Assist Straps

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ptporebski

Re: Assist Straps

Post by ptporebski »

Fellow C170 Assoc Members,

As I mentioned in a different post, my 59 straight tail is in annual. Cessna cheapened the interior of the early 172s from the 170s as it wasn't certain if the 172 would be a commercial success (if you can believe that). So the early 172s (i.e. the straight tails) don't have opening passenger door windows or an arm rest. To close the door you have to pull on the door handle, which is pretty much the same as a 170s. I have had the handle pop off several times doing this. Since the plane is in annual I spoke to my IA and he is willing to install a door pull and sign it off as a minor mod.

I would like to obtain 2 old (or new) passenger assist straps like are on the door pillars of the 172 (same as the 170s) and use them as the door pulls. Although not technically accurate, they will at least preserve the look of the interior.

I followed the below links, but they don't work anymore. Does anybody either have 2 old assist straps they are willing to sell (need the end hardware in particular) or know where I can buy 2 new ones? I am referring to the original type of metal end fittings in particular. I can have old ones rebuilt so I don't care about the condition. I had the existing passenger assist straps rebuilt by a local automobile interior shop and they did a great job. The straps look very period and nice. They work too, as my older passengers tend to use them a lot. I find that I rarely use the pilot one - maybe that will change as I age! I have searched the internet and so far come up dry. Would appreciate any leads. Thanks.

Regards,
Pete P.
1959 C-172 (aka "The Fair-Haired Stepchild" to the 170s) :wink:
The better is the enemy of the good.
1959 C-172
170C

Post by 170C »

You will likely find the assist strap hardware the most difficult to locate. If the sources listed on this forum aren't still in business you may recall someone suggested checking at horse tack shops as they may have something that will work . An alternative would be to make them yourself (owner produced parts). Someone with shop equipment could make them. Your auto shop could likely make the actual strap itself.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

If you find a source for the metal round original style strap ends (or a close approximation), please, please post the source. A guy named Ron Matta 480-998-1752, leatherbizz at hotmail.com, posts an add in Cessna Flyer for solid billet aluminum replacements of the later style plastic rectangular door handle ends of later 172's, 182's , etc. But they are not cheap at $310 for a set of 4.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
Aeroplane

Post by Aeroplane »

Found these on eBay last night anordered two pair. I figured I'd give them a shot for the price. Looks like they've made, or at lest sold by, Eckler's and the size appears to be acceptable. More will be revealed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111954839747?e= ... em&vxp=mtr
Louie Hanna ‘49 A model
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Yes, it looks like Eckler's (MAC's) does sell them, along with a version that has vertical, rather than horizontal, holes if you prefer that config. http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_model ... p&x=18&y=8. Nice find.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

The only problem I see with these is they are designed to be mounted with -4 sheet metal screws into a steel automobile. Since our aircraft are aluminum I'm not sure they would hold up to some 250 pounder pulling on the strap. The original mounts are a -10 machine screw into a nut plate which will handle the weight.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

You could drill out the top hole to fit a #10 screw and leave the bottom hole blank.
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I cannot locate any assist strap information in IPC Sept 1956 edition.

My assist straps deserve a long life recovering material leather preferred. Who?

End hardware slightly pitted but serviceable I lost the fasteners will try to duplicate in Stainless.
McMaster Carr amazes me with hard to locate parts.

Numerous times I have thought about upgraded strap hardware being fabricated by CNC with titanium alloy.
Once the file is created may be a snap to mfg 30 - 50 pair.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

I disassembled an old assist strap today. I was surprised to see that inside the rope is sash chain.
IMG_0330.JPG
Flagpole rope is made with steel cable inside but the largest I've found is 3/8". The assist strap is 1/2" dia.
IMG_0328.JPG
I'm going to see what it would cost to laser cut a bunch of the end fittings and the steel fittings that are swaged to the rope.
IMG_0329.JPG
The old end fitting melted when I burned out the rope left in the swaged fitting. Pot metal? The challenge to recreating this will be finding similar rope and making a die to form/swage the fittings around the rope.
Gary
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

image.jpeg
I fashioned his using .125 Stainless steel plate. Works good and very strong. Only takes some time, effort and an assortment of files.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Ed, that is one of the nicest solutions I've seen. Some time and hand work but really not that hard at all to make.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Ed,
That really looks nice. Were you able to reuse the swaged end fittings on the rope or how did you connect your stainless steel fittings to the assist strap?
Gary
170C

Post by 170C »

Ed, I'll take 4 :lol:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

n2582d wrote:Ed,
That really looks nice. Were you able to reuse the swaged end fittings on the rope or how did you connect your stainless steel fittings to the assist strap?
I used the old hardware, was still in good shape, and new nylon rope.
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

170C wrote:Ed, I'll take 4 :lol:
Frank, I made a set of them for the convention silent auction two or three years ago....I think a guy from Alaska bought them.....think they went for $30. What a deal ! They were in a small bag, don't think anyone really noticed them.