aircraft primer

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Randolph

aircraft primer

Post by Randolph »

I'm trying to remember the name of the super duper, can't be beat, best in the world, 100% better than anything else, aricraft primer that they use at Flightcraft in Kelowna. Can anyone help. Thanks in advance. Randolph
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It's an epoxy polyamide that requires mixing with a catalyst and protective equipment/breathing apparatus to safely use. For small jobs, the shaker-cans of zinc chromate are still the next-best thing, IMHO.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
tshort

Post by tshort »

It is probably similar to AKZO 2 part epoxy chromate primer available from spruce.
I'm using it on parts for the RV-8 and it is bombproof. MEK won't remove it, and bucking bars, etc have a hard time scratching it. Very durable.

It is nasty stuff, though.

Thomas
Thomas Short
1948 C170 N3949V
RV-8 wings in progress
Indianapolis (KUMP)
n2582d

Epoxy Primer

Post by n2582d »

For reference here are a couple of other epoxy primers to consider when repainting your 170.

The first is from WLS Coatings. P/N 200-6 is a 2-part yellow epoxy primer. Order their R3 reducer with this. Del-Air is using this on what appears to be an award-winning C-170A restoration. Ironically the metal exposed to the weather is bare aluminum while the protected interior metal is primed with this impossible to remove primer. Another customer is Robinson Helicopters. They use this primer on their rotor blades. WLS Coatings is at 13413 S. Broadway in Los Angeles. Ask for John at (310) 538-2155.

I see that Aircraft Spruce recently added PTI's line of paint products. They have an epoxy polyamide available. See http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/c ... primer.php
Gary
iowa

Post by iowa »

is it true
that the horrible smelling primers
are the least toxic?
and vice versa?
thanks
iowa
1951 170A 1468D SN 20051
1942 L-4B 2764C USAAC 43-572 (9433)
AME #17747
n2582d

Cessna Recommended Epoxy Primer

Post by n2582d »

This video shows MIL-PRF-2337G or later to be the current spec for an epoxy primer in areas of non-fuel tank parts. That is a typo; it should be MIL-PRF-23377G or later. They use AkzoNobel 10P8-11 in non-fuel tank areas. Google the MIL-Spec number (without the "G") for cheaper alternatives.
Gary
T. C. Downey

Re: aircraft primer

Post by T. C. Downey »

This is the best primer for metal I have found, It ships Haz Mat free, it is water born, your equipment cleans up with soap and water, what's left over in your gun goes back into the can. (no wasted paint) This primer can be over coated by any paint system, Randolph, Emron or any other URA product can be used to top coat.

It is thinned to spray with water, dries in minutes and can not be stripped by any stripper I have found.

http://www.stewartsystems.aero/products ... ray-gallon
minton

Re: aircraft primer

Post by minton »

As I recall there are "Primers" and there are (Primers). The two serve totally different purposes.
1). Paint primer, for use to build up surfaces and provide a compatible surface for finish coats to adhere to.
2). A protective coat to prevent corrosion. (Not to be over coated)
The second was originally developed to contain a sacrificial compound that was given up instead of allowing corrosion to establish itself on the coated metal. These days that seems to have gone out the window and now provides a sealed coating that is impervious to moisture, corrosive liquids and other compounds without the sacrificial components. This came about from our friendly EPA folks attempting to regulate us out of business. :D The old Chromate products were great! I think A/C Spruce might still offer that product but you must read the ingredients carefully as many don't contain Chromate anymore. Same caution with the "NEW" and improved MEK's. When you do find it use the normal safety breathing equipment.