Do you have later model seats installed?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Do you have Pilot/Co-pilot seats from another aircraft installed?

Yes.
13%
Seats from Pre-1965 Cessna.
43%
Seats from 1965-1975 Cessna.
20%
Seats from 1975-1985 Cessna.
4%
Seats from 1985 or Later Cessna.
2%
Seats of unknown origin.
19%

Total votes: 54

GAHorn

Re: Do you have later model seats installed?

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:
Grasshopper.Kingdom wrote:Why not stay out of other people's business? Why feed the Feds? It just costs the taxpayers and us money
What are you talking about?
I suspect he has recently-discovered this thread and is referring to my opening-post:
gahorn wrote:I am compiling an answer for the FAA regarding replacement seats.
If you have replaced your seats with those from another model cessna, please comment here. The report I make regarding this info will be only total numbers and seats involved,....no owner or aircraft identification will be made.
Here's the answer Mr. "Grasshopper Kindom" :

This subject IS EVERYONES BUSINESS, as you must know since by your response it's clear you realize it may affect YOU. The problem is that FAA has issued airworthiness concerns about certain airplane seats. They have issued AD notes regarding those seats which were originally installed in certain year model Cessnas. The point is that they identify the AD with the year model AIRPLANE...not the part number SEAT.... which could actually have been transferred to another model airplane and endanger that operator.
Now... since that defective seat MIGHT be in a 170... AND since NONE OF US want a "blanket AD note applied to all our 170's (which is the typical FAA method of addressing such situations).... I contacted FAA to point out the fault with their method of issuing the AD, specifically that their AD does not identify the defective part (the seat) but instead limits the directive to year-model of airplane. FAA's response was that seats are never installed in airplanes other than orginal, which we all know not to be true.
This thread/poll was intended to gather information to inform FAA that in actual fact, seats from one model airplane are actually installed in different models as a common practice... in the hope that FAA will recognize that their failure to identify seats by PART NUMBER may defeat the intent/purpose of an AD, and that simply applying the AD to all Cessnas is also improper and another form of needless government oversight.

This thread was also intended for yet another purpose: To bring to our Member's attention the need to know the pedigree of their seats.... AND...to show how simply because a product/part is approved for a different installation, that there are HOLES in the approval and notification processes regarding continued airworthiness.
I suspect there are many such situations where an otherwise airworthy part has been utilized in a different installation without subsequent concern about it's airworthiness.... as every year the AD list is examined and updated and the aircraft approved for return to service.... without owner OR inspector being aware that the title of newly-issued ADs may not bring to their attention the fact that an UN-airworthy part is existing in the airplane being returned to service.
Clearly, neither of the two want that situation to develop without their knowledge, and until FAA re-addresses how AD notes are identified then exactly that situation exists. (This is also an example of how IA's are tasked to determine airworthiness each year. Owners sometimes do not realize the behind-the-scenes work that is required of their inspectors (not to mention the associated liability) and/or understand why an IA who never-before has inspected a particular airplane quotes a high price to complete the job. It's because it's hard work and plenty of it, if he's to do a good job.)

Summary: This thread/poll is intended to prevent an unnecessary AD against your personal airplane.
Hope that helps you understand.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
minton

Post by minton »

Thanks for that blast of brilliance George!! That guy is way off base. Also thanks for acknowledging the liabilities taken on by AI's
170C

Post by 170C »

Is there any way to determine what year model (s) our Cessna (later model) seats may have come from? I know from whom I got the seats, but don't have any paperwork to show from what year Cessna they originated :?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If you have adopted parts from differing models aircraft to your aircraft, current FARs require that traceability be supported and ICA (Instructions for Continued Airworthiness) be included in the parts-transfer.
The problem is that so many aircraft were so-modified prior to the new rules, yet the new rules certainly still apply, therefore it's possible to have dangerous parts installed without owners being fully aware.
Unless you can locate a datatag or PN on the seats, you'll have to inspect it and compare it to known models of seats to make the determination. THEN you'll have to research that original model aircraft's AD lists and Service Manuals and Service Letters/Bulletins to see if any airworthiness issues apply. :|
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
DuaneShockey

Post by DuaneShockey »

yes