollow" portion of the door where it inserts into the cabin. It is glued along the outer circumference of that hollow "raised" portion. ("raised" refers to that area approx. one-inch "hollow" which protrudes into the cabin. The straight-leg of the "P" will be glued to the hollow, with the "o" portion laying against the flange-area, very tightly within the curve formed there. When complete, the seal will resemble an "O" (with a double-walled thickest portion to the door).... no longer a "P".
door seal.JPG
If you want to make this installation really fastidious, then use aluminum-foil tape to mask out the area to apply the adhesive, then strip off the tape after the adhesive has dried ...before applying the painted-seal.
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

Thanks, George. The sketch is exactly what I was looking for.

For those interested, I looked at Brown's part number T-9088 and they wanted $6.30 per foot. The web site listed the price as $6.30 and stated the material came in 25 foot rolls, so I ordered a quantity of "1" assuming I was ordering one roll. I aslo thought it was a great deal!!! They were nice enough to call and ask if I really wanted only one foot of door seal. After explaining that it was $6.30 per foot and not per roll I decided to check some other options.

Spruce part number 05-00010 Piper Door Seal is the exact same size and sells for $2.50 per foot or $62.50 for a 25 foot roll. I measured my roll and it is the same as the dimensions George provided.

Bruce
Bruce Shipp
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There are a couple of items for which Brown wants what appears exhorbitant prices available more reasonable elswhere. The difference is shelf-life. Brown maintains very fresh stock while other suppliers of the same product order huge quantities...and may have it on the shelf for long periods before it is sold. This creates a situation where old-product, which was produced in a period of less cost... yet may not be as durable due to production-date.

I'd have no qualms about using the Spruce material.

priced at $62.50 for 25 ft.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... rseals.php
tweiss

Post by tweiss »

George,

Does Brown have anything for a baggage door seal? If not, any recomendations? My baggage door is one I often see on C-180's with the oval push/pull handle.
2nd. question while I'm posting. For gluing carpet to aluminum such as flap/trim tunnel, should I have any concerns on types of glue that may inhibit corrosion?

Thanks.

Tom