Rear seat seat belts

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N8293A

Rear seat seat belts

Post by N8293A »

I am ordering replacement belts for the rear seats on my ‘53 B model. I’m ordering from BAS to match the shoulder harnesses in the front seats. I’ve sent photos of my existing belt arrangement to BAS, and they said they can’t duplicate my exact installation. I am curious, what do others, who have BAS rear seat belts, have for lengths. What is the preferred length of the “tab” side? What is the length of the “buckle” side. BAS says these are customizable and I’m trying to decide what lengths would be best. Obviously, passenger girth is the ultimate determining factor, but does the collective brain trust have a general or average length?
Steve McGreevy
N8293A '53 C170B
DaveF

Re: Rear seat seat belts

Post by DaveF »

On my rear seat, the lap belts are attached to the seat frame. The short (buckle) sides are in the middle, and their belts are much too long, so for most passengers the shoulder belt doesn't really cross the chest properly. I've been meaning to have new lap belts made. I'll get some pictures and measurements for you, but I think the short sides should be about six inches long.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

As long as they will be custom belts, get adjusters on both the tab side and buckle side and make each side 24” long. That way no matter what size a passenger or baggage is, they will work. With adjusters on both sides the buckle can always be centered on the passenger and they can double as cargo straps when you have baggage in the rear seat. Make sure to order the tab side tang long enough for shoulder harnesses if you ever decide to add them.

My dad was a BIG boy and used to sit in the middle of the rear seat and fasten the outboard sides of the rear seat belts. I put the buckles on the left and tab side on the right on both sides. Most folks are right-handed and its easier to hold the buckle in the left hand and stab the tab with the right as well as easier to release with the right hand. The adjusters and longer belt length basically give infinite adjustment and also allows the buckle and tab to hang over the front of the seat bottom when no passengers or baggage are carried.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
N8293A

Post by N8293A »

Richard,
That’s basically what I have now, and I like it. BAS said they can’t duplicate that because their supplier, AmSafe, doesn’t use the 3 bar slide adjuster on my style application. It’s very curious, and confusing. The only thing I can surmise is they look at that adjustment style as a week point, and they want these sewn at fixed lengths. Making the only adjustment at the buckle
Steve McGreevy
N8293A '53 C170B