Source for baffle fastener?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Putting a large area countersunk washer (Aircraft Spruce p/n A3236-012-935) between the spring and the baffling might help save the baffling from getting worn from the wire.
Gary
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

How to post a picture on this forum (or how a dummy like me does it anyway):
The picture must already be located on a website somewhere else. You are actually posting an address location of where the picture is located (URL). Let’s try it!
Three steps:

1. Click on the Post Reply button – Click Img button (1 of the 9 buttons above the message box). Now all we have to do is put the location of the picture beside [Img].

2. How to get a picture’s address -
See that Travers and Associates or Avemco, ad picture, up there on the top right?
Put your curser on that picture, right click your mouse, scroll down to properties on the list, left click and the URL Address will come up in the properties info. Looks like this - http://cessna170.org/banners/Travers-Associates.jpg Just copy (by highlighting) this address and paste it after the [Img] button in your reply.

3. Click on the Img button again and you’re done. It all look like this -
[img]http://cessna170.org/banners/Travers-Associates.jpg[/img.]
Now click the Submit button and the picture will be in posted.

If you want to post your own picture – the picture must be put on a website. The simplest way is to email the picture to one of us with websites. Send me a picture, I’ll put it in my storage location on the petit jean website, then you can post the picture on the forums when you feel like it.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

blueldr wrote:Anyone that can't make those things has no business working on an airplane to start with.
Always the diplomat, aren;t you, Dick?

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
n2582d

Re: Source for baffle fastener?

Post by n2582d »

Rag Bag Aero Works has a great tutorial for making the engine baffle fastener spring wires here and baffle springs here. $300-400 for a Porter Spring Winder might be a bit overkill for making a couple of springs.
Gary
n2582d

Re: Source for baffle fastener?

Post by n2582d »

alaskan99669 wrote:Does any one know a source for Baffle Fastener Cessna Part No. 0450277-1 as pictured on page 53 item # 42? I can find lots of suppliers of baffle kits, but none of the pictures show the fasteners or even mention them.
Reviving an old thread here. If you ordered, or plan to order, a new baffle kit from Airforms be aware that these baffle wires and springs are not included in the kits. This kit of baffle wire and springs is available online. Be aware that they offer one kit for the "C-170 O-145" which has 8 springs for $47 and one kit for the "C-172 O-300" which has 12 springs for $68. If you intend to replace all the baffle springs/wires order the C-172 O-300 kit. Both the old "doghouse" style plenum cowling (fig. 52) and the later pressure cowling (fig. 53) use identical springs/wires.
Baffle wires.png
I've spent some time trying to match my original rusty springs with stainless steel springs of similar size and spring rate. Century Spring has p/n 71523S which appears to be a close match to what Cessna used. The problem is that they want $8.88/spring if less than 15 are ordered. The price goes down to $2.67/spring if 50-99 springs are ordered. If there are at least three other members interested in getting a set of twelve of these stainless steel springs for $32 + shipping and tax send me a PM or email.
Gary