Del Lehmann, Mountain Airframe, Mena, AR

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ryan Smith

Re: Del Lehmann, Mountain Airframe, Mena, AR

Post by Ryan Smith »

jlwild wrote:There are now four 170's in for repair with Del. I arrived this afternoon, in N3415D, to have some aging aircraft repairs. So, my ship is number 4. Member planes belong to: Paul Wood, Miles Bowen, and Mike Purpura, plus mine. Del and his crew are doing excellent work. Del walked me around, showing it all off 8)
If 15D needed repairs, I may as well quit flying 56D! Your airplane is about as perfect as they come, Jim.

Del's the man for the job, though! Hopefully I can give him some business before he retires.
A&P/IA

Post by A&P/IA »

Dear members-
I am a new member, so please bear with me! I am an Alaskan A+P/IA with almost 30 years of experience in the aviation maintenance industry. Lots of experience with all makes and models of varying years, and of course Cessna is one of the ones on top. I'm not a pilot- my "better half" (my mate) does the flying- I just keep it safe, sound, and reliable. We currently fly a beautifully restored '55 170B we bought a couple of years ago that I'm trying to get a few paperwork issues resolved- one of which is an undocumented right wing taxi/landing light installation. Nice job, but no paperwork was submitted. I came across your forum and happened to find a post from Del Lehmann. He included his telephone number, so I gave him a call. Mr. Lehmann very generously helped me out, providing me with information and a contact for a DER I knew I'd need to submit a 337 field approval for the taxi/landing light installation. The aviation community is extremely lucky to have folks like him among us- experts in their field that will take the time to talk with someone they don't know from Adam, about such problems as undocumented installations, and be willing to help out. Del is a true gentleman and a professional, and I thank him very much for his help and assistance!
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

A&P/IA-
If you don't mind sharing, where in Alaska are you located? Have you considered joining the C170 Association? There are quite a few members in Alaska and we have a fly-in lunch every June at the 8-Mile strip about 8 miles SSE of Skwentna. You will definitely get you money's worth by joining. I'm located close to Birchwood, PABV.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Watched Thr movie called American made last night. I got a new appreciation for the boys in Mena Arkansas!
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Kyle Wolfe wrote:Watched Thr movie called American made last night. I got a new appreciation for the boys in Mena Arkansas!
I just watched it Wednesday evening myself. Also just realized I haven't received any auto replies from this thread for almost 2 years.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
DoubleOught

Post by DoubleOught »

Del, do you know where I might find Texas Taildragger kit for a Cessna 150 (1974) era ?
If this is not allowed on the 170 forum I understand . Thanks OOW
There are old pilots & There are bold pilots, But there are no old bold pilots !!!
2010 Team Tandem Airbike N700XX
1953 Cessna 170-B N3401C
First plane Cessna 175A N7000E
Agpilot27

Post by Agpilot27 »

Del, I am in need of some airframe repair. After removing my wings for recover, I found a crack at the lower strut attachment point. Below the floor and above and behind the bulkhead immediately behind the gear saddles. I believe it to be an airworthiness issue and not sure if it’s economical to repair. Just behind and below the right door post. I’ve owned the plane a little over 20years. I would assume it is from previous damage as it was unnoticeable without the strut being removed.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Agpilot, if Del doesn’t answer right away, give him a call; he’s pretty easy to talk to on the phone. If any shop can economically repair your issue, Mountain Airframe can.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Many thanks to Del Lehmann, Brett Hamm, and crew at Mountain Airframe, and to Doug Blair and crew at Mena Aircraft Painting (paint and interior) for making the Outstanding 170 Award at AirVenture 2021 possible! I’m sorry it took me four years to get it to Oshkosh…
E7E0B686-B848-4F52-A1ED-EFDAFFEA9E1F.jpeg
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne