Assist Straps

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

The rear seat assist straps in my 180, which I think were original, were the single screw car type Bruce has pictured. The front assist straps I made were simular to the two screw straps Bruce has pictured first.

Harold H
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I take it they were "PMA"? (Passes My Approval) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
scottgsaunders

let's get a batch of silicon brass assist strap fittings

Post by scottgsaunders »

I've got to replace my assist straps, apparently like several other posters. The leather grip covering around the straps are faded, cracked and crumbling to dust. I can reuse the attach fittings if need be, although they are pitted. I'll probably cut away the old leather strap and braid a sinnet with parachute cord since tan parachute cord matches my interior pretty well.

If anyone wants to go in on a small batch of silcon bronze attach fittings, I am game. We could get enough extra made to aid other members in future seeking authentically shaped hardware.

scott.saunders@dcma.mil
N3493C
Scott Saunders
Alexandria VA
saundersst@yahoo.com
N3493C
1955 Cessna 170B
Based KVKX--Potomac Airfield, MD
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Scott,

I would be interested in 2 or 4 (depending on the final cost) of the assist strap fittings. I'd also like to see any drawings or photos of the braided parachute cord you propose for the strap itself.

Miles

PS:

As an aside, I see that you are referring to your airplane, N3493C, as a 1954 model. My airplane, N3498C (sn 26541) is a factory mate to yours, and while the logbook entry for the test flight is not dated, the original equipment list and weight and balance is dated October 26, 1954. However, the 1955 "model year" started with N3462C (sn 26505, the first airplane with the "square" rear window, modified tailwheel steering, and modified layout of the "fixed" part of the panel). Even though manufactured in 1954, I still refer to my airplane as a 1955 "model". (Just like the 1997 Saturn I bought in October of 1996 :wink: )
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

hilltop170 wrote:Doug-
I have never seen the straps on a 195 like you mention but my 1958 C-180 has them and were original from the factory.

The ends are a simple casting and should not be hard to make out of brass. Belt buckle manufacturers would be a good place to start. Anacortes Brass Works used to be one in Anacortes, Washington back in the 1980's but they are gone now.
I went through my 190/195IPC and I was able to find these listed... that part number is different so they are probably not exactly the same... different length maybe? See page 68 Figure 40 p/n0311618-100.

Between the 170, 180, 190, 195 series.. there must be cast-offs around... I guess it depends on whether you want an original or not....
Doug
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Cessna has new assist straps available, but they're flat instead of round and there seems to be two different lengths. I believe the C-170 requires the longer length.
BL
phantomphixer

assist straps

Post by phantomphixer »

I had the correct fittinings in my 55' 170B. Straps needed recovering-badly frayed. I recovered mine with white heat shrink , then protected that from getting dirty with clear heat shrink. You can get heat shrink in whatever color your interior is (within reason) Been in the aircraft since I recovered them in 2000. Look as good as new and I use mine every time I get in and out at 235lbs.
Phantomphixer
55' 170B N3585C
Somerton, AZ
scottgsaunders

N3493C -- I guess it IS a 1955 model

Post by scottgsaunders »

Miles,

Thanks for the info on the model year of my N3493C based on the serial number and model year of N3498C. I had been puzzling about my model year for a while. I knew from the original logs that it had an airworthiness paperwork from 1954 and a first flight in Wichita in late 1954. But, other paperwork, like the engine log for the O-300D that got hung in the 1960s, indicated it was a 1956 model. As we were dickering on price last summer, the seller broke me the news that his Trade-A-Plane add said 1956 model but that 93C was probably actually a 1954 model. My IA insisted it was in fact a 1956 model, not a 1954, because it had the modern tailwheel control assembly not installed on 1954 models.

Bottom line, I was thoroughly confused. Now it makes sense, however. A 1955 model. Gotta change my signature for postings now.
Scott Saunders
Alexandria VA
saundersst@yahoo.com
N3493C
1955 Cessna 170B
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Scott,
I'd also be interested in 4 attach fittings if the price was within reason.
Gary
Lucky

Post by Lucky »

Um...some people will go to astounding lengths to keep a classic original, and there's a lot of merit in that. But if the goal it to make it easier to get in and out of the aircraft, the whole thing could be done cheaper and better by getting some stainless hardware from any marine store and using climbing-spec cord or webbing. It's not original, but it's every bit as legal as having a piece forged, and probably a lot stronger. Just a thought.
scottgsaunders

Re: Assist Straps

Post by scottgsaunders »

Lucky, you have a good point about there being a much easier way. I may revert to that approach -- see below.

Bobo, update on the notion of having Anacortes Brass Works make up a batch of authentic fittings. When I emailed them for a preliminary quote to cast 20-30 pieces they declined to provide a quote. I had supplied digital pix of the brackets as well as rough dimensions, etc. and made it clear the required casting would be non-structural, cosmetic part of the aircraft, not a certified aircraft part. No rationale given for declining to do this sort of job. I don't have their email handy at the moment. I suppose it could have been a reluctance to be involved in "aircraft parts" , or maybe the job was just too small. Don't know.
Scott Saunders
Alexandria VA
saundersst@yahoo.com
N3493C
1955 Cessna 170B
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Jere and Marge Verdone at http://www.verdones.com will make the end fittings out of stainless for $40 each. Marge suggested contacting Restoration Specialties Corp for making the cord grips. Like Forrest Walton, I bought a pair of new assist straps from J.W. Duff in Denver for $65/ea.
Assist Strap Fitting
Assist Strap Fitting
If anyone needs a sample to make reproductions from send me a PM. Interestingly, I tried googling the number stamped on the cord grip. Turns out it is a patent number.
Cord Grip
Cord Grip
The only thing I couldn't find online was where to buy these fittings.
Gary
Blue4

Post by Blue4 »

I'm curious if anyone may have found better / other suppliers for this part. I had a passenger break the lower bracket upon entering my airplane on Sunday. He almost did a backflip off the floats.
-Scott
Blue4

Post by Blue4 »

In answer to my own question, JW Duff still had this part, although the price went up to $75 plus shipping. It took a while to find, and was in "salvage" condition, and I'm glad to have it! A little perseverance goes a long ways.
-S
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

The pictures of assist straps shown are differfent tham the ones that were in my airplane. Mine had a steel chain inside the "upholstered" outer cover.
BL