Compass Mountiing

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

wa4jr

Compass Mountiing

Post by wa4jr »

I have a '54 B model that has the compass mounted in the panel. I would like to move the compass to the windscreen...or have it hard mounted to the small vertical surface of the airframe at the top of the windscreen and then hang down for viewing on some type of stauncion. I have an idea this would make the compass more reliable as it would be farther away from all the metal in the panel and also free up another valuable mounting hole in the panel.
Does anyone have any ideas :?: There is a nice B model parked on the transit ramp next to me at DWH with a compass mounted on the top of the panel, but this arrangement requires that you give up the handle hole in the top of the panel.
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
N1277D

Compass Mounting

Post by N1277D »

My 170A has the compass mounted to the windshield and it works well there. The windshield has been replaced with the single STCd plexiglass type with no center strip. The compass is enclosed in a housing/fitting which is attached to a mounting block on the windsheild. The block appears to be made out of plexiglass and is glued ? to the windshield. The metal fitted mounting bracket screws into this plexiglass block. The compass mount might be out of a latter model cessna with the compass windshield mount. I will check the logbooks and see what they say about it.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There should be no problem using an aluminum strip to mount it directly to the centerstrip of the standard windshield. Airpath, Spruce, WagAero, and others offer such a mount as a standard item.
JDH

Post by JDH »

Mine is mounted on top of the panel. It is positioned in the center and does not affect the hand-grab holes. If you mount it high, more exposure to the heat of the sun? and you'll have to run longer wire for light. JD