Broken tail wheel spring retainer channel

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Barry Byrne

Broken tail wheel spring retainer channel

Post by Barry Byrne »

While untying my tail the other day, I discovered that my tail wheel spring retainer channel (IPC Fig 29, item #8) was broken. (1955 B model) Apparently this isn't the first time it's happened, there was evidence of an attempt some time in the past to weld the 'tab' at the aft end back on.

What at first looked like was going to be an easy fix now looks to be a time consuming job. Cessna didn't provide any access to the nuts that hold the channel to the bulkhead at Sta. 228. (Why didn't they put nut plates there!) Some thought was given to cutting an inspection hole, but was discarded since the area is too 'curvey' and there are many doublers. It looks like the only way in there is to remove both the vertical and horizontal stabilizers.

As a preliminary step before starting in on this repair, I took a look at 8 or 10 170s base here in ANC. Interesting thing, no two tails were alike, and several of them also had been welded. Hmmm.

I seems to remember a message thread on the old board about this problem, but it's no longer available.

So, I was wondering what experiences any of the troops have had replacing this channel?

And as a second question, in the IPC on the same page, there is a part listed that was found on none of the planes I looked at, including mine. It's listed as a Guard - tailwheel steering chain, item #16. Does anyone have it?
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

For what its worth , I've replaced that channel for the same reason but I had the tail feathers off . Problem area as that bolt item (2) was curved like my hockey stick. The prvious owner had flown the aircraft for years (20?) with that tab missing and compensated by adding a spacer plus tightening up on the u-bolt to compensate. The other part is simply a piece 0f .032 with a rivet to centre it in the spring and as far as I can tell enjoys the ride.