ADS-B IN (SCOUT)

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

ADS-B IN (SCOUT)

Post by 170C »

Curious if anyone has had an issue with the uAvioni Scout unit when using ForeFlight? I've been using a Scout since 2018 prior to getting the TailBeacon unit. I'm having issues with the Scout disconnecting. Sometimes it works as it should and other times not. They sent me a new unit at no charge which is not an updated unit and it has the same issue. I've been working with FF and uAvioni, but so far no solution.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Re: ADS-B IN (SCOUT)

Post by GAHorn »

A few times I’ve experienced a “disconnect/reconnect” of my uAvionics SkySensor (which might be the same ADS-B IN software/hardware as your unit) and the way I resolved it was to momentarily turn my NAV lights OFF then back ON... re-booting my uAvionics units. (I have the SkyBeacon on the left and the SkySensor on the right wingtips.)

This has always solved the problem almost immediately as soon as they come back online after the re-boot.

I also suspect that the “Anonymous” mode interferes with the software, because it NEVER happens when i’m assigned an ATC txdr code. I am about to disable anonymous anyway, as it doesn’t do anything but prevent another person from seeing your registration number ... it doesn’t prevent ATC from knowing who you are.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

Thanks for your suggestion George. I'll give it a trial. FF has apparently exhausted its efforts to resolve my issue and have suggested my dealing with uAvioni. They say their engineers have no more suggestions.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Mschwarzkopf

Post by Mschwarzkopf »

I love the Scout, but I’ve been having the same issues. It seems to disconnect a few times each flight.

I spoke to the ForeFlight peeps at Oshkosh and they suggested I send them a datalog file from the Scout when it disconnected. They could then troubleshoot the issue and maybe see what’s going on. I haven’t done it, and don’t even recall where to look to find the datalog.

After cycling my portable battery to the Scout, it usually connects quickly. Frustrating.

Mike
Mike Schwarzkopf
'51 C170A - N1471D