Which new cylinders are the best? ECI,Superior,Continental?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

counsellj

Re: Which new cylinders are the best? ECI,Superior,Continent

Post by counsellj »

I recently purchased a new Superior cylinder. I had been watching various suppliers over the last several months and about 70% of the time, I could find at least one supplier with cylinders in stock. Prices are all within a few dollars of each other. If you are looking for several cylinders, I would start looking and buying ahead of time.

Jughead
170C

Post by 170C »

Two different situations. First you have an engine (O300) that you put new ECI steel cylinders on back 20 yrs ago. Now you hope to overhaul your engine ( say 1700 + since new cylinders) by just doing cylinder work. Do you op for spending the $$ for new cylinders or do you overhaul and likely chrome your old ones?

Second, you have 1200-1500 hours on that same engine and one or two cylinders need work. Is it best to have those cylinders overhauled or purchase overhauled cylinders from some supplier and turn your two in as cores?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I meant to include the info my planes... The 170 has 1,000 hrs on it's overhaul with overhauled TCM steel cyls, and I've replaced 3 of those with new Superiors in the last 500 hrs. (Two due to exhaust-port cracks and one simply because it was below 60 and new Superior seemed cost-effective rather than a "repair on a repair".
The Superiors are... well... superior, IMO. They're running fine but with only a few hundred hours on them so far.

The "trainer" 172 came with 5 new ECI nickel cls installed on it's last overhaul in 2014 and had one replaced with a Superior last year before I bought it. (The ECI nickel cyl which was removed was repaired (valve work) and re-certified to new-limits, and included as a "spare" in my purchase. It is very low time and if anyone needs one it can be traded very reasonably along with it's piston and new rings, which were all part of the recertification. Make me an offer.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

hilltop170 wrote:400 hours on my ECI nickel-carbide cylinders, all in the high 70s at last annual with no known issues so far. Oil consumption 12hrs/qt.

I still have my fingers crossed.
Same here.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne