Fuel cap

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

flyer170

Fuel cap

Post by flyer170 »

I have a fuel cap that is leaking. It is the unvented type, kind of flat looking. It has a rubber gasket inside the cap. What are some suggestions for repair :?: I have a vented cap on the other side.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. :)
Bob
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

Both of the caps on my 170B are leaking :cry: They are both vented caps, and I have replaced the gasket on both of them...so the fuel must be coming out of the vent assembly itself. The right cap really puts it overboard to the point that I see the fuel stain on the leading edge of the right horizontal stabilizer 8O This is really a sight since I am using that good ol car gas when I can get it. I am just going to get new caps from Univair and keep the new gaskets I bought as spares.
Just a thought here, but in all of the GA aircraft I have flown, I can't recall ever seeing a leaking fuel cap :? Now that I have a 170...with leaking caps, I am hearing from others with leaking caps. Is it my imagination or does the 170 seem to be the only GA aircraft with a tendancy to vent or leak fuel overboard from the fill caps :?: If so...will new caps indeed fix the problem :?:
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV