New member prebuy questions

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

groshel

New member prebuy questions

Post by groshel »

Going thru a 52 B that a couple of techs bought thinking they were going to repair and maybe learn to fly in...with ground loop damage to the left wing that seems typical ...tip, outboard and second rib, lower outboard skin....etc

During my look-see into the landing gear box area I discovered that the rudder heel pans are actually large access panels underfloor forward of the gearbox area.....and similar large panels are on the outside of the fuselage just aft of the firewall and below the rudder pedal area.

Very invasive in my opinion and since the FAA records don’t reflect this mod and airframe logs only exist since 1993 I don’t know if this thing is legit...any opinions on the follow pics..

Thanx

Chris
External both side...Fiberglas with mitral frame
External both side...Fiberglas with mitral frame
Below both heel pans
Below both heel pans
ghostflyer

Re: New member prebuy questions

Post by ghostflyer »

If it’s not in the log book it’s not legal . I do not know of a repair scheme of that nature authorised by Cessna . While the “inspection panels” in the cabin floor “could”be structurally sound but the outside repairs , I would be looking for a repair scheme signed off on that . To me as a engineer no way known would I entertain a repair on the outside skin in that area. While a overlay patch “could “ be done , it would be prudent If a total replacement of that panel was done . Plus the left hand strut appears not to be the correct strut for that model but open for discussion. If the books are not available [lost or destroyed] any modifications or repairs can recertified by authorised persons after inspections and appropriate drawings supplied.
The Cessna structural repair manual is a good source of information.
Looking at the bottom photo it appears it’s not the first time the lower belly panel has been replaced because the one shown in the photo appears not to be original .
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I guess you haven’t taken this apart yet. Could it be there are large holes in the original skin. Then a flush patch lays on the outside skin held in place by a doubler on the outside resulting in 2 skins screwed to the original skin. Added puzzle is the hole on the skin on the inside aft of the pedals which would be ok if there was a flange fabricated to attach a flush cover rather than have a skin lay on top.
Swami sees swarf piles in your future.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Sorry David I was formulating a reply and didn’t see yours but certainly it’s different. I thought the strut was ok for a 52, tough to say if the fasteners have been replaced due to the pixel count. Looking closer it appears that there’s a dent and deformation in the L/h lap joint which suggests the lower engine mount stringer also may have been damaged. All repairable.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I’m not aware of any modification which converts the rudder-pedal scuff-pads to removable inspection panels.
Also, the bottom photo is a modification I’ve never witnessed. There’s a need for further inspection and engineering-approval or repair in my opinion.
I don’t see the problem referenced by others regarding the strut. Anyone care to expand on that? (Looks like an ordinary strut to me. There were three different methods of attachment of the strut-to-extrustion/end-piece, any of which can be used on any A or B model.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
groshel

Post by groshel »

Thanks ghostflyer...I concur

Somebody put a lot of effort into the external parts but used Fiberglas to form the skin contour and aluminum rivnuts to tie it all together. Being a semi-monocoque structure ....that just looks like two honk’in holes to me. actually four...this exists on both sides ....and it has to have compromised the fuselage integrity somewhat.

I surmise they did this to facilitate landing gear box repair work...the box areas looked great with lots of new hardware and some urethane primed parts...but again no record of any of that work either.

I couldn’t imagine any Repair Station would do a job like that under their work order. And I’m not going to do the “paper-trail” on the data at this time. Life is too short ....also I wouldn't consider reskining the belly. Just going to keep looking for another plane. Got a mandate from my wife to find a nice plane this year...not a second career rebuilding one. I’m
a retired A&P / IA with a background in aircraft manufacturing and MX...but very new to Cessna aircraft and am getting tired and feel kind of sad at looking at 65+ y.o. aircraft that have been hacked up over their life.

I’ve been lurking here for a while and have an appreciation for all the knowledge you all have on these old birds.

C170b53....saw your post....the IPC shows no panels in that area on the outside. Regarding area below the pedals...they weren’t far off from doing a nice repair..but put the .090” thick heel pans down with Type A sheet metal screws...
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Oh I wasn’t suggesting there are panels in the original structure.
I’ve replaced that skin, its work and takes time but it’s fairly easy. As for the inside panel, if you knew how to repair a gearbox, the kick plate skin is a cinch to remove which likely means In this case “ Run Forrest Run”.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Strange stuff there. Did the two guys already buy it? If so, might as well use it to learn how to replace the belly skin and forward floorboard skin.

If they haven't already bought it, don't!
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Groshel
Welcome, excellent lurking but thanks for finally jumping into the fray, well done. Sounds like your wife is a keeper and quite wise. If you’re retired and an x Mx guy using your remaining time to fly, sounds like sound thinking to me. Again hope you find the right 170 soon.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
groshel

Post by groshel »

Thanks for the kind comments...Got a good wife that supports my addiction .. encouraged me when we sold our Grumman of 25 years and bought a Husky.....but she now realizes she hates riding tandem and she has a PPL!

Am looking for the right airframe for maybe a Lyc 180 STC but at this point I’d just be happy with a nice stock plane. Got my STOL fix with the Husky (w/MT prop). Friends are constantly pressuring me into a C-180 which neither of us care for

This aircraft is a good project for someone who has the time to put into it. Except for the left obd wing damage and these holes it looks pretty close to stock.

And the search goes on..

Chris
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

That aircraft appears to have slight lean to it also. Regarding struts I was always under the impression that 170a struts were shorter than the 170b struts . It was the length of the strut that gave the 170b it’s wing dihedral. The attach fasteners on the struts have a more pointed locking collar on the 170a as the 170b struts have a more round end . And in saying this I have seen 170a fuselages mated up with struts and wings off a Cessna 175. My information is only second hand and it was part of a L O N G conversation that I had with Harry Delecker about 6 years ago. I learnt more in the 5 hours I spent with Harry than the last 20 years that I have been playing around with Cessna 170,s . I had left my wife and daughter in the car for a few minutes while I spoke to Harry . OMG was she angry with me ,as she went looking for me on the airport and couldn’t find me . [ I had the car keys]. :roll: