Air Box repair kit

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bella

Air Box repair kit

Post by bella »

I was reaching out to see if anyone has used the Mcfarlane FG-105 air box repair kit. My C-145 carb heat shaft is worn and my A.I. and I are planning a preemptive repair at the annual in March. I am interested in difficulties, things to watch out for, and any techniques that would be helpful. I did a search but didn’t find any info on using the kit. Thanks Thomas 1952 170B
daedaluscan

Re: Air Box repair kit

Post by daedaluscan »

I have not used the kit, but mine was only significantly worn on the side that I could access. Turned up a small brass bushing to replace the worn one and it works very smoothly. I think you may have to unbraze a fitting in the box, replace parts and rebraze to use the kit?
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

Repaired mine last year with the repair kit from McFarlane. The Teflon bushings are not approved for the O-300 air box. Don't know why? Most challenging part was getting the flapper disconnected from the shaft. After replacing the bearings we silver soldered the flapper to the new shaft. My old bearings were spot welded (5) to the air box so we were able to attache the new bearing to the air box by leaving the portion of the old bearings still spot welded to the air box. We used bolts/nuts to attach the new bearings. Now everything is tight and works well.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Any airbox condition/repair deserves special scrutiny. Imagine if a piece of that assembly came loose and is sucked up into the engine.
Rivets, bolts, nuts, cracked pieces of metal “loose” flappers (butterfly valves) etc can lead to a catastrophic and expensive event.

If you have SCEET/SCAT hose leading to the airbox, what condition are the spiral-wire support within that hose. (One reason I like SCEET is the inner liner that not only protects the wire from corrosion which will produce rust-flakes to be ingested, it also helps keep that wire contained within the hose. This is good not only for carburetor/intakes but also for generator/alternator cooling hose, etc....anywhere loose wire pieces could migrate and cause damage.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)