RE man 0-300 -- C 145 in Crate

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

RE man 0-300 -- C 145 in Crate

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Can I purchase a re manufactured engine for my C 170B?

Existing recent work - Ship in in 7-10 Days. Crated - Motor Freight

Where would it ship from ?

Who do you write the Check to?
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
GAHorn

Re: RE man 0-300 -- C 145 in Crate

Post by GAHorn »

It depends upon what you mean by “re manufactured”.

Here’s one zero TSMOH O-300-D with all accessories in Germany (which is likely a very good overhaul due to German requirements to adhere exactly to TCM specs) for $15K that’s currently ($17K U.S.) https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?ca ... ype=engine
9AC8CA45-036D-4DA3-8E08-62FBFDCE8DA0.jpeg
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

GAHorn wrote:It depends upon what you mean by “re manufactured”.

Here’s one zero TSMOH O-300-D with all accessories in Germany (which is likely a very good overhaul ... .
There is a lot of confusion over terminology. Here’s a good article by AvWeb on the subject. According to FAR91.421(a) only the manufacturer or an agency approved by the manufacturer can “zero time” an engine.

The price for that engine seems too good to be true. I’d want to see the approval basis for putting an 8 bolt prop in a O-300-D. Also don’t like the use of elastic stop nuts on engines.
Gary
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

n2582d wrote:The price for that engine seems too good to be true. I’d want to see the approval basis for putting an 8 bolt prop in a O-300-D. Also don’t like the use of elastic stop nuts on engines.
Probably too good to be true is right Gary.

I'm pretty sure my eyes are not deceiving me counting only 6 prop holes in that flange, however no matter how hard I looked I didn't see any elastic stop nuts though in some spots on the accessory case the IPC did call for them.

Had it had an 8 bolt crank there are 3 ways I know one might do that installation. First and likely the best is to simply get Continentals permission to do it and that is exactly what member Jim Wildharber has. We've posted his paperwork from Continental here I believe. The second is to use the STC, supposedly in the public domain, according to member Ron Massicot who received that permission from the owner. And third would be to use Continentals SB to convert from a -D to a -A or -B.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It’s been my experience in dealing with European and UK/Commonwealth aircraft components and mx that the standards are more rigidly followed than by U.S. SB’s, SL’s, AD’s, and life-limited items are not allowed to be skipped. This example includes the accys, mount, etc. and the pics look to be well-executed. ( I realize “paint overhauls” are common in the U.S. but I’ve not seen it in Europe examples and Germany has one of the best reputations.)
The comment that the engine was not installed due to a bankruptcy does raise a question for me... WHO went bankrupt? The buyer, the seller, the overhauler? The aircraft owner? If it was the overhauler I’d be most concerned but the others would not bother me as long as clear ownership is confirmed.
I would want assurances the engine ownership/title is clear and without liens and that the documentation promised is viewable before payment. The engine mount is included apparently. The core of all this being sold is worth a third of the asking price. The exhaust alone is worth $1500.
Use an escrow service. Don’t just send money.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:I'm pretty sure my eyes are not deceiving me counting only 6 prop holes in that flange, however no matter how hard I looked I didn't see any elastic stop nuts though in some spots on the accessory case the IPC did call for them...
Bruce, you’re correct. I was looking at what appeared to be holes in the flange just above the wood brace but they wouldn’t match the spacing of the top holes which are clearly visible. It is a six bolt crank. You’re also right about the elastic stop nuts being what is called for in the IPC. The tach drive and the generator both call for elastic stop nuts. Curiously they have TCM part numbers rather than standard AN numbers. ‘Ya learn something new every day! I was thinking of AC 43.13 paragraph 7-64 (f), “Fiber or nylon self-locking nuts are not installed in areas where temperatures exceed 250°F.”
Click to Enlarge.
Click to Enlarge.
Gary
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Gary, I should have said I hadn't seen any elastic nuts in the one picture I'd seen. I realized later you and others may have looked at the add with other pictures.

Many years ago now after buying my first 170, after my military aircraft training and of course knowing what AC 43.13 said, I was horrified** to find elastic stop nuts on my C-145. First order of business was getting those out of there and replacing them with the correct hardware per the IPC. 8O

Since then, on occasion of about every annual, my eagle eye IA would point out I needed to replace those elastic stop nuts with proper hardware. I'd ask if the IPC would be where I'd find the proper hardware and he would give me a blank stare knowing I knew better than to ask and something was up. :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I ran into this at my first convention when I asked Ron’s Aircraft ( a so-called genuine Cessna Authorized facility) on the North Las Vegas airport to change my generator which had failed enroute.
Ron immediately criticized the fact the failed generator was installed with fiber-lock nuts and promised to replace them with “the proper lock-nuts”. I responded that I certainly hoped he would use “NEW fiber-lock nuts”.... just like the IPC prescribes. It wasn’t the only screw-up his shop committed that week. (A search of these forums will tell the long tale about generator failure, Ron’s Aircraft, and Las Vegas.)
http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... s+aircraft
mschlender

Post by mschlender »

Don't like to see crankshaft as a support
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

mschlender wrote:Don't like to see crankshaft as a support
It’s common practice.
Attachments
FB30398E-0BE5-46CA-B365-27BD850E700E.jpeg
FB30398E-0BE5-46CA-B365-27BD850E700E.jpeg (20.53 KiB) Viewed 8702 times
3B126BDB-D73E-4AF0-8E06-26E3E1DA45BC.jpeg
3B126BDB-D73E-4AF0-8E06-26E3E1DA45BC.jpeg (15.65 KiB) Viewed 8703 times