Combined Engine Instruments

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

My '54 currently has separate instruments for engine oil pressure, temperature, and carburetor air temp. This is taking up a lot of space. I would like to hear from owners who have used a combined instrument for oil pressure and temperature. Any recommendations as to model numbers and manufacturer? If I can combine the engine oil temp and pressure indicating funtions on one instrument, then I can have room for an EGT gauge (gage) :?

Part two...once I have removed the separate engine oil temp and pressure instruments, what do I do with them :?: I don't want to throw away good working instruments :( Is there a place that will buy good used/working instruments :?:

Speaking on not wanting to throw away parts, I still have a lovely set of Madras droop tips that I recently removed from my '54. I can use them as a conversation piece in my yard, but would rather see someone put them to good use on their 170 and floooat along the runway into the sunset :twisted: Yours for the cost of shipping :lol:
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
Trapper

Drop Tips

Post by Trapper »

Let me know if you still have your drop tips. I'll take them off your hands.
Can you send a picture to kayremar @ bc internet . net . Take the spaces out of that e-mail address to use it.
Thank you.
Trapper
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Look at the Westach combination and "quad" series available from Aircraft Spruce, 877/477-7823. (Their Website will let you see these gauges online.) http://www.aircraftspruce.com
n2902d

Post by n2902d »

Last annual I replaced my separate oil pressure and temperature gauges with a 3-in-1 engine gauge from a Piper twin with Lycoming engines. This 3 1/8 inch gauge also added CHT capabilities, which is my real reason for the conversion. The gauge was made by Kelly Instruments in Wichita, the range markings matched my O-360 exactly, and it was an FAA/PMA'd part. I got it from an aircraft salvage yard in Griffin, GA for $125; and the two required probes were about $250 new through Aircraft Spruce and Alcor. The oil probe is an MS28032-1(?), and an AN 5546 for CHT. Field approval was simple with no fuss. My old Scott gauges now reside in my storage box in the attic. It's nice to keep track of 2902D's ticker by just watching one instrument. FWIW.

Mike
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

Thanks George, for the tip. I was already heading in that direction. The Westach "quads" would be perfect, but since you talked me out of removing my MP gauge :) I no longer have the possibility of freeing up a 3.125 inch hole. Will have to go with a 2.25" combined instrument, which only Westach has...listed at the top of page 347 in the Spruce catalog. I don't think these are FAA/PMA approved, but will get the job done. Funny how Westach has FAA/PMA approval on their individual oil temp and pressure gauges, but not on their combined unit :? :x

On EGT gauges....a big price difference between Westach and Alcor. Does anyone have and good/bad experiences to pass on regarding these units :?: Is the Westach EGT at $75 just as good as the Alcor EGT at $215 :?:

Of course I may be able to afford the Alcor unit since I am saving a bundle pumping good old mogas out of my trailer mounted 55 gallon drum at $1.27 per gallon vs. the $2.70 per gallon avgas here in Front Royal :D
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
Bill Venohr

Post by Bill Venohr »

I installed a Westach and it has worked just fine for the past year.
Bill Venohr
N4044V
Aurora, CO
hetch

Post by hetch »

Regarding EGTs. I have had Westach gauges in 2 planes I have owned, and not been satisfied with them. On my 170, I replaced it with a KS Avionics EGT, and recommend it. I believe that Alcor is also well regarded. The KS is temperture compensated, expanded scale. I believe the Alcor is similar. Consider the features and quality of the gauge, and the durability and response time of the probes. Sorry, this is not a no-brainer. All EGTs are not alike. I think the KS is STC'd for 170s, but please confirm, if you care.

It sounds like you are only considering an analog gauge. These are the only ones I am familiar with. When I adjust for a peak, I perfer analog.

If you are lucky and careful, you get what you pay for. It is difficult to get more than you pay for. It is especially painful to pay twice before you are happy. I sincerely hope the other folks continue to be satisfied with their Westach. I know that Westach units are popular. I am not sure if it is price, or the multiple functions that makes them popular.
Glenn
'50 170A N5493C
lcranton

Post by lcranton »

John, I have to agree with the comments regarding the Westach EGT. I have had one in my C170 for 12 years (1100 hours) and I have had to replaced the probe at least once. The Westach EGT probe does not seem to be as robust as an Alcor or JPI. If you want an analog gauge I would stick with the Alcor or other high quality EGTs. I have had good luck with the Alcor in other aircraft. If you want a digital EGT you might look at the JPI or Electronic International. On the subject of separate engine instruments I have had the TSO'd Westach oil pressure, oil temperature and CHT instruments in the 170 for 12 years and have had no problems. They have always worked great. However I believe the TSO'd oil presure gauge uses a different sending unit than the non-TSO'd guages. Depending on you local FSDO you may have a problem getting the non-TSO'd combined Oil pressure/temerature gauge approved. You might want to check before you purchase the guage. Currently I am converting the 170 to a 220 Franklin and need to change the engine instrument due to the engine operating ranges. I have looked for a TSO'd alternative to the Westach gauges but for the money have found no candidates.

Larry