Cowling compatibility

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Poncho73

Cowling compatibility

Post by Poncho73 »

The cowls on my 48 are fairly worn and almost beyond economic repair. I have a set of 53 cowls, they are slightly different. Question, can they be switched out and is that approved? Yes the 53 has both access doors on the upper cowl.
cessna170bdriver

Re: Cowling compatibility

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I’m fairly sure the newer cowl would fit the airplane and engine, but you’d also have to change the baffling too. The cooling system changed completely between ‘52 and ‘53.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

cessna170bdriver wrote:I’m fairly sure the newer cowl would fit the airplane and engine, but you’d also have to change the baffling too. The cooling system changed completely between ‘52 and ‘53.
My thinking as well. The early versions had the internal cylinder wrap around baffles and the sealed area is located at the front by the cowl by the two inlets. On the later models (with no internal pressure covers) it seal up tight against the rear where the accessory case mates to the engine. As long as the new cowl fits the same near the front it would make no difference? Not sure...
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

new baffles.jpg
Sealed area at front.
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

Does anyone have a picture of the later versions they could share? :?:
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The IPC would illustrate it fairly well. You’ll need that IPC if you plan to do this conversion anyway.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

gahorn wrote:The IPC would illustrate it fairly well. You’ll need that IPC if you plan to do this conversion anyway.
I have both IPC’s. I guess I didn’t ask correctly, as long as both cowls close off the airflow at the front either will work. Just wondering if anyone has done this before.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Poncho73 wrote:
gahorn wrote:The IPC would illustrate it fairly well. You’ll need that IPC if you plan to do this conversion anyway.
I have both IPC’s. I guess I didn’t ask correctly, as long as both cowls close off the airflow at the front either will work. Just wondering if anyone has done this before.
Cessna did it... :wink:
(can’t find that smartazz emoticon).
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

gahorn wrote:
Poncho73 wrote:
Cessna did it... :wink:
(can’t find that smartazz emoticon).
OK, got it. I’m going to see a 53 barn find tomorrow. We will see what that brings.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

The original 170,s and 170a all had the plenum chambers over the cylinders and the later 170b,s went to the pressure cowl.
I had a 170a with the plenum chamber and couldn’t wait to go to the pressure cowl when I fitted the 4 banger. That was a big mistake . The plenum chamber is the most efficient system . In the end I have rebuilt the plenum system and fitted the plenum in a form . It’s the most efficient system. It proves that I make mistakes .
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

ghostflyer wrote:The original 170,s and 170a all had the plenum chambers over the cylinders and the later 170b,s went to the pressure cowl.
I had a 170a with the plenum chamber and couldn’t wait to go to the pressure cowl when I fitted the 4 banger. That was a big mistake . The plenum chamber is the most efficient system . In the end I have rebuilt the plenum system and fitted the plenum in a form . It’s the most efficient system. It proves that I make mistakes .
Just like my 48, I would leave the plenum system too.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

ghostflyer wrote:The original 170,s and 170a all had the plenum chambers over the cylinders...
The last year for the internal plenum was the '52 B model.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce is correct, of course. The ‘53 B-model introduced the pressure-cooling cowling and improved cabin heat/ventilation. (And after SN 25612 changed the gear-legs to the handed “lady legs”... no longer interchangeable left/right.)

It is arguable which cooling system is better. Cessna never went back to the previous.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Poncho73 wrote:The cowls on my 48 are fairly worn and almost beyond economic repair. I have a set of 53 cowls, they are slightly different. Question, can they be switched out and is that approved? Yes the 53 has both access doors on the upper cowl.
To get back to the original question, you may be plowing new ground here. I don’t recall anyone saying they have done it and Cessna didn’t ever mix pressure cowls and plenum cowls as far as I know, it was either one way or the other. The first thing to check would be if the pressure cowl has the same screw pattern where it attaches to the boot cowl.

I don’t see why you couldn’t leave the plenum in place and install a pressure cowl as long as you get a good seal around the intake area up front between the plenum and pressure cowl. If you leave the plenum in place and use the pressure cowl, make sure there is no interference between the two which would rub holes in one or the other.

The pressure cowl uses a different rear bulkhead than the plenum but if you wanted to change out the entire cowl/baffle system it might just work.

Approval is another issue I can’t reply to. It might be like changing landing gear, either style is ok?
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

With my STC for the 4 hangar there isn’t any mention of change of cowling but there was A kit of baffles to be fitted .they had to be modified slightly due to engine differences. Both the baffles and plenum chamber work well. I have had issues with the regulator on this as they are under the impression the plenum should go . Ok show me the paper work where it says I have to. Gee, I love the rules when they go my way.